[ CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE ]

1002, southern france

 The ruckus with Kol the previous night was all Astrid could think about as she walked through the beautiful gardens of the castle

Roses of all colours surrounded the premises, wildflowers springing and blooming along all the cobble pathways and wooden benches.

With her arm laced through Aurora's, Astrid nodded politely, pretending she had been listening to whatever the hell the redhead had been chatting about.

"What do you think, Astrid? I think the new fashions would become of you." Aurora giggled, arm tightening in Astrid's as the brunette sent her a dazzling grin.

Shaking her head, Astrid's brown curls tumbled down her back. "I think they would look even lovelier on you, Aurora. Especially tones of emerald and plum."

Grinning at the compliment, Aurora let out a giddy giggle, her cheeks flushing a healthy pink. "I will have to certainly take my father up on his offer, thank you for your advice, Astrid. I was concerned that it would be too much of a brave move." Aurora admitted.

The redhead was clearly more of a trend follower than a trend setter, though Astrid had always been the opposite.

She enjoyed trying things that were out of her comfort zone, that weren't exactly considered normal.

Nodding, Astrid let out a soft sigh, enjoying the feeling of the sun dancing across her tanned skin.

She would never take the sunlight for advantage again, she had missed its warmth when they had turned into vampires. It had taken weeks for Esther to come up with a solution to allow them to walk in the sun.

They had been housebound till the moon came out and darkness descended, the sunlight burning their skin.

She instinctively touched the daylight ring on her finger, Esther had made one for all of them.

"What is it?" Aurora questioned in concern, frowning at Astrid's sudden sigh.

Astrid smiled. "Nothing, my Lady. Just appreciating the lovely weather."

The redhead giggled. "Yes it is quite lovely, isn't it. I like it when the sunlight dances upon my skin." Aurora chirped.

"Me too." She responded softly.

As her azure gown scraped against the cobblestone pathway, Astrid paused as they reached a rosebush. Full of orange, crimson and saffron roses, it was beautiful.

Ignoring Aurora's questioning glance, Astrid let go of the redhead, reaching forward to gently pull the rose, fingertips narrowly avoiding the thorns. With the red rose head in hand, Astrid held it close to her chest.

"You have a beautiful garden, my Lady."

Turning back to the redhead, Astrid leaned forward, tucking the rose behind Aurora's ear as she sent her a friendly smile. "Almost as beautiful as my company."