[ CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO ]

1492, England

'Dear Diary, 

My concern for Nik seems to exhilarate with every passing moment, he is becoming precariously possessive, at times I feel like a prisoner within the walls of my own home.

I may not be wrapped in chains or bound, but I am a prisoner to my husband, prisoner to his controlling and dominating ways, to his obsession to break his hybrid curse, to his paranoid nature.

I love him dearly, I love him more than anything, but I fear how much more I can take. At least I am able to share the burden Nik is coming with Elijah, he is concerned for Niklaus too.

Nik is falling into the darkness, letting it consume him, and I fear I may not be enough to pull him from its tight grasp.

Pulling Nik back from the curse of the five was hard enough, I barely managed to do it, yet the love and devotion he had for me managed to pull him back from the edge. This time I may not be enough-'

The sound of heavy footsteps caused Astrid to still, placing the feather down. Blowing on the ink lightly, Astrid swiftly closed the enchanted journal, eyes darting up to see a smirking Niklaus walking towards her.

For the past couple of centuries, Astrid had decided to take a leaf out of Elijah's books, taking his advice of writing her feelings in a diary. It was freeing, it allowed her to vent, to clear her mind and soul. 

Though Astrid was aware that if Niklaus ever read her diary, he would be beyond heartbroken and betrayed, to the point she might have even ended up with a dagger in her heart like Finn.

Fortunately, some of her friends who were talented in the magical arts had spelled a journal for her, giving her indefinite privacy.

Plastering a smile on her lips, Astrid stood up, placing the journal on the table before her, watching as Niklaus sauntered towards her.

He placed his hands on her hips, pulling her into a deep kiss before pulling away. The look in his devilish eyes was enough to cause her suspicion.

"My beautiful wife."

Astrid couldn't help but chuckle, realisation dawning upon her as she gasped. "You found it! You said you would wait!" She pouted, as he simply smirked down at her.

Niklaus had become persistent to celebrate his human birthday every century, he would be gifted with extraordinary presents, from his family members, but also from the vampire lackeys, warlocks and witches, and lords who wished to impress the most feared original.

He would also throw an extravagant ball, which was always Astrid's favourite part, along with treating Niklaus to presents. 

Nik would always spoil Astrid with beguiling jewels, lavish gowns and more expensive gifts, so the occasion to treat Niklaus was severely taken advantage off.

"So, you liked it then?" She hummed, his hands still clutching her hips.

Nik grinned, moving forward so his nose brushed against hers. "I loved it, Astrid. Thank you." Nik almost sounded humble as Astrid beamed.

She had been unsure of what to buy him for his birthday. What do you buy someone who already has everything? In the end, Astrid had bought him exotic dyes, new brushes and some more canvases.

"I would like to paint you again, naked." He purred, making goosebumps spread across her skin as she grinned.

Niklaus loved painting her portraits, some were clothed others were not. Astrid had many paintings stored away, whilst her favourites hung around their household and bedroom, they were all her most treasured belongings.

"I looked forward to that, very much."

Before she could respond, the distinctive sound of giggles and light footsteps darted past them, capturing Astrid's attention as her gaze landed on a small child, running around the gardens with a small yappy puppy at her feet.

Her blonde curls were flying around as she battled the light wind, her feet bare as the puppy playfully pounced on the girl. Despite the puppy's happy nature, Astrid's blood ran cold as she sped over to the girl's side, pulling the barking pup of the young girl as she left Nik alone.

The fur ball wiggled excitedly in her grasp as Astrid smiled down at the stunned young girl. Despite feeling Niklaus' disapproving gaze, Astrid reached down, her free hand pulling the girl to her feet.

She appeared to be five or six, not very old and judging from her clothes, she wasn't the wealthiest. Perhaps her mother was a maid in the castle, or a cook.

Eyes widened like saucers; the young girl gulped as Astrid set the puppy back on the ground. "You gave me quite the fright, though she seems harmless enough." Astrid offered softly, kneeling down so she was the same height as the young girl.

Swallowing nervously, the girl nodded. "Piper gets excited."

"What's your name, sweet girl?"

Shifting on her feet, the small girl briefly met Astrid's gaze, rather timidly. It appeared she was afraid to speak to Astrid, which she assumed was because of her high status, or she was afraid to get in trouble.

"Willow, Miss."

Astrid grinned. "That's a beautiful name. My names Astrid."

The blonde girl nodded; mud dusted fingers reaching down to scratch Piper's head. "Nice to meet you, Miss. Your dress is very pretty." She admitted, cheeks tinging pink as Astrid chuckled.

"Not as pretty as you, sweet child."

Willow blushed. "I should get back to my mama, I don't want her to be mad."

Frowning, Astrid was about to protest, wishing to walk the child back to her mother, however, an arm wrapped around her shoulders.

"Run along then." Niklaus snapped coldly, watching emotionlessly as Willow's smile dropped, her little arms tightening around Piper before she turned on her heel, hurrying away, evidently frightened.

Astrid scowled, turning to face Niklaus who shrugged carelessly.

"Stop this, Astrid. I have let you have pets over the years, horses, mutts, even a damn elephant. But each time they die and break your heart, I will not have you get attached to any human, much less a little one. They're food, love and most of all, expendable, but I'm not."