[ CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX ]

1002, southern france

It had become apparent to Astrid that the Count loved executing extravagant events and parties

After returning from his hunt, he was celebrating his capture of a small deer, toasting with his small council jollily.

The grand garden was decorated with ribbons and silk drapes, servants were generously handing out food and drinks, while several bards were scattered along the pathways, playing their lutes and singing songs of Lord Count's bravery and generosity.

The noblewomen and noblemen of the court were socialising, and Lady Astrid was effortlessly greeting her fellow Ladies and Lords.

While they would beam and shower Lady Astrid in compliments, most of them wouldn't even look in Aubrianne's direction.

And the ones that did acknowledge the redhead would send her disgusted looks, turning their nose up at the sight of a servant attending such a prestigious event.

Astrid personally found the whole thing tiring and boring, the faux attitude and snobbery of the Court annoyed her greatly, not that she showed it.

After all, she had to maintain her image.

As they approached the area where Lady Aurora was seated upon a silk blanket with the other Ladies of the Court, Aubrianne felt tense as she caught sight of Lord Tristan and Lady Astrid's brother-in-law, the Lord Elijah, throwing axes at wooden targets a few yards away.

Lord Elijah smiled charmingly when his axe hit the centre of the target, the Ladies sat on the picnic blanket clapping eagerly.

"Lady Aurora, you look lovely this morning." Aurora beamed brightly at Astrid's comment, however her smile dampened upon seeing a rather timid Aubrianne.

She felt like a child, hiding behind the skirts of her mother, however in this case, she was hiding behind Lady Astrid's skirts.

Any fool wouldn't be able to see how taken Aurora was with Astrid, clearly Astrid had made a good impression on the Count's daughter.

Gaze scanning Aubrianne, Aurora wrinkled her nose up in distaste, evidently recognizing her as Tristan's servant.

Licking her lips nervously, Aubrianne's fingers spread out over the lavish material of Astrid's gown.

Being taller than Aubrianne, the gown didn't fit quite right; it was too short, showing off her bare ankles and lower calves, it was loose around the bust and hips, the fabric bunching up and overall, she felt ridiculous wearing it.

Although it must have looked lovely on Astrid, the gown felt horrid on Aubrianne.

"Thank you, Lady Astrid. Who is your... friend?" She questioned. She recognized the tall servant, but she had never bothered learning the girl's name.