[ CHAPER SIXTY-SIX]

1922, Chicago

            The sound of high-pitched chuckles and the clinking of crystal glasses rudely awakened Astrid from her previously peaceful slumber

            The sound of high-pitched chuckles and the clinking of crystal glasses rudely awakened Astrid from her previously peaceful slumber. As her eyes sleepily opened, lashes brushing her lid, Astrid suddenly became vaguely aware of how cold she felt between the silk sheets.

Streams of sunlight flickered through the gaps in the blinds, filling the room with the odd ray indicating it was later than the usual time she normally got up.

Rolling back over to face her husband, Astrid's brows furrowed when she was met with empty space, her hand laying on his pillow in confusion.

For nine-hundred years, excluding the years she'd spent in that dreaded coffin, she was always the first to awaken between herself and Nik.

She'd wake up with her back pressed comfortably against his chest, his arms wrapped securely around her waist. His hot breath would fan soothingly against the crook of her neck, her blonde curls pushed aside to reveal bare skin.

A frown stretched across her lips as she sat up, pushing the silk covers aside.

Swinging her feet over the side of their rather large and luxuries four-poster bed, her toes were immediately tickled by the large fur rug. The whole situation was strange for her, much different than usual.

It was out of her comfort zone, but most of all, she had missed the heat Nik naturally radiated, she'd missed being able to turn around in his arms and tentatively run her fingers through his hair.

She'd become extremely fond of how curly Nik's hair was in the mornings, her nimble fingers scraping through the honey strands, something her husband also seemed to enjoy. Nik would then open his eyes, sending her a lazy, sleepy smile as he purred "morning love" to her, voice hazy and low.

Pressing her lips together, Astrid made quick work of pulling her robe on and began brushing her hair.

Frowning, Astrid worriedly glanced towards the door. She hoped- prayed, Nik hadn't found out about her kissing Damon. Without a doubt, she knew Nik would flip out, and rightfully so.

Nik would have torn the whole world apart, burning it to cinders, till he got his hands-on Damon. It was wrong, she knew it was, but she knew she couldn't tell Nik about what had happened.

He'd been so sweet when she'd arrived home, apologising to her for his beyond insensitive words, which had made everything even worse.

Her hands began rapidly brushing her hair firmer than before as she continued to reminiscent the night before.

Perhaps if she'd come home to Nik badmouthing her, making more mean remarks, it would have been a lot easier. However, that wasn't the case.

Swallowing, Astrid scowled when she'd tugged too harshly with the brush, the bristles pulling at her roots. Satisfied her hair was somewhat decent, Astrid practically threw the brush back onto her dressing table, not jumping at the loud clatter as she exited the room.