[ CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO ]

1002, southern france

With Aubrianne's help, Astrid was elegantly attired in a fresh gown, her dark hair dried and styled up into an elegant coiffure, while her skin was overwhelmingly scented with bath salts and floral oils

Though she was thankful for Aubrianne's help, Astrid was more curious on who had ordered the redhead to help her, with the intent of meeting Astrid afterwards.

Eyes scrutinizing her surroundings, sudden footsteps approached her at a fast pace. Darting round in that direction, Astrid was surprised to see Tristan, flanked by two of his guards as he nodded politely at Astrid.

"Lady Astrid, I do hope you do not think it was too forward of me to meet you like this. I Just wished to thank you, my sister has not stopped going on about the walk you two had." Tristan commented, the guards stopping a couple of steps back as he greeted her, taking her hand in his and kissing her palm.

Reminding herself that such an intimate gesture was considered a welcoming and polite gesture by Lords to Ladies, Astrid nodded, forcing a smile.

"Of course not, Lord Tristan. I had a wonderful morning exploring the grounds with the lovely Aurora." She responded falsely.

The morning had been rather boring with Aurora, Astrid had tuned out most of the woman's boring and dull chattering, nodding along and commenting every once and a while.

But Astrid knew that having Lady Aurora on her side would be extremely helpful if she was ever caught in a bad situation, and having Lord Tristan on her side would be a great bonus.

But the young man was not as foolishly trusting and dim-witted as his sister, and taking Lucien's warning in tow, she was playing a very dangerous game, especially when he seemed so overprotective over his sister.

Pleased by her comment, Tristan nodded. "I hope the servant I sent to you was to your liking?"

He seemed to be eager to hear her answer, hoping that the young woman had somehow displeased Astrid.

Had Tristan been the one to harm Aubrianne, the cause of the red mark that decorated her cheekbone?

Perhaps there was something darker in Tristan De Martel that didn't come to surface often.

"Yes, she was very pleasant. A great gift." She chose her words carefully, awaiting his reaction.

He rose a brow. "A gift?"

She hummed in response, a brilliantly seductive smile on her lips. "Yes, I needed a new handmaiden and she is perfect. You are very generous, Lord Tristan."

Perhaps she could help protect Aubrianne from Tristan's wrath without looking too suspicious. Apparently noble women and men didn't care much for those beneath them, wherever it be the people who serve them or the bugs they swat.

The corner of Tristan's lips perked up into an irritated grimace as he nodded. "Yes, I hope she will be useful for the rest of your stay." He commented.

Nodding, she prettily fluttered her lashes. "As I said, you are very generous, My Lord. Perhaps you could extend your generosity and show me around the keep some more? It would be an honor."

Taking her arm in his, Tristan gently began leading her around the grounds, the two guards tailing them as Astrid smiled, pretending to be interested in Tristan's comments.

...

Astrid was pleasantly surprised when she returned to her chamber to find Niklaus waiting for her, pacing tediously as his gaze snapped to her.

As she closed the door behind her, she turned only to find herself nose to nose with Niklaus, heated blue eyes glaring into her.

"Nik, what's wrong?" She questioned, feeling the anger radiating off him in waves.

Hands cupping his face, her thumb tentatively stroked his cheek, hoping to soothe his anger.

Lulling his forehead against hers, he let out a small sigh, breath brushing her lips as his hands landed comfortably on her hips.

"Rebekah's been driving me bloody mental." He grumbled as a soft giggle left Astrid's lips.

"And..." She trailed off knowingly.

Hesitating, his hands gripped her hips tighter. If she had been human, his crushing grip would have hurt.

"She said some things she heard in court, about you and Tristian this afternoon." He commented tensely.

Astrid released a sigh, sometimes she felt as if her husband didn't trust her, as if she was the one who had been unfaithful with another man.

Shaking her head, her thumb continued to brush his cheek. "You know what Rebekah's like, so god knows what these other stuck up ladies are like! Girls like to gossip about nothing, Nik. I promise."

He hesitated. "So where were you then?"

She smiled, not wanting to lie to him. It wasn't as if she was doing anything wrong. She wanted them both to stay at the De Martel's household for a little longer, she wanted Niklaus to enjoy himself and indulge in the comforts the household was offering.

"I was with Tristan. He wanted to thank me for spending time with Aurora and then proceeded to show me around the rest of the keep."

A throaty growl that practically dripped with possessiveness left his lips, but before he could make any comment, Astrid swiftly continued.

"He was incredibly dull believe me, husband, not as dull as his sister, but dull nevertheless. I am trying to make sure we have powerful allies in the court, should we ever need to use them." She informed him.

Pausing, Astrid internally debated if she should tell Niklaus what had happened with Kol, though she suspected if she did, the castle would become a red war zone.

The cold stone walls would be coated with blood, and not even Elijah, Rebekah and Finn could hold back an enraged Niklaus from Kol.

Her husband was jealous enough with her simply going on a walk with Tristan, telling him about Kol would only push him over the edge.

Leaning closer, her breath fanned against his lips, fingers reaching up to tuck a loose curl behind his ear. "My husband, you are selfish, possessive, overbearing, and yet I love you more than life itself, you know that."

Chuckling in amusement, his tense posture relaxed as he leaned forward, pressing his moist, full lips against hers.

She loved him. She was just trying to protect him from himself, from the dangerous jealousy that manifested within him.

Telling him about Kol would only hurt him.

As he pulled her into a passionate frenzied embrace, Astrid internally reminded herself that she was not telling him to protect him, that she was doing the right thing.