V:3 C:7 The Start

Cinder follows her through the crowded, ornate lobby. A blushing woman takes a swig of beer. Two women talk on a landing. Madame leads Cinder through a door behind the front desk, into an employee room, where she clears her throat to get Cinder's attention. Nearby stand the Madame's daughters. Cinder is distracted by a basket of steaming rolls.

"You're to make sure the laundry is folded, the dishes are spotless, and the floors are clean enough to eat off of," Madame told 

Madame begins walking away, and Cinder reaches toward her.

"F-food?" Cinder asked with a bit of hope.

Madame's daughters gasp. The straight-haired one raised an eyebrow at her, and the curly-haired one giggles. Madame picks up a roll and tosses it onto the floor in front of Cinder.

"Now hurry and get to your chores. The floor looks filthy," Madame said to her

Madame exits the room with a smirk as Cinder drops to her knees and picks up the roll. The step sisters follow their mother, laughing to each other.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"How did you do that?" Cinder asked Emerald, who was cornered against a wall. She glares at this stranger while glancing around, backing away slowly and not answering. Without warning, she attempts to get her revolvers from their holsters. "Don't," Emerald grimaces before Cinder continues. "Unless, of course, you want them to hear you," There is a sound of footsteps running past while she speaks.

"What do you want?" Emerald ask her.

"I've already told you. And I don't like repeating myself."

"I didn't do anything! Just leave me alone!"

"I know my fair share of liars and thieves. Stealing is an art of patience, coordination, and in a pinch, sleight of hand. But you didn't steal the ring in your pocket," Emerald looks shocked and checks the pocket where her prize is as Cinder crosses her arms. "You took it right before the jeweller's eyes."

Emerald's surprise turns to suspicion once more. "Who are you?"

Cinder keeps her smilie.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The panting, bruised and bloodied face of Mercury Blake. He is missing his armor and sash, and his knees are bandaged and stained with blood. There is light from a burning house dancing to his back as he stands before a confident Cinder and wary Emerald.

"What are you looking at!?" Mercury asked them with rage.

"I'm looking for Marcus Blake," Cinder told him.

Mercury spits blood on the ground as he gestures back at the burning house and the white-haired man lying face down behind him. "There you go."

"That's... the assassin?" Emerald ask, with a bit of fear in her voice.

Cinder calmly looking up at Mercury. "And you're his son," Mercury doesn't acknowledge this, merely wiping his lips of blood, but she grins now "We saw your fight from the treeline. He's taught you well."

"Guess so."

"What's your name?"

He waited for a moment before he tells her. "Mercury."

Cinder nodding in approval. "Mercury... Tell me, are you anything like your father?"

Cinder keeping that same smile.