V:2 C:4 Painting the Town... RED!

(Alright my favorite chapter, mainly cause of all the cool stuff here. Also Barbatos gets to do stuff, and not be a background character.)

"Penny, I-I don't understand..." Ruby said, not being confused on Penny being a robot, but more on why she freaking out.

"Most girls are born, but I was made. I'm the world's first synthetic person capable of generating an Aura," She turns her head to the side sadly. "I'm not real..."

Ruby take Penny's hands in her own. "Of course you are. You think just because you've got nuts and bolts instead of squishy guts makes you any less real than me?"

"I don't... um..." She leans in close to Ruby's face. "You're... taking this extraordinarily well."

"You're not like those things we saw back there," Ruby taps Penny's chest, followed by metal echos. "You've got a heart, and a soul; I can feel it!"

"Ooohh... oh Ruby," She quickly grabs Ruby into a hug and shakes her back and forth. "You're the best friend anyone could have!"

"I can see why your father would want to protect such a delicate flower!" Ruby said while her voice was muffled.

After she releases Ruby, she went back to her happy self. "Oh, he's very sweet! My father's the one that built me! I'm sure you would love him!"

"Wow," They both shared a giggles. "He built you all by himself?"

"Well, almost! He had some help from my 'brother' and Mr. Ironwood."

"The General?! Wait... Is that why those soldiers were after you?"

"They like to protect me, too!" Penny said with a smile.

"They don't think you can protect yourself?" Ruby said with a scoffs.

"They're not sure if I'm ready yet... One day, it will be my job to save the world, but I still have a lot left to learn. That's why my father let me come to the Vytal Festive. I want to see what it's like in the rest of the world, and test myself in the Tournament."

"Penny, what are you talking about? Save the world from what? We're in a time of peace!" 

"That's not what Mr. Ironwood said..." Penny said in a confused tone.

"Check down here!" They heard one of the soldiers from before near them.

"You have to hide!" Penny said as she picks up her friend effortlessly.

"Penny, wait! What are you doing? You don't have to go with them! I can help you!" Ruby said as she tries to get out of Penny's grip.

Penny throws Ruby in the trash and lifts the lid so she can still talk. "It's okay, Ruby. They're not bad people; I just don't want to get you in trouble. Just promise me you won't tell anyone else my secret. Okay?" She stares at Ruby. 

"I promise," Ruby promised to her strange friend. Ruby lowers her head into the garbage as the lid is put down, but she lifts it a little to peek to she her friend and her situation. 

"There she is!" One of the soldiers found her.

"Sal-u-tations, officers!"

"Why were you running? And what happened to the other girl?"

"What girl? I've been by myself all day!" She hiccups loudly,  but then quickly smiles at the soldier.

"You shouldn't cause such a scene."

Another soldier joins his friend. "Are you okay?"

"Just a scratch." Penny said showing her scratched palms.