[ CHAPTER SEVENTY-SIX ]

2010, Mystic Falls

         Astrid's unimpressed gaze didn't leave the large silver giftbox placed on the bed, a smooth chiffon bow wrapped around it elegantly with a small gift label tucked underneath

Astrid's unimpressed gaze didn't leave the large silver giftbox placed on the bed, a smooth chiffon bow wrapped around it elegantly with a small gift label tucked underneath. Astrid didn't even need to peer at the curled writing on the card to know who it was from.

It seemed Nik had once again resolved back to trying to buy her loyalty.

Rolling her eyes, Astrid couldn't deny the curiosity she felt staring at the large box. Surely taking a peak wouldn't be harmful, right? It didn't mean she'd keep the gift- no, instead she'd rather harshly and creatively return it to Niklaus.

With a child-like curiosity, Astrid's fingers danced along the sharp side of the box before stopping on the finely tied bow. The sleeves of her ivory, silken dressing gown briefly blocked her fingers' destination before Astrid pushed it away with her free hand, pulling firmly on the ribbon.

Once the bow was unravelled, the satin sash falling onto the bed sheets, Astrid pushed the lid off, her brows furrowing at the sight of a blue fabric.

Realisation flushed across her features as she gingerly pulled the material from the box, holding out the evidently beautiful ballgown before her.

Deep hues of blue and silver chiffon flowed out into an elegant skirt while the bodice, adorned with sparkling crystals, had modest straps and a sweetheart neckline that would display the perfect amount of cleavage.

The dress appeared hand-made, most likely one of a kind, and yet as Astrid held the fabric far away from her, it merely reminded her of Niklaus.

As beautiful as the dress appeared, as perfect as the dress would have fitted, Astrid knew that accepting the dress would give Niklaus the thought she'd forgiven him, that his sins could be forgiven by the purchases of sparkling gowns.

With a pout on her lips, Astrid reluctantly folded the material back up, placing it back in the box and regretfully putting the lid back on, as if knowing the longer she looked at the dress, the more she'd yearn to accept it.

Besides, she didn't need the dress, not really. After her outing with Rebekah, the two had purchased gowns for the ball, with Rebekah buying a deep emerald mermaid dress which would show off her enviable figure, and Astrid deciding on a mint green dress.

Her dress was daring and seductive, with a corset top, sparkly green fabric and a large slit from toe to hip.

Niklaus' dress would definitely have been more traditional, with its flowing skirt and shoulder straps and most likely something Esther would approve off. When Esther saw her dress, the woman would no doubt be thinking how sinful the form fitting dress was, although Astrid cared little of what the older woman thought of her dress sense.