39

LXC: Wangji, I need your help
LWJ: Hello to you too brother. I won’t agree until I know what it is.
LXC: Smartass! But this is serious. It’s about Sang’s accident.
LWJ: Oh?
LXC: You remember that kid, Xue Yang from the party?
LWJ: Maybe. Why?
LXC: Apparently he is an eye witness in the case. But he didn’t see much. I want you to keep this hush-hush until we find something more.
LWJ: Aye aye bro 👌🏻
LXC: So, the boy saw a couple in the car. The man was wearing a red varsity jacket from your university.
LWJ: The fuck? A lot of bikers and jocks wear it. How’re we supposed to find this person?
LXC: That’s where you come in little brother.
LWJ: I don’t like where this is going..😑
LXC: Oh come-on! This is progress...
LXC: I just want you to go to the next race and talk to people. Keep your ears and eyes open for anything suspicious.
LWJ: Somehow I get the feeling 😩 *sigh* Can I take Wei Ying with me?
LXC: You know very well if he goes, you won’t be concentrating on investigating but rather on him. A few hours, Wangji. Just go and see if you can get me some info.
LWJ: I am already hating this.😩
LXC: But you get to win the race. So, that’s a plus.🤷🏻♂️
LWJ:  I always win.
LWJ : Fine, I’ll do it.
LXC: Thanks, Wangji.😘
LWJ: You owe me brother.😑
LXC: Yeah, yeah, I know.

“Wei Ying, it’s just a couple hours. I’m sorry we’ve to cut our date short.”
“It’s alright, Lan Zhan. This is important too. I understand, but I just wish I could go with you…”
“Is it because you want to see the race or you want to keep the girls away from me?”
Wuxian winced. “Fine, you caught me. Make sure the girls stay away. I can be possessive too, you know?”
“I know and I love it…”
Wangji kissed Wuxian, pressing him against the bike and then reluctantly let go.
“I have to go now.”
“Come meet me afterwards?” Wuxian asked.
“Of course!” He said as he got on his bike and roared off, waving goodbye.

-----

He was in his element. This was what he was good at. Taking his helmet off and shook his hair out, stretching to get back the feeling on his now sore back. The race was over and he was obviously the winner.
Usually Lan Wangji left almost immediately after the race but tonight he stayed back, making small talk with people he knew in passing. He kept an ear out for any suspicious conversation, as he made the rounds, but he heard nothing interesting and he was getting bored. Patience was not one of his strong points, he would rather face the problem head on than take a longer lawful route. That was his brother’s area of expertise, not his.
“Wangji..?” A hand snaked around his torso, the action too familiar to him. He winced and quickly got out of the other’s embrace.
“Qin Su..” He nodded, curtly.
“Have we drifted so much that we have become strangers now?” She asked, eyes glistening with unshed tears. Wangji soon realised she was piss drunk.
“We were never really close except in bed, Su, so no point in trying to make me feel guilty.”
“I wasn’t… not on purpose. I just miss you so much.” She said in a small voice, lips trembling, as if one wrong word and she would burst out in tears.
Wangji sighed, internally. “Su, I am with someone else now. So this…” he indicated the space between the both of them, “can never happen.”
A tear escaped her eyes as she sniffled. “Is he better in bed than I am?”
“It's none of your business.”
“After everything I did for you, this is how you throw me away? We were so good together, Wangji.”
“Su, you knew very well that you and I were never meant to be. I had told you from the get go that I had zero expectations from our arrangement. And please, do not question my intelligence by saying that you were unaware of this from the beginning.”
“No… I was just stupid to think that in time you could come to love me. How wrong I was...”
She was openly crying now and even though Wangji didn’t have any feelings for the girl he did feel pity. People around them were starting to take notice and Wangji hated it.
“Maybe if you had not lied and told everyone that I was about to propose to you, we might still be friends…” he paused and then shook his head, “Uh...on second thoughts, I don’t think we would be friends, my bunny is extremely possessive and he wouldn’t have liked you around me.” Wangji ran his fingers through his hair in frustration. “I am sorry Su, and don’t take this personally, but I wish you would change your ways. That way maybe someone would really fall in love with you.”
All of a sudden Qin Su threw her arms around him and started sobbing.
“Wangji, please don’t leave me. What is it that Wei Wuxian has that I don’t?”
A dick , he chuckled internally but refrained from voicing his thoughts. He tried untangling her arms from around him which now held onto him like a vice.
“Su, please let me go.” He tried wriggling out as gently as possible, but to no avail. Finally he shoved her hard, making her stumble but he caught her at the last second. He had never physically hurt a woman and he was not about to start now.
“Qin Su…” Wangji sighed.
“Can you atleast drop me home?” she asked, looking at him pitifully.
Wangji didn’t want anything to do with her but he thought at least he owed her this much, so he agreed.
Qin Su smiled as he walked with her to his bike.
“Get on,” Wangji said.
“Thanks, Wangji.”
“Yeah whatever. This is never going to happen again.”

By the time he had reached her home, Qin Su had wrapped her arms around him and promptly fallen asleep. He had to hold her arm on the way so as not to let her fall off the bike. He wanted this over with quickly.
As the rumble of the bike ceased, she woke up from her drunken stupor and managed to get off the bike, stumbling.
“Can you go up on your own?” Wangji didn’t have any intention of walking her to her door but his upbringing demanded otherwise.
She showed him a thumbs up and turned to leave only to fall down.
Wangji rolled his eyes at her decrepit self. He got off the bike, picked her up and tried to make her stand on her feet. Seeing that she was completely out of it, he sighed and picked her up, princess style and walked up to her apartment.
“Keys?”
“In my purse,” she mumbled, sleepily.
After two trials he found her keys and then unlocked the door. Walking in, he walked straight to her bedroom, depositing her on it without ceremony. He was almost at the door when he heard her call out.
“Wangji, can you give me a call, I seem to have misplaced my cell phone..”
Can this night get any worse?
He walked back to the bedroom. “I don’t have your number saved anymore.” He shrugged, nonchalantly, earning a sorrowful expression from her.
“Here, give yourself a call.” He handed her his phone, unlocking it as she slowly typed in her number or tried to since she couldn’t remember it herself. Finally she got it right and put the phone to her ears.
“Hungry…” she mumbled, pouting.
Wangji rolled his eyes, not hiding his displeasure at being ordered around. He knew this place like the back of his hand, that’s how many times he had come here looking for a hot tumble between the sheets, so he obliged and walked to the kitchen to get her some food.
“There’s only ramen…” he shouted back.
“Oooo ramen!” she giggled, loudly.
He thought he heard his phone ring but then no other sound came, so he chalked it up to his imagination and prepared the ramen as fast as he could. He wanted to go back to his bunny.

-----

QS: *whispering* Hello?
WWX: *confused* Uh, who’s this?
QS: You called and now you ask who I am? I am Wangji’s girlfriend, Qin Su, and you are?
WWX: *silence*
QS: Hello? Are you still there? Listen, he is in the shower right now, so I will let him know he got a call OK?
WWX: Don’t bother.
*Dial tone*

She replaced the phone on the nightstand after deleting the call log as Wangji walked in with a bowl of steaming ramen. “Here you go. I will leave now.” He pocketed his phone and left.
After she heard the front door slam shut, all traces of sadness and drunkenness were replaced by an evil calculating smile.
If I can’t get him, Wei Wuxian, I’ll make sure you can’t have him either. You’ll regret the day you tried to snatch what’s mine!
She took her phone out from her purse and texted.

QS: The plan has begun.
JZ: Good.
QS: I hope you took good pictures.💅🏻
JZ: You can see it yourself. They're already doing rounds on twitter.
QS: Great! Now we wait. I'm sure Wei Wuxian will throw a fit. 
QS: You should've heard the way he just cut the call. I almost laughed out loud.
JZ: You’re one crazy bitch
QS: Not gonna deny..
QS: Baby? Are you ready for the next part of the plan?
SS: Do I really have to get involved?
QS: Will you help me out or not?
SS: It’s Lan Wangji for fuck's sake. Do you both even realise that if he finds out, he will go completely berserk?
JZ: We will cross the bridge when we come to it. For now Su She, keep an eye out for Wei Wuxian and keep me posted about the location.
SS: I hate this...
SS: Oh… I don’t have to stake out anymore. Wei Wuxian just walked out and hailed a cab. Gotta go.

Wei Wuxian was stunned. He had not wanted to believe the pictures that he saw online but after he called Wangji and Qin Su picked up, his heart broke.
How could you, Lan Zhan? How could you? You asked me to trust you but you go behind my back and… He couldn’t finish that thought. He gagged every time he thought about Wangji together with that woman.
He needed to get out. He needed to do something or he would go crazy. The pain was unbearable.
Always the one to think rationally before taking even the tiniest decision, this was the first time Wei Wuxian had let his emotions take the front seat. His gut told him to wait for Lan Wangji to explain everything to him but the feeling of betrayal had completely taken over all his feelings. So much so that he could almost taste the bitterness of it in his mouth.
He walked out of the house in a daze, feeling numbness creep into his very bones. He just needed to go for a walk, that is what he told himself. But he ended up at the playground near the UNI. He didn’t know how but that’s where he ended up. Sitting on a lonely swing he let his thoughts come forth. The pain, the hurt, the betrayal…

NHS: Xian? I- I just saw the pictures, are you OK?
WN: What pictures?
JC: The one where that bastard is hugging his girlfriend.
NHS: Chengcheng.. We don’t know his side of the story, let’s not jump to conclusions based on some online pictures, OK?
WN: Oh, I just saw… Xian, please trust Lan Wangji. From what I’ve heard from jie, he’s not a cheater.
JC: Fucking bastard what the fuck was he doing with her anyway?
NHS: For all we know these pictures can be from before, right?
WWX: They…they are from tonight.
NHS: How do you know?
WWX: Because he met me before he went out.
WN: Xian, don’t you trust him?
WWX: I don’t know. At this moment, I don't know what to think
NHS: B, it’s not like you to run away from your own feelings. I still suggest you let him explain things?
WWX: And what if he comes back and tells me he made a mistake choosing me? What if he chooses her instead? She’s so pretty and popular and I am… I am just me.
JC: Don’t you dare put yourself down like this Xian. You know anyone would be lucky to have you and if he can’t see that then it will be his loss.
NHS: Cheng is right, Xian. Talk to him OK? Just talk. You know what happened between me and Cheng was because we didn’t communicate our feelings properly, right? And if I had not been in the accident, we would still be like that. What if I had died?
JC: Sang…
NHS: No.. seriously.. What if I had died? Cheng would have had to live with the regret of never telling me his feelings. You don’t want that Xian. Don’t live with regrets.
WWX: I need time guys.. I know I am being childish.. But I need time to process all this.
WN: We get it, Xian. Take all the time you need. We’re here for you, Alright?
JC: What he said
NHS: Seconded.
WWX: Thanks, guys

He was just about to pocket his phone when it rang. Looking at the screen, he felt his heart constricted and tears start falling down his face.

Incoming call.

Lan Zhan.

He let it ring until it died down. And then it rang again, and again and again.

LWJ: Wei Ying.. Please pick up the call.
LWJ: Don’t do this Wei Ying.
LWJ: Talk to me. Please.
LWJ: Bunny, I am coming to you.