[ CHAPTER FIVE ]

999 A.D

 She tried to keep her façade going, she held her head high as she made her way towards Niklaus, her mother by her side as the entire village watched

Swallowing, Astrid struggled to meet the intense gaze of her soon to be husband before her eyes flickered to man standing beside him.

Standing tall and proud, Mikael Mikaelson seemed to be a man who demanded respect, even if didn't deserve it.

His gaze was cold and alarming as Niklaus stood stiffly beside his father, before the man took a step back to stand with Esther.

Following in pursuit, Sigrid sent her daughter a strained smile, squeezing her hand in what Astrid assumed was supposed to be a comforting gesture, before she moved to stand beside Esther and Mikael, allowing the village elder to begin the ceremony.

Taking a moment to truly look at his bride, Niklaus couldn't deny Astrid looked beautiful. Her hair was twisted and pinned in elaborate braids while the ivory gown hugged her womanly figure.

However, her beauty was dullened by her eyes, the vibrant shade of peacock blue was cloudy with sorrow. It seemed his bride wanted this as much as he did.

"We stand here in the sight of gods and men to witness the union of man and wife. One flesh, one heart, one soul, now and forever." The village elder announced, his voice loud and strong.

Silence befell the onlooking crowd as the village elder pulled a single slither of ribbon from his pocket.

Without being asked to do so, Astrid gently placed her hand upon Niklaus', her soft fingers atop of his as the village elder began twisting the ribbon around their joined hands.

Anxiously, Astrid's gaze sought out the crowd, it seemed the whole village had come to see their union.

Darting between familiar faces in the audience, Astrid's eyes landed on Rebekah. She looked lovely, wearing a deep red gown while her hair was braided back.

She was supporting a toothy grin, her cheeks red from how hard she was smiling as she leaned closer to her older brother Elijah to assumingly whisper in his ear.

However, before the blonde could utter any words to her brother, Esther's gaze silenced her as Rebekah's lips curled into a stubborn pout.

Astrid's attention was swiftly brought back to the village elder when he tightened the ribbon.

"Let it be known that Niklaus Mikaelson and Astrid Ragnulf are one heart, one flesh, one soul. Cursed be he who would seek to tear them asunder."

The village elder voice echoed as Astrid locked eyes with Niklaus.

"In the sight of the Gods, I hereby seal these two souls, binding them as one for eternity." After his speech was finished, Astrid and Niklaus watched as the elder unravelled the ribbon with a simple tug at the knot, freeing them from their bind.