[ CHAPTER ELEVEN]

1000 A.C

Tresses of chestnut spirals splayed across his chest, each glossy ringlet cascading down her bare shoulders as she pressed her cheek comfortably into the nape of his neck

He had no idea how long they had been laid like that, Niklaus running his fingers down the curve of her pinched waist and widened hips.

With a tranquil smile on her flush, thin lips, Astrid's bright eyes met his, her vibrant iris' scrutinizing him.

She was no fool, she could feel the tension that resided in his broad shoulders, it had been there since she had brought Rebekah home the following night. Something was clearly occupying that complicated mind of his.

"Is something wrong?" She asked, her voice a brash contrast in the silent cottage, the only other sound being the low crackling of the fire.

His eyes drifted to the dying embers, ribbons of red and yellow desperately trying to spark a brighter hue.

Turning his divided attention to Astrid, his fingers never ceased their movement, continuing to caress her heavenly body as he tried to soothe her concerns.

"Nothing to worry about, I promise." He responded.

Despite all that Tatia said, despite knowing of Kol's apparent affection towards his wife, Niklaus wouldn't believe Tatia's poisonous words, even if the voice in the back of his head called him a fool for doing so.

He couldn't let Tatia slither her way into his head and mess up all that was good between himself and Astrid.

Tatia seemed to get a thrill out of mischief and mayhem, she enjoyed playing those around her as if it was all a foolish game. She wanted him to turn against Astrid and their child, she wanted him to pine over her, like he once had.

Believing his words, Astrid nodded, placing a warm kiss to his chest, just above his heart.

"Is this about last night?" She teased knowingly, a predatorial grin on her lips.

It was no secret that Niklaus hadn't been too pleased when Astrid had returned to the cottage with Rebekah in tow.

As soon as she had entered the house, Rebekah had carelessly flopped and laid out on their fur bed, a mischievous grin on her lips.

She had gleefully and rather quickly pointed out that she was staying the night and he would be sleeping in the spare cot, much to his annoyance.

Apparently the two were having what they had named 'a girl's night', whatever that meant.

When Astrid had retreated to the kitchen to fetch some wine for Rebekah and a hot drink of tea for herself, Rebekah had happily teased Nik about how he was only being grumpy because 'he wouldn't get any that night'.