9

After the birthday party, Wei Wuxian and Jiang Cheng dropped their sister to her shared home with Zixuan. They hugged her and promised to spend more time together soon. Both of them insisted she get in before they left so Yanli had no choice but to go in. She didn't want them to witness any disturbance between her and Zixuan but they were adamant boys, those two. She waved at them from the door before she unlocked it and went inside. With a sigh the boys started walking back to the car only to stop when they heard the sound of glass breaking and a faint sound of people arguing coming from inside the house. The brothers looked at each other unsure of what to do. They wanted to barge in and help but Yanli had always tried to hide her problems from them, but they didn't know if she would appreciate the help. After a while, the sound dissipated, and both of them left with heavy hearts spending the rest of the drive home in silence.

They got into their shared apartment a little after midnight, and when Jiang Cheng readied himself to go to sleep, Wei Wuxian called out to him.

"Isn't it about time that we talked about...what happened?"

Jiang Cheng stopped in his tracks, and looked back at his brother.

"Are you sure? I mean, I'm not even sure myself about...what happened just now." But he turned back to the living room and sat on the couch, flipping the tv on for background noise.

"I get a pretty good idea of what's going on, I just need to understand why jie lets that bastard do... things to her."

"Maybe it's because they're engaged. You know how mom has prepared everything and maybe Jie doesn't want to disappoint? You know what? I'm not going to pretend that I understand when I very clearly don't." Jiang Cheng took the pillow and squashed it hard. "Is this what love is supposed to be? I know I have never been in love before, but jie...jie was so happy when she first fell in love, but lately... lately, she doesn't smile as much. We don't even see her that often."

"I get that, and I don't really understand either about what is making her stay, even though it's clearly tearing her apart." Wei Wuxian had taken the time when Cheng was talking to prepare tea. He handed a hot cup of tea to Cheng and sat down beside his brother on the couch. "I want to respect her decision but it's so hard! She is letting that peacock dictate her life. Jie was always so strong and now.. now she's become this weak person who doubts her own abilities. Zixuan did that. He is at fault but Jie always blames herself."

"I really don't understand what makes her stay after all this time, Xian, I mean, sure that peacock is wealthy as fuck, but it doesn't guarantee that they will be happy for the rest of their life, does it? After all, jie could provide for herself!"

"Now now, don't get worked up, Cheng, we need to think clearly if we're going to be of any help to jie." Wei Wuxian, being his usual self, tried to calm down Jiang Cheng.

Jiang Cheng was the complete opposite of his brother. Wei Wuxian was a calm and collected person, he was the kind who looked at a problem and tried to solve it in non-violent ways. Jiang Cheng, however, was more volatile though because of his sibling's influence he did manage to reign his anger in. Not a lot of people knew about his temper as he would mostly remain aloof in a crowd he wasn't comfortable with.

"Sometimes I just want to...strangle that peacock, screw consequences." He walked in circles now.

"Mm, don't we all..." Wei Wuxian sipped his tea, pondering about the same conversation he had with Lan Wangji just this afternoon. "You know what, I was actually having this almost exact conversation with Lan Wangji just this afternoon, and I also asked him the same question you just asked me."

"Oh?" Jiang Cheng stopped suddenly and his eyebrows shot up in surprise.

"He is actually a very easy man to talk to... once you get to know him." Wei Wuxian suddenly felt hot all over his face.

"I think, you're the only person to ever put Lan Wangji and easy to talk to in the same sentence. Ever." Jiang Cheng looked at his brother, amused by the redness of his usually very calm brother. "Do you like him?"

"I...I don't know, he was just very approachable tonight, although sometimes he's insufferable... please don't ask me that question, I don't want to even know what this is all about..." Xian covered his face in mortification, while Jiang Cheng only looked at him in amusement, all anger draining out after this revelation.

---
Later that night, Jiang Cheng talked to Nie Huaisang in their daily chat.

JC: You're surely had Lan Wangji's number, given that you're the biggest gossip in school.

NHS : *gasp* the audacity to even ask! Of course I have his number, are you asking for yourself or for Xian?

JC : I was thinking more on the line of you giving him Xian's number, and let him contact Xian, you know, to speed up this...whatever this is.

NHS : ..... Liar. I know it has nothing to do with whatever is going on between them. You just enjoy watching your brother make a fool of himself in front of the King.

JC: Hey! I'm considerate, and not an idiot like Xian.

NHS : Pfft! You're really insufferable, you know that? Now get to the point, why do you want Lan Wangji's number? What's wrong?

JC : Who said anything was wrong?

NHS : *rolls his eyes* Shall I remind you that I know you too well? Or do you want me to throw some sense into you?

JC : and you call me insufferable..hmpf!

NHS : Just spill it already!

JC : *sigh* It's just jie, I was just talking to Xian, about why jie seems to be so determined to hang on to her relationship with that peacock, I mean, you know how their relationship looks like from outside but from where I stand, it's in shambles. I mean, if that's what love is... I don't really want to fall in love, hell, I'm scared of falling in love, Sang...

NHS : ... Cheng, b, listen to me, not all love is like that, OK? Now repeat after me, not all love is like that, hell, do you know about my brother and Lan Xichen? They are in love and they're so freaking happy I could vomit rainbows whenever I see them. They treat their partner as equal, with respect, are you listening, b?

JC : ... I am, Sang, I'm just..frustrated, I just wish Li-jie gave us some kind of signal and we're going to save her from anything...

NHS : And what makes you think that she can't save herself?

JC : *sigh*

NHS : You have to understand, your sister is a strong woman, right now maybe she doesn't see her way out of this, but will you just... trust her? I know it's hard and I don't have any emotional attachment to her as you do, but it makes me a perfect person to analyze the situation from outsider's point of view, understand? Besides, at first sign of cry for help, I'll be the one to drag you over there and kick the door myself. So will Xian, you know that.

JC:... how did you become so mature, Nie Huaisang?

NHS : hey, I always so mature, it's just you who doesn't notice.

JC :... Oh I notice, alright.

NHS : B...

JC : Thanks, Sang

NHS : *clears throat* Sure, Cheng, sleep tight, OK?

JC : You too, I'll see you tomorrow

NHS : OK, night B

JC : Night

-----

Lan Wangji was sitting on his bed, working on some school assignment on his laptop, when his phone chimed. He flipped it on and then frowned seeing a text from an unknown number.

Unknown : 08051005 Xian's number, you're welcome.

He pondered over this cryptic message, and decided to try it out.

LWJ : Is this Wei Wuxian's phone?

Wei Wuxian was still a bit emotional after the talk with his brother. He heard the ping of an incoming text and flipped his phone open to check.

Unknown : Is this Wei Wuxian's phone?

Hmm... Wuxian thought. Who could it be, this late at night?

WWX : Who is this? Yes this is Wei Wuxian.

LWJ : I thought I was being pranked. Hey, Bunny!

WWX : What do you mean, being pranked? And how the hell did you get my number?

LWJ : Someone sent me your phone number, but didn't give me their name. So, are you getting ready to sleep?

WWX : Why?

LWJ : Nothing, just curious. How's Yanli jie? Is she okay?

WWX : Funny you should ask, I just talked about her with Jiang Cheng just now, and I was wondering the same thing.

LWJ : I think you should give her the benefit of a doubt, Xian. From what my brother told me, she is very capable of taking care of herself, and yes, Xichen-ge also worries about her, and Ming-ge is even more... prejudiced toward Zixuan.

WWX : I.. I just can't stand seeing her being unhappy all the time she's with that peacock.

LWJ : do you want me to do something? Running interference? Beat him up?

Wei Wuxian chuckled, seeing Lan Wangji's message, it strangely cheered him up.

WWX : I wish... but thanks for the offer, I will definitely look for you if there's going to be any violence involved.

LWJ : Hey, you can always look for me anytime, besides, I'm a peace loving man who loves nothing more than a walk on the beach and cuddling with animals... especially bunnies...I really like bunnies...

WWX: I will block you!

LWJ: Will you?

WWX: ...

LWJ: Sleep tight bunny. Dream of me.

WWX: Get lost!

Wei Wuxian felt hot all over again so he had disconnected the phone after he asked Lan Wangji to go to hell. However, he felt strangely happy as he switched his phone off and went to bed.

-----

After that, Lan Wangji called Q, to extend the news to her.

Manchild : Q

Q : Yes problem child?

Manchild : you should thank me for this information I was about to tell you

Q : Depend on the info

Manchild : So, little birdie told me that your object of affection is in not-so-good place right now. Worse than we thought. 

Manchild : So, I guess it's time to run interference?

Q : Hmm, you know that you will lose any chance you got with him, if he finds out, yeah?

Manchild : Not if it all turns out well

Q : I hope so too

Q : well, I guess I'll go give her a visit tomorrow

Manchild : Ooh, that eager? Must be something in the air.. *coughs*

Q : Speak for yourself!

Manchild : You do realize that we're going to be related if it ends well?

Q : Ugh, don't remind me!