41

Lan Wangji paced in front of Wuxian’s apartment as he waited for the latter to return. It was way past midnight and Wuxian still kept ignoring his calls.
Please pick up, please pick up, please pick up…
He kept repeating in his head, hoping, praying that Wuxian would pick his phone or at least message him back. Wangji was just about to walk up to the house and knock on the door, when he heard the sound of a car, before he saw it come to a stop in front of the house. He was curious as to who it could be that had come visiting this late at night when the driver side’s door opened. For a minute, Wangji was gobsmacked.
Su She?
Wangji noticed the red varsity jacket and also the nasty bump on the front bender of Su She’s car. Something about it seemed off so he decided to stand back and observe. But then when the passenger door opened, his heart constricted. Wuxian stepped out of the car, looking beautiful as ever.
It seemed the two had not yet noticed the presence of Lan Wangji yet, who just stood there beside his bike, unable to move, unable to make even a sound. All his attention was now focused on his boyfriend.
He saw Wuxian walk up to the door as Su She followed him. He saw them exchange a few words and smiles. And he saw Su She giving Wuxian a hug. A half hug but still..
Lan Wangji saw red. Before rational thought could intervene into the haze of anger and jealousy that course through him, he had already walked to the door, pulled Su She off of Wuxian and punched him on the nose.
“Lan Zhan!” Wuxian screeched. But Wangji couldn’t hear him. All he heard was the sound of blood rushing into his ears. He picked Su She up and slammed him against the wall, making the other see stars.
“Lan Wangji!” Su She shouted. He had his hand on his nose trying to staunch the blood, pain evident on his face.
“How dare you touch what is mine? A bloody nose is nothing, I will fucking strangle you to death if you ever put your filthy hands on him. He’s mine. MINE!” Wangji was shouting now as he repeatedly slammed Su She on the wall.
Wuxian tried to grab Wangji’s arm in an attempt to stop him from committing murder which he was afraid Wangji was very capable of considering his current rage. He was scared. This was Lan Wangji at his worst. This was a Lan Wangji he didn't know, didn’t understand. He had always known him to be a bad boy and he had seen a glimpse of this when they had gone to confront Jin Zixuan but tonight.. Tonight what he saw made him fear him. Before Wuxian could say anything, Su She had spoken again.
“He’s not your pet, Lan Wangji. You don’t own him.”
“No, no he’s not and no I don’t own him, but he is MY boyfriend.. So FUCK OFF! If I see you around him ever again, you’ll regret the day you were born.” Wangji threw him away like a rag doll.
Su She picked himself up from the ground and spat on it. “Is this how you treat your boyfriend then? By fucking around with other women?” He took his phone out and showed the twitter post that Qin Su had made earlier that night. “Tell me this post is a lie, Lan Wangji!”
It took Wangji a minute to get through the shock to realize Qin Su had played him.
“Cat got your tongue, Wangji? It should be in headlines.. The King of the streets can’t keep it in his pants..” Su She sneered and Wuxian saw the ugly side of him then but what captured his eyes was the tweet.
Wuxian was shell shocked. The fact that Wangji didn’t even try to deny the tweet was just another proof that tonight had indeed happened.
The tears he had been holding back had now found their way onto his cheeks. A sob escaped his lips and finally Wangji snapped back to reality. He turned around in a heartbeat.
“Wei Ying…” He moved to touch Wuxian’s arms but the other flinched back, eyes filled with sadness, betrayal… and fear. He was the reason for those emotions flitting around in his boyfriend’s eyes. It was his fault. His bunny being scared and distrustful of him hurt him more than he could even begin to comprehend. “Wei Ying, please listen to me…”
“Why should he listen to you when everyone knows you will lie your way out of this? You are such an asshole, Lan Wangji!”
Saying that, Su She walked to his car. Just as he was about to get in, Wangji called out.
“I would get that bumper fixed, Su She. Looks like you hit something big.”
Su She's eyes widened in surprise and panic but neither Lan Wangji nor Wei Wuxian cared to notice. He quickly got behind the wheel and drove away.
“Wei Ying…”
“I called you today, Lan Zhan.. I called and she picked up. She said you were in the shower and she would let you know I called.” Wuxian murmured as if afraid saying out loud would make it more real.
“She lied, Wei Ying…”
“Did she? So didn’t you go to her place tonight? Didn’t you make ramen for her? Didn’t you hug her tonight, Lan Zhan?”
“Bunny, all of those things did happen but-”
“So it’s all true?” Wuxian’s voice trembled as he asked. “Don’t come near me, Lan Zhan… Lan Wangji…”
Wangji’s knees buckled under him and he fell onto the ground, his tear-filled eyes locked with Wuxian’s.
“Wei Ying… scream at me, hit me, drag me through hell if you want but please, please do not push me away like this. Just hear me out… please. I have never lied to you and I never will. Wei Ying...Bunny…”
“Go away… I need time… I can’t deal with this now.. Please, leave me alone…”
Wuxian ran into the house then and Wangji heard the door slam. His bunny had left him kneeling on the driveway, alone. He felt so alone.