[ CHAPTER FORTY ]

1820, New Orleans

An acute frost resided deep with her frail bones, filling each nook and cranny with a frigidness that left her feeling unbalanced and desolate.

The dark shadow that had once been cast upon her vision, seemed to slowly fade into a steely grey as Astrid felt a tingling sensation in her fingertips.

As her consciousness slowly regained control, Astrid found herself focusing all the energy she could summon to move her fingers, the slender digits shakily bending.

A low rumble of a voice filled her ears as the steely grey before her morphed into many coloured spots. The colours so bright they hurt her eyes.

Her fingers slowly bent and unbent, whilst she found herself able to curl her toes. It was an extremely daunting sensation, considering she had previously had no physical control over body as she laid subdued in the darkness.

As a startled gasp left her lips, Astrid's doll-like eyes opened, eyelashes fluttering elegantly. She squinted painfully at the vibrant torch light, as her chest heaved up and down rapidly.

Glancing around, Astrid caught sight of strong arms nestled around her, a golden wedding band sat on the man's finger, immediately catching her attention.

She was extremely relieved to find she wasn't alone, instead laying in a man's arms- a married man who should be respectable towards her- the warmth he radiated resulting in her feeling safe and soothed.

As she registered her surroundings, Astrid shivered, curling further into the man's warm embrace. 

She wasn't quite sure where she was, but wherever it was cold and dark. The air smelt horridly of dampness and mould.

Peering down, Astrid found herself to be wearing one of her silk, ivory nightgowns. Alas, it was not the one she had worn when Niklaus' had daggered her, for the material had been stained and ripped.

Her trembling fingertips reached to grasp the man's tunic, holding the soft fabric in a pinched grip, as if she was a small child seeking comfort.

Eyes watering, Astrid's head lulled back against the man's elbow, overwhelmed as a title wave of raw emotions and memories washed over her.

Whimpering, Astrid wasn't sure what ached more. The hunger in her stomach, or her heart as the betrayal of her husband flashed before her.

Stomach cramping, Astrid barely registered the hand stroking her hair as she managed to support her head once more, eyes darting to the man holding her.

Sapphire eyes, deep in colour and swirling with emotions, stared down at her lovingly, glassy with unshed tears. 

The colour she had once loved, the colour that had once reminded her of the deepest of oceans, filled her with dread as she shook her head.