[ CHAPTER THREE ]

999AD

Her wedding was fast approaching, it seemed that every cook and baker in the village were working their fingers to bones to prepare the grand celebration feast

Her wedding was fast approaching, it seemed that every cook and baker in the village were working their fingers to bones to prepare the grand celebration feast. Her dress had already been sown and tailored to Astrid's shapely figure, however, she was yet to show her wedding gown to her mother and Niklaus' mother and sister.

It seemed that everyone but Astrid and Niklaus was excited about the wedding, the atmosphere in the village bright and hopeful, not even the wolves could affect the mood.

Grasping at the wire handle of the bucket, Astrid flounced over to the chicken coop, the plump hens already bustling at the sound of the rustle of the bucket.

Over the last few days, Astrid had been doing anything that would keep her mind from the wedding, wherever it was feeding the livestock, washing clothes in the stream or helping her mother with the household chores.

Without a word falling from her lips, Astrid swung the hatch of the chicken coop open, grabbing a handful of feed and sprinkling the grains into the pen.

As the hens bustled and pushed to greedily peck at the feed, a voice caught her attention. "Well darling, I didn't expect to see you here."

Smiling at the familiar voice, Astrid didn't even have to turn around to know who was addressing her. She could even hear the playful grin in his voice.

Scooping up some more feed, Astrid sprinkled it in the coop before closing the hatch of the pen and placing the heavy bucket down.

Turning, as she expected, she found Kol leaning on the fence of the sheep pen behind her, his teasing grin intact as his eyes shamelessly gazed at her up and down, not that she noticed.

Sending him a wide, bright smile, Astrid cocked a brow, usually Kol wouldn't be seen dead doing chores, unless his father had ordered him to.

"Kol, I didn't expect to find you anywhere you could be forced to participate in chores." She teased lightly.

Chuckling, Kol leaned closer, ignoring the sheep that butted against his hand from behind, clearly looking for extra feed.

Moving his hand away, Astrid laughed as the sheep let out a disapproving sound. "Well, what can I say, darling. Mothers looking for me, and I couldn't think of a better hiding place."

Astrid snorted, the sound of the clucking hens and the sheep's excessive baaing drowning out the unladylike gesture, not that Kol would have minded.

"I'm surprised you aren't hiding out with one of your lady friends," Astrid pestered gleefully.

Feigning shock, Kol gasped, holding a hand to his heart. "I am wounded that you would think of such atrocious things of me. I am nothing but a gentleman."

She nearly laughed aloud. "You a gentlemen?"

A warm look settled in Kol's dark eyes as he grinned. "Sounds like somebody's jealous."