28

That day when all of them had gone out for a stroll, a tiny bike model at one of the stores they had passed, had caught Wei Wuxian’s attention. He gushed over the details while making starry eyes at it.

“Isn’t this so pretty, Lan Zhan?” He had said.

“Mn”

Wei Wuxian asked a worker at the shop if the bike was for sale but the worker said it was not. Mood dampened, Wuxian returned the model back on its display.

“Let’s go Lan Zhan, the others must be wondering where we are…” Wuxian said as he walked out of the store.

Lan Wangji watched Wuxian walk away dejected. He turned to the worker then. “Can I talk to the owner please?”

---

That was almost two days ago. In those two days Wei Wuxian had been busy playing mediator between Jiang Cheng and Nie Huaisang. It wasn’t like they were being jerks to each other but the lack of communication was bothering Wuxian and he needed to be there for them. He thanked the almighty for sending Wen Ning to them because it was getting tiring to the point where Wei Wuxian wanted to actually lock his brother and his best friend in a room until they figured things out. Never in his dreams had he thought that he would take Lan Wangji’s suggestion, a joke obviously, as a viable option. He was becoming desperate and desperate times called for desperate measures.

On top of all that, because of the situation at hand, he couldn’t take any time out to meet Wangji. He knew the guy was getting frustrated, he was too, after that night they had spent together stargazing. Even the thought of the morning after always made him blush. They had not started dating and yet he had already come to feel a camaraderie with the other man. Something about him managed to calm his nerves. In fact, he had realized at some point that he had started seeking the bad boy every time he felt any emotion; sadness, joy, excitement. It was as if he had to share all of that with him and Lan Wangji never disappointed. He always responded to his texts, always called back if he missed a call. The bad boy was slowly but surely making his way into Wei Wuxian’s heart and he couldn’t yet decide if that was a good thing or not.

He sighed. He had come back from the university some time ago and gone straight to his bedroom. He had paint splotches over his skin and he needed to take a shower before he cooked dinner for Cheng and him.

Humming to himself he changed out of the dirty clothes, throwing them into the hamper and walked into his bathroom.

---

Jiang Cheng was playing a game when his phone suddenly rang. He looked at the caller ID with surprise. Why would he be calling him? Shrugging, he picked up the call.

 JC : Lan Wangji? Why are you calling me? Isn't Xian picking up his phone?
LWJ : Nah, I called you because I wanted to ask you something.
JC : *suspicious* ooookay...
LWJ : I want to know if Wei Ying's home yet?
JC : Uh.. he just came back some time ago. Why?
LWJ : What's he doing right now?
JC : Are you seriously asking me to spy on my brother?
LWJ : Yes.
JC : The fuck?
LWJ : It's nothing sinister, Jiang Cheng.
JC : And you're not going to elaborate further, are you?
LWJ : Nope.
JC : You know, if you hurt my brother in any way, I will find you and break your bones. I won't care that you're THE bad boy.
JC : When it comes to my brother, I won't take shit from anyone, not even you.
LWJ : And you think, you will win if you fight me?
JC : No...but I can promise you, you won't leave unscathed.
LWJ : *smirks* Good to know.

*awkward silence*

LWJ : So... what's he doing?
JC : Uh.. I-I think he's in the shower.
LWJ : Great!
JC : Wait! What are you planning?
LWJ : *ignores the question blatantly* 
LWJ : If you hear anything from his room, ignore it, no need to panic.
JC : You- Are you trying to break into our house??
LWJ : Well, you could always let me in through the front door, but I don't think he's kept his door unlocked while he showers.
JC : Seriously bro, WTF you up to?
LWJ : Just something to make Wei Ying smile. 
LWJ : I'm gonna hang up now. Ciao!
JC : Wha-

*dial tone*

"That jerk!!" Cheng muttered and out his phone down.

Soon after disconnecting the call, Lan Wangji walked to the side of the house that Wei Wuxian shared with Jiang Cheng. He looked up towards the two windows. The lights that shone from them gave away the owner of each room. He deduced that Jiang Cheng’s room must be the one with the psychedelic purple lighting while the other one with soft ambient light would be Wuxian’s. He made a quick decision and started to scale the wall to reach what he assumed was his bunny’s room.

He landed into the room with a soft thud and immediately stopped moving. He waited for a few minutes to see if Wuxian was alerted but when the sound of shower didn’t turn off, he breathed a sigh of relief.

He took a moment to look around. Wuxian’s room was white with soft pastel colours breaking the monotony every once in a while. He had a photo wall where pictures of him and his family and friends were clipped on strings and Wangji could see Wuxian’s life through the years. The room matched the other’s personality to the T. He quickly tore a piece of paper from a writing pad on his study table and scribbled a message while smiling to himself.

I hope you like the gift, Wei Ying.

He then placed it along with the note on his bedside table and walked back to the window. He looked back one last time before he jumped out.

---

Wuxian came out of the bathroom freshly showered. He wore his pajamas and then went out to make dinner. In the kitchen while he was cooking, he noticed Jiang Cheng giving him weird looks.

“You’re staring Chengcheng…”

“Uh… sorry. How was your day?”

Wuxian narrowed his eyes at the out of character behaviour. He stopped stirring the pot and looked at Cheng. “Are you seriously asking me that?”

Jiang Cheng rolled his eyes.

“What are you hiding?” Wuxian asked.

“Why would I be hiding something? Just cook the damn dinner so that we can eat. I’ll go set the table.”

“Fine, grumpy cat!”

They ate dinner in silence but Jiang Cheng still kept staring at him. Wuxian sighed, “Just spill it already!”

Jiang Cheng finally relented and asked, “Uh, is something missing from your room?”

“Why should something be missing?” Wuxian asked, suspicious.

“Umm... nothing… uh… just asking…” Cheng muttered.

Suddenly Wuxian’s eyes widened. “Did someone break into our home today? Oh my God! What was stolen? Did you call the insurance?”

“Ugghh!! Too many damn questions. And no… nothing was stolen…”

“Then why are asking me this weird question?”

“Nevermind. Just eat your damn dinner and go sleep.”

I guess I will just have to wait till morning to find out what Lan Wangji did in Wuxian’s room, Jiang Cheng thought to himself.

---

Back in his room, Wuxian looked around to see if something was missing. On the initial sweep he didn’t find anything amiss so he breathed a sigh of relief and jumped on his bed, finally ready to sleep. He extended his hand to switch the bedside lamp off when he finally noticed it. The tiny bike model he had wanted to buy the other day.

He sat up with a start and picked the bike up, his fingers running through each detail. How did this end up here? If I remember, it wasn’t for sale, then… He looked at the bedside table again and that’s when he noticed the yellow post-it. He picked it up, fingers trembling slightly.

Wei Ying, I want to ask you something, but I want to do it in person. Would you please come to the club I was talking about the other day? I sent the location to your phone already.
I'll be waiting for you.
P.S : I hope you like the gift.