beautiful mind

Request by @natasha_romanoff06

Background: Reader has a form of autism. They have selective mutism and are a bit slower in coming up with words but they are extremely smart. Natasha helps and encourages them to speak. 

I'm gonna take a minute to speak about autism awareness. Autism is not a joke and it is not something to be made fun of. Autism comes in many different forms and it can be very frustrating for many people with it. Some may struggle to find the words and some may not be able to express themselves. But there is one thing I know for sure. People with autism are full of love, they learn hate from us when we show it. Be kind guys. Your not fighting their battle. And they have such beautiful minds 

Natasha's POV:

Y/N walked into the living room while Tony, Bruce, Steve and I were discussing an artifact we found during our last mission. I scooted over so she could sit and she sat next to me. I smiled at her then continued to listen to the boys bicker 

"ok but Bruce where is its chamber that holds the serum?" Tony asked while holding the small device, Bruce snatched it from him "how the hell am I supposed to know?" Steve sat up "you invented something like it" Bruce nodded "yeah something like it but not this" he placed it on the table and Y/N picked it up, I watched her examine the device and Tony looked at her "Y/N do you understand anything about it?" she sat there and Tony spoke again "Y/N?" I looked at him "give her a minute she's thinking" he nodded and went back to Bruce "so if there's no compartment for liquid what was in this thing?"

Y/N got up and grabbed my hand. I walked with her and she took me to the lab. She pointed to something and I held her hand "what Y/N? what is it you want?" she looked at me "the....the uh....the. The cotton swabs" I handed them to her and she nodded a thank you. I watched her as she got to work. She would stop for a second sometimes and tap her fingers on the table. I watched her and she tapped me, I looked down at her "yes darling?" she pointed to the device and there was some type of dust inside of it. I picked it up and Y/N tugged my sleeve. I looked down again "yes honey?" she began to open her mouth but closed it, I bent to her level because she was sitting in a stool. I rubbed her shoulder "come on Y/N you can do it" 

She took a deep breath and spoke "I uh it isn't a-a" I finished for her "liquid?" she nodded and I smiled "ok good. How does it become a serum? did you get that far?" she tapped her fingers against her leg and started to get frustrated. I put down the device and placed her on my lap "breathe Y/N. It's ok darling. Just collect your thoughts. There's no rush" she nodded and I gave her my hand. Y/N always liked to trace the lines in my hand when she was anxious or frustrated or simply thinking. She didn't speak much and was rather shy but she was extremely smart. She seemed to like me a lot. She would always communicate her needs to me and I found it sweet. 

Y/N started to speak "it's a powder and it takes stuff from the air" I nodded "ok what stuff?" she tapped her fingers and I waited while playing with her hair "moisture! it sucks the moisture from the air" I smiled "good job honey. Do you know what it is?" she pointed to the tablet and I handed it to her. Y/N typed then handed me the tablet and I looked at it. I smiled "bingo. Good job Y/N" 

I took her hand and walked to the boys who were still bickering. I held up the tablet "shut it boys Y/N figured it out while you were fighting like cats" Tony looked at me "what?" I held out the tablet and Y/N started to squeeze my hand given that the rest of the team had joined. I gently rubbed my thumb over the top of her hand. Tony turned to her "how did you do this?!" Y/N jumped and I glared a Tony "what did I say about the yelling around her?" he put his hands up "I'm sorry I was just excited" I narrowed my eyes at him and he stepped back. I looked at Y/N "you ok hun?" she shook her head and I smiled "good. You wanna tell them how it works?" she shook her head and I nodded "ok go on" she stepped forward and looked back at me I nodded "It's ok you can do it" she fiddled with her fingers "it's a powder. A-and it takes the uh" she looked back at me with tears in her eyes, her face was flushing red, I could tell she was getting embarrassed that she couldn't find the word again. I rushed up to her and gave her my hand. The traced the lines while the team waited for her to speak again. She looked up "it takes the moisture. From the air" she looked up at me and I nodded then Bruce sat back "ok well that makes more sense. Y/N do you know how to replicate the device?" she looked down and I spoke "we'll see" Bruce nodded "well good job figuring it out Y/N" 

Y/N tugged me and I looked at her "yes hun?" she whispered "did I help?" I smiled and nodded "yes honey. you did really good. You have a beautiful mind you know that?" she smiled "thank you" I ran my fingers in her hair "no problem"

-This is a whole different part but it's Nat getting protective over the reader during a party when someone tries to pressure them to speak and is calling them names-

Natasha's POV:

I was mixing a drink when I realized Y/N hadn't come back from the bathroom. I excused myself from the bar and walked around to find her. I asked several of the team mates of they had seen her and they all said no. Y/N was not one for gatherings given her selective mutism and always stayed with me or Wanda to feel safe, otherwise her anxiety would sky rocket and she wouldn't talk for days. 

I heard someone talking in a mocking tone a little ahead me "what are you deaf or something?!" I pushed through the crowd and saw Y/N, she was trembling and these guys were mocking her. I pushed one of them "fuck off" one of them looked at me "no I was invited" I glared at him "well now you've been uninvited, get out" he scoffed "all we did was ask her if she wanted a drink" I glared at them and they put their hands up "ok fine fine were leaving. But your friend is really stupid" I held his hand behind his back "apologize! now!" the guy whined "ok I'm sorry I'm sorry" I held it there "Steve?!" Steve came running "what Nat? what happened?" I smiled "would you kindly escort this dick bag off the premises. He was making fun of Y/N" Steve nodded and took the guy

I turned back to Y/N "hi honey you ok?" she shook her head no and I grabbed her hand "come on lets get you to your room" she followed me and I opened her bedroom door. She sat on the bed and I sat next to her "I would have never let them hurt you Y/N" she turned and wrapped her arms around me. I rubbed her back and she relaxed a little. After a couple minutes I lifted her from me "lets get into comfy clothes ok?" she nodded and grabbed clothes from her drawers then changed. I pulled the covers over her after she crawled into bed and kissed her head "night Y/N. I'll be back I just need to clean up the bar ok?" she nodded and I handed her my shawl so she knew I would come back "I'll come back for that ok hun?" she nodded and I booped her nose "and remember, you have a beautiful mind" she giggled and I smiled then turned off her lights and left

I hope you enjoyed! see you in the next one!

As always: I love you all 3000 and thank you