[ CHAPTER FIFTY ]

1821, New Orleans

Hatred burned furiously in Astrid's heart, so deep that it was ingrained in the surrounding tissue

The current hatred she felt for Aubrianne coloured what little was left of her soul, spreading throughout her system, shutting down all logic and empathy for the redhead before her.

Aubrianne looked different, not only had her physical appearance changed from a cowering, doe-eyed servant, the look in her eye was almost unnerving.

Light indigo eyes stormy with a desire for vengeance, peach lips curled up into a smirk.

Fingers brushing against Marcel's soft cheek, Astrid's gaze never left Aubrianne as the redhead once more turned back to Rebekah, breaking the blonde's neck for what felt like the tenth time.

Humming with amusement, Aubrianne dropped Rebekah's body to the muddy ground carelessly, turning back to Astrid.

The brunette was glowering, lips downturned into a displeased scowl. It filled Aubrianne with joy to see Astrid so vulnerable.

She'd been waiting seven-hundred-years for this. Ever since their compulsion was broken and she no longer thought she was Astrid Mikaelson, wife to Niklaus Mikaelson, or Lucien Castle to be precise.

Despite being an original, Aubrianne was almost as strong as her sire with the brunette only being a year turned before herself. With human, little Marcel in the picture, it was the perfect opportunity for her revenge.

Astrid had become attached to the little slave; the thought made Aubrianne giggle. How cruel was fate...

"You must have a strong desire for death, hurting those I love, coming after my family." Astrid growled, practically shaking with anger as Aubrianne snorted.

She seemingly was enjoying Astrid's anger, absentmindedly glancing towards Marcel, who was still unconscious.

Shaking her head, Aubrianne was practically glowing with self-satisfaction.

"Those are strong words, especially for someone who's going to be back in her box, till myself and Selene come up with a more permanent solution." She hummed, making Astrid's jaw clench.

It took every fibre in her body to stay by Marcel's side, to not plunge her hand into the chest of the sociopathic bitch before her and pull out her heart. But leaving Marcel would leave him vulnerable, especially if Aubrianne had a witch on her side.

At the mention of her name, a dark-skinned woman who Astrid didn't recognize came out from behind Rebekah.

She wasn't one of the witches from the covens in the city that was for certain. Without saying a word, she stood by Rebekah, frowning at the blonde in distaste as Aubrianne played with the dagger in her hand.