53

Mrs. Bicao had escorted Su She to a black car. They were driven to an empty apartment in another part of the city.
"Why did you bring me here?"
"It's safer. And you should stay low for the next few days." The older woman’s reply was curt and to the point. She sensed something was off in this case. But she wouldn't ask. She was asked to just bail this man out and that was it. Her job was done.
“Stay here until you’re contacted. Do not do anything stupid. Because I am not sure we can save your ass every time you fuck up.” She nodded at him and left immediately.

----

"You stupid fuck! I told you to fix that bumper ASAP but you went ahead and got high! How could you get caught with drugs on your person? Have you fucking lost your marbles? I swear to god… " Jin Zixun yelled at Su She, while the latter paid no attention to him.
Instead he looked at the other person in the room.
"Why didn't you answer my calls?"
Qin Su, ever the temptress, only smiled.
"I called someone to save you, didn't I?" She gave him the languid seductive smile that she knew he wouldn't be able to refuse.
"That's because it's within your interest to save me too, wouldn't wanna get indicted for the accident that we were involved in, right?"
Qin Su just shrugged and flicked the ash from her cigarette off.
"Potayto, potahto."
Su She was livid, but he knew he couldn't do anything. Not while he was still in the spotlight.
Jin Zixun had managed to calm down but the end of the couple’s conversation. He nursed his drink while he looked at them.
"I have some news by the way.” Jin Zixun stood up and filled his glass with more alcohol, “I heard from the grapevine that someone tattled on you." He sneered. "And I found out who he is." He drank the alcohol swiftly. "Wanna take care of it?"
Su She wanted to say no. He really did. But he had somehow lost his ability to take any decisions now. His thoughts were all muddled. He scratched at the itch at the back of his neck again and then held his head, wincing in pain. “My head is throbbing. Give me something to take the edge off.”
Jin Zixun shrugged and fetched the packet from inside a pocket hidden inside his jacket.
“Here you go.”

-----

They waited inside the dark alley, both high on liquid courage and a sniff of the white powder to make them feel invisible. Su She's hands were twitching so bad and all he saw was red after he rewound all that was happening to him. The injustice, the pain of losing to the King, the woman that never liked him back, the accident, everything built up to this pent-up frustration and he needed a release.
Jin Zixun on the other hand, treated this just as one of his amusements. He was just along for the ride. He always got a heady feeling of bullying people. This was what he was good at. Making others feel like trash. He rubbed his hands together in anticipation. He flicked his lighter to light up his cigarette, and blew the smoke to Su She's face.
"The fuck?"
Su She was already teetering on the edge, almost blew up right then and there, when they heard footsteps approaching.
“Shhh… he’s here.” Zixun said, dropping his cigarette and tamping it down with his foot.
They quieted at once and hid in the shadows before suddenly grabbing the one they'd been waiting for and dragged him further away to the darker part of the alley.

----

He needed to take a break, which was why he found himself outside in the crisp night air. He breathed deeply and then stretched. On a whim he quickly took out his phone and called Xichen and Mingjue. He just wanted to hear their voice before he went back in and turned in for the night.
He had a big show coming up the next day. Xichen and Mingjue were of course invited to the show but his practice schedules were so gruelling that he had not had a chance to meet his lovers in almost a week. It frustrated him but he was still so grateful to have their love and support. He checked his twitter and saw the string of Best of luck messages from the people who had now become his family.
I really am lucky. He thought to himself for the umpteenth time, a smile involuntarily etched on his lips.
The phone rang for a few times but no one picked up. He checked the watch on his wrist and then slapped a hand on his forehead. It was past midnight. They must have already fallen asleep.
He quickly sent out a text telling them he missed them and then walked to the convenience store near his house where Xue Yang also happened to work. He made it a habit to go to that place often now. He had taken a liking to the boy and always bought him and the children candy whenever possible. He smiled as he imagined their excited expressions.
As he entered the store, he looked around for the teen but when he didn’t see him, he shrugged and bought the candy nevertheless. He would give it to them tomorrow after the show. Paying for all that he needed, he walked out and was just about to leave when he heard a pained sound from the dark alley beside the store.
Every sense of his being told him to run the opposite way, but unfortunately, he had the softest heart that sometimes betrayed his instinct. He wondered if it was a small animal that was hurting, or maybe an unfortunate someone. So, against his better judgement he made his way towards the sound.