42

SS: I did what you asked me to do.
QS: Thanks, baby. This is so much fun. Was Wuxian hurt? Was he crying?
SS: Of course, it’s only human to feel sadness when betrayed by the one you love.
ZX: This is great! SuSu finally will have her revenge.
QS: Yes, I will…
SS: I don’t like this, guys.. I mean I hate Lan Wangji but I don’t like doing underhanded shit like this.
ZX: Well, you have already done it anyway. What’s the point in feeling guilty? Just snort some and be happy..
SS: You’re despicable! Anyway, Lan Wangji saw the huge dent in my bumper, so I am going to get that fixed.
ZX: You have a dent in your bumper and you didn’t even get that fixed yet?
SS: I was preoccupied, OK? Not everyone can get out of hitting someone overnight. I still get nightmares..
ZX: Told you, the thing I gave you would help…
QS: Do you think he suspects me?
SS: No… He just commented off-handedly. So I don’t think he suspects anything yet.
QS: Oh, OK then. Get it fixed ASAP.
SS: Yeah, I am out.

-----

Wuxian went into his room, curled up on the floor and cried himself to sleep.
That’s how Jiang Cheng found him when he came into his room the next day. He didn’t disturb him and left to attend his classes, planning to give Xian as much space as he needed. When he came back in the afternoon, Xian was still in the same position. It worried him. Wuxian was not someone to take things lightly, he usually always thought things through but something about Lan Wangji made him very vulnerable. Jiang Cheng wasn’t sure he liked that. He quietly walked up to his elder brother and shook him awake.
“Xian…”
Wuxian woke up cold, groggy and with puffy painful eyes.
“Oh Cheng. Hey, when did you get back?”
“Just now.”
“Aah, is it morning already? Damn it, what time is it? I have an important lecture today.”
“Xian?”
“Mn?”
“It’s afternoon and you missed class”
“Oh no… I…”
“Wanna talk?”
Wuxian sighed, “No.”
“Xian…” Cheng sighed. “Fine, as you wish. Go freshen up while I cook something for you.”
“I know I should probably talk but give me some time, OK?”
Later as he sat on the kitchen table with his coffee, Jiang Cheng placed a plate of food in front of him.
“Are you going to see Sang tonight?”
“Yes. Ning and MianMian will be there too. They wanted to invite you but I said, I would ask. Do you wanna come?”
Xian shook his head. He was in no position to be around people right now. He needed to be alone, to think, to decide.
“How are Sang and Ning? I feel like I haven’t hung out with you guys in ages.”
“That’s just your sadness speaking. And Sang is the usual. Up to no good, whatsoever. He’s currently playing cupid with Ning and MianMian.”
“Oh.. I didn’t expect anything less.” Wuxian tried to smile but it fell flat. “Aah, I never really told you this, but I am so glad you finally trusted your feelings and confessed.”
“Are you trusting your feelings, Xian?”
“We’re talking about you and Sang.. not me and..” Wuxian trailed off.
“Wangji?” Cheng supplied. “Is it so hard to even let his name come to your lips?”
“I trusted him Cheng, I gave him everything I could give him and yet… yet he went back to her. I am not enough.”
“That’s a lie and even you know that. When I saw the pictures last night, even I was pissed but then…”
“But then?” Wuxian prompted.
“But then I saw him today, kneeling in our driveway.”
Wuxian felt panic build in his chest. “He was still kneeling in the morning? But I told him to leave.”
“He was still there, that stubborn, hard-headed man. I had to call Xichen-ge to take him away.”
Wuxian couldn’t take it anymore, he started sobbing and Cheng dropped everything to hug him.

-----

He had stayed kneeling in front of his house, in hopes he would give him a chance to explain but he didn’t. It was Xichen who had half-dragged, half-carried him away. It was Xichen who had asked him to give Wuxian some space. So he did.
Three days. Three long days without seeing his bunny. Three long days without talking to him or texting him. Three long days which felt like years. He missed him, missed his smile, his hugs, his laugh, his shyness, his occasional show of dominance but most of all he missed the feeling of completeness he got every time he was with him.
“Wei Ying…” his name was whispered from his lips like a prayer.
He had stayed away. He had not sought him out. But why wasn’t the other bridging the gap? Was it too late already? Had he fucked it up? It had been three days.. And yet, no sign of Wuxian.
He remembered the look of fear and distrust on Wuxian’s eyes. Seeing those expressions on his beloved bunny’s face left him feeling raw but he did not regret hitting Su She. He would do that again if he got a chance. That bastard needed to be taught a lesson. Lan Wangji was still furious. No one had the right to touch Wei Wuxian. Not his Wei Ying, who was so pure like an angel. At times he thought even he wasn’t good enough for him but he was addicted now, he couldn’t let him go even if he wanted to. Not that he wanted to.
Then suddenly a thought popped into his head, piercing his very soul. What if his bunny really wanted to break-up and move on… would he let him? He breathed through the pain as he thought about it. Even if it killed him, he would do it for his Wei Ying, but not before he made sure the other knew the truth.
He had listened to Xichen’s advice for long enough, it was time to take things into his own hands. He had to make Wuxian listen to his side of the story.