55

The funeral was held precisely seven days after Jin Guangyao, now Meng Yao, was pronounced dead. It had quite the turnover because Meng Yao was loved by everyone he ever had contact with. Well except his own family because god knows they were a bunch of assholes who didn’t deserve him in the first place.
Somehow some of the Jins even came to the funeral though the boys hated their very presence.
It seemed like Jin Zixuan was the only one who sort of grieved. He looked somber in his dark suit and shades that hid his eyes.
The others, Jin Zixun and Qin Su were there just to save face.
They were dressed in vibrant colours as if they had come to a party.
It irked everyone else but they couldn’t do anything about it.

Meng Yao was cremated, and his ashes would be scattered in the sea, because he had always wanted to someday travel around the world.
They were almost at the end of the simple blessing by the Daoist, when Yanli needed to go to the restroom. The baby was starting to move around so she had to go to relieve her bladder ever so often right now. Qing asked if she needed to come but Yanli said it was okay, she'd be back before she knew it.
Qing nodded and she continued conversing with Lan Wangji and Wei Wuxian.
Yanli walked quickly to the restroom around the corner, and she turned… to bump into someone who just got out from the restroom. She almost fell but the other person grabbed her arms to prevent her from falling backward.
"Ah, I'm sorry, I didn't see you there… Zixuan." She tensed immediately. "Why are you here?" She moved out of his hold.
"Yanli. Nice to meet you." He gave her a once over and his gaze stopped at her bulging stomach. Not too obvious yet, but for someone with a keen eye like Jin Zixuan, nothing would escape his observation. "Wait… Yanli. Are you… are you pregnant?"
Yanli didn't bother to answer him, she walked over to the restroom, her bladder was killing her.
She took her sweet time inside the restroom, thinking that Zixuan must be gone by now. He was never one to wait for anyone. Ever.
She walked outside. To find Zixuan was still waiting in front of the restroom, and he looked… nervous.
"Yanli." He said when he saw Yanli come out of the door. "Can we please talk?"
"No, we don't. You ditched me, and I've moved on. End of story." She walked briskly past Zixuan, but he held her arm.
"Please, Yanli. We-I need to talk to you…"
There was an edge on Zixuan's voice that Yanli never heard before, so she gave him the benefit of a doubt, and faced him.
"Fine. Talk." She pulled her arm from his grasp, and crossed it in front of her body, making the bulge more prominent.
"I-I would like to say that I'm sorry." Small beads of perspiration dotted his forehead, and it was obvious that he had never said those words to anyone before. It came out sounding so strange from his choked voice.
"Ok. Apology accepted. Are we done?" She turned around to walk away when Zixuan stopped her again.
"Wait!" He grasped her arm and was rewarded by the coldest glare he ever saw coming from Yanli. She was always a warm, smiling person for as long as he knew her.
He let go of her.
"Well, Jin Zixuan, people change." He didn't realize that he voiced his thoughts out loud until he looked up to see her still glaring at him. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean it like that. But please, may I ask you a question?"
"If you want to know if this is your child, then yes, it is. Don't worry, I won't ask for any child support from you. I don't want anything to do with the Jins as it is, and I won't be bothering you anymore. Good day."
"Yanli, can you please hear me out before you leave?"
She heard the pleading in his voice, so, for the sake of the child, her child, she would be the better person.
"You have 10 seconds. 9. 8."
"May I be a part of the kid's life? I know I treated you badly, but I know that I was wrong now, especially with Yao…" his voice faltered, and Yanli could see his eyes were glistening with tears.
She was just about to answer when she heard the familiar voice of her brother.
"What's going on here?"
Wei Wuxian appeared from behind her and quickly shielded her from Jin Zixuan.
"What do you want with my sister? Wasn't it enough that you broke her heart? Now you went and stalked her? Shameless."
Wei Wuxian pulled Yanli to his side gently. “Jie, you alright?” He asked in a soothing voice and when he saw Yanli nod, he felt relief.
Obviously wherever Wuxian was, Lan Wangji was always a step behind. So, now Jin Zixuan faced the devil himself. An opponent he did not wish to enrage.
"What's going on here?" Lan Wangji repeated the question that Wei Wuxian had just asked.
"Boys, it's okay. We were just talking." Yanli put her hand on Wuxian, to prevent him from doing something stupid like punching Jin Zixuan. She looked at Lan Wangji and he gave her an imperceptible nod.
"Wei Ying, come. I'm sure Li-jie will be fine, won't you jie?" He talked to Yanli but his eyes threw daggers at Zixuan, who only nodded.
"We'll be just around the corner, jie." Wuxian was reluctant to go, but they would be close by if anything happened.
After they left, Zixuan looked at Yanli who still hadn’t responded to his question. "So…?" he asked, his voice small, as he tried to pick up the conversation from before they were interrupted.
"I will need to think about that, Zixuan. It's the best I can do right now, given the circumstances." Yanli turned around to go back to her friends, and left Jin Zixuan standing there looking forlornly at her retreating back. Yanli had really changed. From the meek girl he had dated back in college to this confident woman he saw now.
He was proud of her but he cursed himself for treating her like shit. He was in the middle of thinking, how to convince Yanli to let him be a part of the baby’s life when a young man approached him.
"Uhm, Mr. Jin Zixuan?" He asked carefully, as if contemplating whether to continue talking or not.
Jin Zixuan quickly composed himself, and gave the stranger his business smile, which did not reach his eyes. But something about this young man felt strangely familiar. Maybe it was the eyes that were too much like his or the barely-there smile that reminded him of Yao.
"Yes, can I help you, Mr…?"
"I'm Mo Xuanyu, Mr. Jin, and I think we need to talk."

----

Wangji, Wuxian and Yanli walked out to find Mingjue being held back by Xichen as he struggled to get free while the bastard Zixun sneered at him. They walked faster to catch the tail-end of the quarrel.
“How dare you say shit like that? You really are fucking bastards! Fuck!” Mingjue spat.
“Listen, I don’t give a shit about what you think of me, OK?” Zixun looked anything but repentant. “And the bastard was Yao, not me,” he sneered, uglily.
“I would suggest you leave immediately and not create a scene here.” Xichen grounded out.
“You have no right to make us leave, we are his family while you… I don’t know what you’re!” Zixun said, unperturbed by the growing annoyance within the group. He was sure, his Jin status could save him from any problems.
By this point Wangji and Wuxian had reached the group and put themselves between them and Zixun. Wangji angled his body in a way to protect Wuxian. Both Zixun and Qin Su paled a little. They looked a little wary of Wangji’s stance, all ready to fight.
Wuxian sighed. “Zixun, just leave. What are you getting from riling up so many people, huh? I mean I know you’re a fucking bully but even you should have the basic decency to tone it down at someone’s funeral, your cousin’s nevertheless.”
Zixun always thought that he was a mighty Jin. Of course, a ‘nobody’ like Wei Wuxian was nothing in front of him. For a moment he forgot that Wangji was present and sneered at Wuxian instead. “How dare you talk to me, you piece of shit faggot!”
And that was all it took. Before anyone could even move a finger, Wangji had covered the short distance between them and punched Zixun right in the solar plexus. Then followed it up with an upper-cut so smooth that Wuxian thought even Bruce Lee would be proud but of course that was his biased thinking.
Zixun fell down on the ground, howling in pain. His nose was bleeding and a few teeth looked loose after that upper-cut.
Wangji lifted him up by the collar, dangling him a few inches above the ground. “Apologize.” That one word, spoken low, sent shivers down Zixun’s spine.
Zixuan came back then followed by a young man. He looked from Wangji to Zixun and deduced the situation in no time.
Looking straight at his cousin, he spoke threateningly, “Zixun. You better apologize. If you create any more problems here, I am going to have to talk to dad about it. Let’s see how you fare then huh? And Qin Su, really? I thought you were better than this, but I guess not.”
He turned towards the group and bowed. “I am sorry on behalf of them. Li, please do think about what I asked. I would be really grateful if you gave me a chance.” He bowed again, turned around and left with the young man trailing behind him.
“What was that about?” Qing asked Yanli, her voice low enough for only her to catch.
“I will explain later.” Yanli said as she laid a reassuring hand over her girlfriend’s.
Wangji tilted his head as if considering what to do with Zixun. “I didn’t hear the apology yet.” he said without any infliction in his voice.
Zixun knew he would end up in the hospital like that kid or worse end up dead like Jin Guangyao if he didn’t say sorry so that’s what he did, though it didn’t sound sincere at all.
Wangji had had enough with the slimy bastard so he slammed him on the ground as the last warning. “You open that filthy mouth of yours one more time, I will rip your tongue out.” He turned around, walked to Wuxian and pulled him beside him by the waist, nuzzling his neck.
Zixun and Qin Su left immediately, Zixun limping slightly.
“They might press charges,” Mingjue said even as he looked proud of Wangji.
Don’t worry about it. Even if they do, I got this.” Xichen said. He was raring to put these people behind bars.
Qin Su felt like shit.
It was the nth time that she had puked her guts out, and she hated that. After the 3rd time she just dry heaved because there wasn’t anything coming out anymore. She laid there on her bed, totally wiped out.
Fuck! What did I eat to be feeling like this? Uggh!! If this continues, I guess I will have to make a trip to the hospital. Goddammit! This stupid stomach flu is pissing me off.
She texted Zixun to get her some medicines from the pharmacy. While she waited, she surfed through the TV channels and suddenly a test kit ad started playing.
“What are the chances?” She wondered aloud.
She called Zixun again.
JZ: For fucksake. Why do you keep calling me constantly? Don’t you have any other lackeys to come to you? Fuck, woman! I am already running this stupid errand for your sorry ass.
QS: Stop barking and listen. Are you still at the pharmacy?
JZ: On my way. Why?
QS: Get me a test kit as well, will you?
JZ: A test kit? You mean a pregnancy test kit?
QS: Yes, that! Get me one.
JZ: Fuck! Are you kidding me right now?
QS: Do you think I am in the mood to joke? Just get me the damn thing!
JZ: Fine! This is just so annoying.
When Zixun gave her the test pack smirking, she felt something different altogether. It was an outer body experience as she walked into the en suite while Zixun waited outside.
With bated breath she waited for the result.