[CHAPTER FIFTY-FOUR]

1919, New Orleans

       The streets of New Orleans were filled with their typical hustle and bustle as the two vampires, attired in powder blue nurse gowns, practically skipped down the streets without a care in the world

Arm linked through arm, giggles left their painted crimson lips as they walked with a quirky springs in their steps, despite finishing what was a rather tiresome shift at the fluer-de-liis sanatorium.

Even for a nine-hundred-year-old vampire, it was draining, dealing with sick humans who were rightfully in rotten moods.

It was her good deed of the century she'd told Nik, much to his amusement when he'd questioned her on the matter.

"Genevieve certainly wasn't happy with us!" Eve exclaimed with a bright smile, though the nervous glint in her almond iris' signified her anxiety of upsetting the redhead in charge of their ward.

Waving the comment off, Astrid's crimson lips lifted into an amused smirk as she turned to glance at the brunette.

Honey curls flooded down her back from the sudden motion as she addressed the baby vampire.

After the ball, Eve had become a fast friend of Astrid's, even if the Astrid was eight-hundred-and-ninety years her senior. Eve had become Astrid's rock during Marcel's first year away from home.

"Oh please, Genevieve couldn't harm a fly. Besides, she's far too busy trying to fit in to make any enemies." Astrid snorted, shaking her head at the thought of the redheaded witch.

The head nurse was extremely tiresome and boring, but most off all she was desperate for a friend. Astrid thought she was rather pathetic, especially considering she was a practicing witch.

The fresh breeze rattled with a cold brush of air as the somewhat eerie sound of wind chimes sung in the distance.

Astrid welcomed the burst of cold air, golden curls flying in the breeze as she mustered a smile.

Though she had voluntarily began working with for sanatorium, Astrid was relieved to leave the premises of the ghastly place.

With the influenza epidemic threatening to potentially consume all the humans and witches in New Orleans, Astrid and Eve had graciously volunteered to help contain and isolate the infection.

After all, it wasn't as if the two of them could have fallen ill.

Over her vast lifetime, Astrid had first handily experienced many different epidemics on many different scales; the bubonic plague, the third cholera pandemic and even the smallpox epidemic.

Despite being no stranger to death and having far from clean hands, it truly was a dreadful sight to behold; a horrid way for anyone to die.

The virus didn't just go for the old or the weak, it didn't just attack the horrid and the cruel; it affected the young and the healthy, the innocent and the kind.