[ CHAPTER FORTY-EIGHT ]

1821, New Orleans

Astrid sniffled as Rebekah pulled her into her side, sending Nik a nasty glare as he continued to angrily pace the room

Astrid sniffled as Rebekah pulled her into her side, sending Nik a nasty glare as he continued to angrily pace the room. The tension was beginning to get to them, and Astrid was beside herself worrying for Marcel.

The family had a lot of enemies, especially Klaus, anyone of them would have loved to come across innocent, human little Marcel.

The thought of anyone harming Marcel made Astrid's blood turn to ice, before a volcano of rage erupted within her.

"This isn't helping, Nik!" Rebekah snapped at her brother, who was pacing up and down, sucking his teeth angrily.

Elijah nodded, pressing his lips together, knowing Niklaus was no doubt a pot of boiling water about to bubble over.

As much as he needed to reassure his family that no one would dare harm Marcel, Elijah could think of four individuals that would have a very good reason for taking Marcel after what he had done to them. Tristian, Lucien, Aurora and Aubrianne.

Surely they wouldn't harm a young slave boy for their sins? Lucien himself had been a slave a lifetime ago, but Elijah suspected bitterness and anger probably clouded their judgment.

"Brother, we need to approach this carefully, there could be a reasonable explanation for this, who would dare intentionally go against us." Elijah tried to meditate the situation, frowning as Kol snorted.

Leaning against the fireplace, Kol- unlike Nik, had yet to change out of his blood-stained clothing.

Dried blood surrounding his lips, not that he seemed to mind as he kept his gaze on an emotional Astrid.

The whole situation was beyond strange for him, apparently Nik and Astrid had adopted a little runt, of course Nik had been the hero, swooping in and rescuing a poor, slave black boy.

Kol resisted rolling his eyes at the thought.

"Exactly, maybe he just got lost." Rebekah suggested hopefully, squeezing an unconvinced Astrid's hand as she sniffled, nodding.

She could only hope Marcel had gotten lost somewhere; that nothing terrible had in fact happened.

She just had this gut feeling that it wasn't the case though... Using her other hand to brush the stray tears away, Astrid nodded.

"Yes, me and Bekah could search the North, whilst Kol searches the East, Elijah the west, and Nik the south." Astrid croaked out as Klaus paused in his trail.

A frown marred Klaus' lips as he stopped beside an evidently bored appearing Kol.

"Love, I'd prefer it if you were with me-" Niklaus was cut off by Kol letting out a laugh.

"What's wrong Nik? Need Astrid to hold your hand?" Kol interrupted with a teasing grin, sniggering as Niklaus whirled to face his younger brother.

Eyes darkening, Nik growled. "Shut up, I'd rather have mywife safe with me." Nik snarled causing Astrid to frown.