[ CHAPTER SEVENTY-THREE ]

2010, mystic falls

What could be considered soft and delicate, the hum of Rebekah's sports car sounded loud and obnoxious to Astrid's tuned senses

What could be considered soft and delicate, the hum of Rebekah's sports car sounded loud and obnoxious to Astrid's tuned senses. The engine was purring noisily with every motion, the ever so vacant scent of burning rubber tickling her nose as she leaned forwards.

The seat belt Rebekah had scoldingly made her fasten was pressing against her chest irritatingly from the sudden change.

Her nimble fingers clumsily began pressing the many different buttons on the dashboard, azure eyes waiting expertly. Rebekah, with both hands on the wheel, made no comment as her gaze briefly flickered to the blonde beside her before returning to the road.

Astrid furrowed her brows together as she continued to turn several dials, seemingly unaware of the aircon kicking in and the passenger window sliding up and down repeatedly.

When erratic music abruptly blared out the car's speakers, Astrid reclined back against the leather seat in triumph.

The music, if it could even be considered as music, wasn't exactly to Astrid's outdated taste. It was upbeat, an unusual pitch and almostas annoying to the ears as the sound of the car's engine.

Glancing at Rebekah, who seemed at ease behind the wheel, Astrid raised a brow. "I can't make out what this person is even singing about... How did this century develop such strange taste?" Astrid snorted as she tried to make sense of the lyrics.

"Believe it or not, Kol is quite fond of this song... He's been driving me mad singing." Rebekah snorted, shaking her head, visually cringing at the thought of Kol Mikaelson singing 'poker face'.

Lips lifting in amusement, Astrid shook her head. "That doesn't surprise me one bit, you know Kol, winding people up is his favourite hobby."

Rebekah seemed to pause at some strange sign, a red light glowing brightly, causing all the cars alongside the glossy sports car to stop.

"You're not wrong there... Anyways, enough of Kol, it's annoying enough living with him, never mind talking about him. How are you feeling about this ball mother and Nik are hosting?" Rebekah questioned, leaning forwards to slide her fingers along a dial on the dashboard, lowering the volume of the music.

Sinking back into her seat, Astrid glanced out the passenger window, watching humans walk by, speaking with one another, holding hands with their children.

Swallowing, Astrid turned away, her gaze returning to Rebekah's whose large blue eyes never seemingly left the vampire.

Teeth digging into her lower lip, Astrid was hesitant. She wasn't quite sure how she felt about the entire thing, if she was being completely honest.

She was still trying to get her head around Esther's sudden change of heart and cryptic words, never mind the fact Esther assumingly expected Astrid to attend the ball with Niklaus.