[ CHAPTER FOUR ]

999 A.D

D

Three nights, that was all. Three nights and Astrid would be a married woman, a loyal wife and breeding mare.

She could recall when the betrothal was announced many moons ago, time seemed to have slipped through her fingertips.

Clutching the fur cloak closer to her body, as if It was some sort of safety blanket, Astrid plastered a smile on her face as she approached her betrothed, just as her mother had requested.

'Try to get to know him, It'll make it easier, I promise'  her mother had urged.

Niklaus was alone, sat on a wooden log, hunched over the dying embers of the fire. Although she could not see what Niklaus was doing, curiosity seemed to get the better of her as she approached him.

Without saying a word, she took a seat on the log beside him, her thigh brushing against his, making him jump.

The knife slipped from his hand and fell to the muddy ground, landing on crunching leaves as Astrid's lips parted in amusement. "Sorry."

Reaching to the ground, Niklaus smiled, picking up the knife as Astrid eyed the wooden figurine in his hand. "Call me curious, but what are you doing?"

Leaning closer, mischief that reminded her of Kol danced within his eyes as he lowered his voice to a quiet whisper.

"Can you keep a secret?"

Astrid grinned. "Always and forever."

Tucking the sharpened blade into its sheath, Niklaus chuckled. "Hmm, I'm not sure if I should tell you or not."

She let out a mock gasp, prodding him in the side with her finger. It was strange, but although she had only spoken to Niklaus several times since seeing him at the stream, she found it easy to talk to him.

Maybe her mother was right.

"You offend me, Sir."

He chuckled before motioning for her to open her palm. Doing as he requested, Astrid opened her palm, closing her eyes as she waited.

When a sudden weight landed on her palm, she opened her eyes,  raising a brow when she noticed what it was.

Made from a lump of wood was a detailed knight on horseback, Astrid could see all the knights facial features and the textured strokes created for the horses fur, Astrid couldn't help but wonder how long he had been carving.

"A knight." She stated.

He nodded. "Yes, for my brother; Henrik. It is his name-day in many moons, I've seen him looking longingly at the ones I carved for Beckah as a boy." His voice was soft and full of affection.

Clearly his brother meant a lot to him.

How sweet.

Sending him a smile, she gently placed the wooden knight back in Niklaus' palm, his fingers instinctively tightening round it.