[ CHAPTER SEVEN ]

999 A.D

D

Several days had passed since the day of her wedding, and dare she say it, but so far things seemed to be going well between herself and Niklaus.

Of course they weren't going to suddenly fall in love, but Astrid could appreciate him trying to get to know her, and it only seemed fair to return his gesture.

It seemed they had more in common than what they had assumed. Niklaus held a great interesting for all things creative, he enjoyed carving sculptures out of wood and even sketching on the walls of the caves.

He had even shown her deep in the caves where he had sketched the names of his family. It had been a nice gesture to sketch her name beside his too.

Niklaus had even showed her his talent with the bow and arrow, hitting the target pinned to the tree in the middle.

The way he had held the bow seemed natural to him, he hadn't been concentrating too much as his attention had been on Astrid, and yet he still managed to hit the center.

"You need to widen your feet." Niklaus' breath tickled her neck as his large hands guided her into the correct stance.

Standing up-right with her feet finally shoulder width apart, the heavy bow felt clumsy in Astrid's grip.

Niklaus had said that one day he would teach her to be a marksman, and today seemed to be that day.

She had expected the bow to be lighter, simply holding it up was hurting her arms, but fortunately Niklaus was a patient teacher.

Soft hands gently adjusting her tight grip on the bow.

"Relax your grip a bit." He instructed gently.

Once her grip was as relaxed as it could be, what with her nerves, Niklaus chucked.

"I'm impressed you can hold it up, with those arms." He teased knowingly, recalling their first encounter, perhaps she would channel the determination she had used to carry the pile of water back to her house.

Her clammy hands instantly relaxed on the bow arrow as she raised a challenging brow at her husband. "Please, it's hardly heavy." She bluffed, making Niklaus laugh.

She liked that sound.

Without responding, Niklaus placed the arrow in position and guided her fingers so the string sat between the crease of her last fingers.

Lowering his lips to her ear, his arms twisted comfortably around her waist, they almost seemed natural wrapped around her. "Now, to draw you need to pull the string back using your back muscles."

Astrid nodded, ignoring his soft touch as she pulled the string back till the string almost touched her nose and lips.

"That's it." He praised, she could hear the smile in his voice.