[ CHAPTER FIFTY-FIVE ]

1919, New Orleans

When Astrid returned to the compound, she wasn't surprised to find her husband waiting for her with a sour expression

Upon walking through the large heavy doors, she'd immediately been flanked by one of Nik's lackeys, who informed her he was awaiting in his office to speak to her.

Rolling her eyes, Astrid had dismissed Eve with a reassuring smile, telling the brunette she'd see her later that night at the ball before making her way to Nik's office.

Nik was sat at his desk, paperwork was scattered across the desktop, his extremely neat writing littered across the parchment rolls.

Sending her husband a sarcastic smile, Astrid could barely hide her annoyance.

The damn mutt incident had put her in a rather bad mood, unfortunately for her husband who was most likely to be on the receiving end of her anger if he said something to upset or irritate her.

"You summoned me, husband." She snarked.

Though the eyes she adored were serious, she noticed his lips lift into an amused smirk as she plopped down in the leather chair across from him.

She assumed this was about the wolf incident that had happened a mere half an hour ago. News travelled fast in New Orleans, and Nik knew every single thing going on in the city.

"Well, you're in a snippy mood, my love." He chuckled, watching as she rolled her eyes.

Crossing her legs, she reclined back against the leather chair, eyes drinking in the sight of his office.

It wasn't often she went in the room; it was Nik's workspace; nothing exciting ever happened within its walls. It was mainly used for meetings and when Nik was silently plotting some sort of diabolic scheme.

"Yes, well, I've had a rather troublesome morning, believe it or not." She responded as Nik frowned.

Leaning forward, he rested his hands on the desk, arching his brows. "So I've heard, Dante Guerrero was quick to call." His eyes darted to the clunky desk telephone, rolling his eyes at the mention of the wolf as Astrid suddenly leaned forwards.

She narrowed her eyes defensively, crossing her arms over his chest. "You're on his side." She uttered in disbelief, shaking her head slowly as Klaus huffed.

"I'm not on anyone's side, love, I just want to find out what happened from you, because his son reckons you attacked him." Klaus insisted as Astrid straightened up.

Her lips curled into a scowl as fire danced within her expressive eyes, Klaus chuckled. Even after all these years, his wife was still the fiery little spitfire he loved.

"I can't believe you're on his side! If you must know, that egotistical, poor excuse of a son harmed my friend and proceeded to call me a 'blood-sucking whore', so believe it or not I wasn't in a pleasant mood." She snarled in response, pushing herself up from the chair as Klaus leaned forward, eyes darker than the night itself.