32

Jiang Cheng felt that if he even dared to cry, the reality would catch up to him.
The one reality where Huaisang might not be there anymore.
So he held on to the one string of hope, that when this was all over, he would not waste anymore time. Consequences be damned.

"You guys should go home and rest, let us take turns. It's going to be a long wait anyway. Wangji?" Xichen talked to the rest of them. "I will stay here with Ming."

"I agree. We will go back and catch up on some sleep. Q, take Li-jie home as well.”

“I am standing right here you know, Wangji.”

“Jie…” Wuxian interrupted before Yanli could scold Wangji. “Lan Zhan is right. I know you’re worried but this is not about you anymore… you need to think about the life inside you.”

“A-Xian…”

“Listen to them, Li.” It was Mingjue who spoke now. “Sang will be here when you come back later. We’re not going anywhere.”

With so many people going against her, she had no choice but to relent. “Fine! But I will be back later.”

“Ofcourse, Li. I will bring you back with me when I have my shift, alright? Let’s go. Ning, you coming?” Qing held Yanli’s hand and they walked out saying their goodbyes.

“Yes, jie.” Wen Ning bowed to the others and followed them out.

“We will be back later." Wangji nodded, and ushered Wuxian out ignoring his protests.

“Why can’t I stay?”

“Because I can see it on your face that you’re about to drop due to exhaustion.” Wangji countered.

“But… but…”

“Shush” Wangji put a finger on Wuxian’s lips.
“Cheng?” Wangji asked, turning to the other man.

"I will stay here."

Wangji nodded and started dragging Wuxian with him.

"But..." Wuxian tried to reason with him but Wangji touched his arm, and shook his head.

"Let him, he won't get any rest back home anyway."

Wuxian seemed to catch on immediately and only nodded, knowing exactly how his brother felt. He walked to his brother and hugged him. “Cheng, I’ll be back soon, alright.”

Cheng just inclined his head in acknowledgement as Wuxian let go and held the hand that Wangji had extended towards him and left.

“I will go get some more coffee…” Cheng said and left without another word leaving Mingjue, Xichen and Yao in the now empty waiting room, looking at the closing door in astonishment.

“Go talk to him Da-ge.” Yao said.

“Me? Why me?”

“Because he’s your brother’s bestie. And if I am getting this right, he has feelings for Sang.”

“He does.”

“He does? How do you know?”

“Sang is my brother, yao… and he’s never hidden things from me. Never. So I’ve always known.”

“I can’t imagine what he is feeling, right now.” Xichen piped up.

“It must be hard…”

“It must be…” Suddenly Mingjue turned towards Xichen, eyes glistening with unshed tears. “Don’t you ever dare leave me, do you understand? Ever!”