45

This was the second time in two weeks that Lan Wangji had scaled the walls of Wuxian’s apartment and broken into his room.
This time he didn’t enter immediately though but jammed his foot on the ledge and looked in. However, there was no sound, none whatsoever, not even from the shower. Wangji realised the owner of the room wasn’t even home. He was about to leave when he thought otherwise. Climbing into the room, he settled himself on the bed and called Wuxian. He heard the ring nearby and looked around before his eyes found the device on the study table across the room.
Sighing, he cut the call and waited.
---
Wuxian went everywhere looking for Lan Wangji. His home, which was locked, his garage which was also locked and the UNI, but that was a huge place to search for someone, just like looking for a needle in a haystack. So, finally feeling dejected he returned home only to be rendered speechless at the sight waiting for him. Cheng had not informed him of Wangji’s presence in the house so it only meant that the bad boy had sneaked into his house through the window. But he didn’t say anything, just stared at the beautiful man lying on his bed, eyes closed.
He heard Cheng coming towards his room so he quickly entered, closing the door with a soft click. This time when he turned around, he found his eyes locked with golden eyes. Eyes that showed no emotion, just stared at him; stared until he was squirming under the intense gaze.
Wangji wanted to reach out and gather the other into his arms but he refrained. He simply got up and walked towards the window as if to leave.
“Lan Zhan!” Wuxian called out, fear clawing at his throat at losing the only chance he would have to apologize. “Please, Lan Zhan. I am sorry. Don’t go.” His voice cracked as a sob broke out. He fell on his knees, just like how Wangji had fallen to his knees the other night, the thud of knees hitting the wooden floor loud in the quiet room.
“Get up, Wei Ying.”
“No! No I won’t. You have to hear me out…”
Wangji looked at Wuxian for the longest time and then walked towards him, his steps slow but sure. He stood in front of Wuxian and then leaned down. Wuxian didn’t flinch, he kept his gaze locked with the other, eyes earnest, a residual tear clinging to his lashes.
“What? Not afraid of me anymore?”
“I was never afraid of you.”
“Well you should be.”
Like a final verdict that was passed by the judge, Wangji picked Wuxian up and threw him over his shoulders, carrying him downstairs.
“Lan Zhan!” Wuxian screeched in surprise. “Put me down!”
“No.” One word. That was all that Wangji said.
Wuxian tried to find purchase but he was held in such an awkward angle that he couldn’t do anything else but be carried like a sack of potatoes. He resigned himself to being made fun of by Jiang Cheng and that’s exactly what happened.
His siblings were sitting on the couch chatting when Wangji walked downstairs carrying a shrieking Wuxian. “Lan Wangji, the fuck you doing in our house?” Cheng almost choked on his tea, trying to decide if he should laugh at Wuxian or help him out.
Jiang Yanli on the other hand snickered at the sight in front of her and took out her phone to record everything.
“I have business to discuss with Wei Ying.” Wangji said and kept walking.
“Jie! Stop taking pictures and help me! Cheng!”
“Nope.” The siblings said in unison as both collapsed on the couch laughing out loud.
“The betrayal!” Wuxian screamed. “I will remember this!”
Wangji walked out and plopped him on the back of his bike and his eyes clearly said, “Don’t you dare move!” so Wuxian meekly made himself comfortable, receiving an appreciative hum from his boyfriend.
Wangji got on his bike, started it and looked back as if asking Wuxian to do something. After about a minute of Wangji staring at him, Wuxian’s brain kick-started and he wrapped his arms around his boyfriend. He used the opportunity to admire Wangji’s perfect abs but got a smack on his hands when his fingers got too close to the other’s jeans button.
He pouted and snuggled closer to the man as he rested his chin on the other’s shoulder. He had missed him and finally he was able to hug him.
“Lan Zhan, where are you taking me?”
No answer.
“Lan Zhan… won’t you answer me?”
Still nothing.
I guess I am being kidnapped.
Wuxian had a frown marring his beautiful features, when the rumbling of the bike stopped in front of the now familiar iron gates. It slid open on a press of a button and then they went in, the gate closing behind them with finality.
“Lan Zhan, why are we here?”
Wuxian sighed when Wangji didn’t answer. He knew that he had been an asshole three days ago and Wangji was not a person to forgive that easily but with so much time passed and not a single word from Wangji, Wuxian was starting to get worried.
“Won’t you talk to me, Lan Zhan?”
It was as if Wuxian was talking to a wall. He got no response. Nothing whatsoever. And that was like an assault on his already frayed nerves. Wuxian now knew what it felt like to be on the receiving end of Lan Wangji’s cold anger.
He was dragged inside and then almost pushed on to the single couch in the huge space. Wangji’s garage. That’s where he had brought him. It brought back memories, good memories and that in turn made Wuxian’s eyes well up with tears again.
Wasn’t it a few days ago that I was here? Sketching him; the masterpiece that he is. Wasn’t it here where we almost had sex? Where he had said he would never do anything against my will? And yet, I did not trust him.
He was overcome with so much guilt that now he had openly started sobbing.
Wangji squatted in front of him and quietly wiped his tears away. “Wei Ying”
“Lan Zhan, I-”
“Do you know why I brought you here, Wei Ying?” Wangji interrupted.
Wuxian shook his head and was about to say something more when Wangji continued.
“This is where I had promised myself I would always take care of you. You remember that day, bunny?” His voice had gone soft now, no trace of the anger left in it. “You looked so beautiful wrapped in my blanket that I couldn’t help but stare at you for a long time. I can still see the scene if I close my eyes.”
“Lan Zhan” It was a whisper that left Wuxian’s lips, like a prayer.
“I fell in love with you here. Earlier today when I was talking with my brother, it suddenly hit me that I have truly fallen for you. And then I thought about when exactly I fell and all my mind could think of was the time we stayed here after Sang’s accident. It was here as you exposed your vulnerabilities to me that my heart must have realized that I would lay down my life for you even before my brain could catch up with the feelings.”
Wuxian was dumbstruck. He had expected Wangji to shout at him but this was even more heartbreaking. This confession. Lan Wangji loved him. The most beautiful man in the world loved him. HIM.