[ CHAPTER SIXTY-SEVEN ]

1922, Chicago

                 Through the bustling groups of flamboyant dancers flouncing across the golden tiled dance floor, familiar doe mahogany eyes had clashed with sapphire

As soon as their eyes had met, the woman had disappeared within the sea of people before vanishing from sight.

Not that it mattered too much, for Astrid would forever recognise those eyes. A hue so deep, the colour almost seemed artificial, too perfect.

The eyes of a woman whose face could launch a thousand ships. Katerina Petrova.

It must have been her. It couldn't have been anyone else. Instead of her tumbling ringlets, she'd been supporting a black sleek bob that was most likely a wig. It had been strange seeing her wearing such a provocative dress compared to the bellowing skirts of the 1500's, even if her glance had been fleeting.

Sat across from her husband, who appeared rather bored, Astrid's gaze nervously flickered back to the exit.

She could only hope her husband hadn't caught scent of the doppelganger, the very woman he wanted to skin alive and hang over their mansion's front gates for her betrayal.

Fortunately, as clever as her husband was, it seemed he still was yet to catch on to the fact that Astrid was in fact not only helping Katerina, but her once dear friend Rose Marie, keep under Nik's radar.

She'd sent several of her close friends, friends under her sire line, to keep active eyes on the women so they could successfully evade her husband.

Nik of course would be outraged if he'd ever found out, but both Rose Marie and Katerina had once been her friends.

Perhaps she may not have been able to convince her husband to pardon the two women, but she could help them.

Of course, helping Rose Marie meant helping her toady friend Trevor, but if it meant Rose was safe then it was a sacrifice Astrid was willing to make.

Pulling her lower lip between her teeth, Astrid turned her attention to the vampire beside her. Nik had his arm slumped over her shoulder, his fingers drumming gently against her shoulder.

A soft chuckle left her lips as he peered down at her questioningly.

Recognising the devilish glint in her cat like eyes, Nik smirked. "What, love?"

Smiling innocently, Astrid's gaze instantly flickered to the dance floor. Stefan and Rebekah were dancing slowly in the centre, staring at one another as they spoke in hushed tones.

Glancing back at her husband, Astrid nodded in the couple's direction. "Nothing. It's nice to see Bekah happy." She mused as Nik shrugged.

Not surprised by her husband's lack of response, Astrid refrained from rolling her eyes as she peeled his arm from around her shoulder.