48

Lan Xichen disconnected the call with a smile on his face. He was happy for his brother truly happy but then he suddenly remembered why he had called. The smile vanished in an instant.

He hoped to God that Su She didn’t have anything to do with the accident but the evidence will have to speak for itself.

He walked back to the meeting and wrapped it up soon. Walking out of the meeting room, he quickly made his way to his office, gathered his papers into his briefcase and walked out to the parking while dialing Wen Chao to let him know he would be visiting his garage tonight.

He then called Wen Zhuliu to ask him to meet him at Wen Chao’s garage. He wasn’t sure how Zhuliu would react to his cousin being involved in this shit even though just as a testifier but he would take care of that later. For now finding the truth took precedence over all personal matters.

---

Xichen arrived at Wen Chao's garage not long after, and saw Wen Chao already waiting outside. As soon as Xichen got out of his car, he signaled him to follow him to the back, where he kept the car untouched.

"Xichen-ge. This is the car. The owner left about an hour ago and he told me to call him when it's done. He paid me double to keep this between us." He showed him a black SUV, with a dented front grill, and traces of blood on the underside.

Xichen took photos with his phone, as evidence, when he heard the commotion in front of the garage. Wen Chao’s eyes widened when he saw who it was that had come in.

“Zhuliu-ge.” Chao looked nervous.

“How did you get involved in this?”

“Zhuliu, cut the kid some slack, yeah? He just informed Wangji about the blood he found. Nothing else.”

“He has a child on the way, Xichen. I mean, getting involved in police work is troublesome.”

“I know. We will try to make it as easy as possible. I will take care of all the paperwork. You guys trust me right?”

The cousins nodded.

"Wen Chao, don’t be nervous. And I'm really sorry for the inconvenience."

"Not a problem, Xichen-ge, I am always glad to help a friend. Especially if it involves a hit and run." His eyes grew dark.

There must be some kind of story there. But Xichen didn't press. It wasn't his place to ask.

He thought about something, then crouched down and tried to look under the car.

"Zhuliu. Come and take a look at this." He turned on his flashlight and shone it under the car. "There were traces of old blood. You may want to take a closer look. If my instinct is right… " he flipped his flashlight off, and stood up.

Zhuliu signaled one of the police to lock the car down.

"Since it is this late at night, we can only get a warrant tomorrow in the morning to search this guy’s place.” Zhuliu said as he typed something on his phone. He then looked up at Xichen, “From what you said, he’s still in uni?”

“Yeah” Xichen nodded and without turning asked, “How do you know him Chao?”

Wen Chao who was trying to tip-toe out of the conversation, snapped his head in attention. “Uh, we used to be classmates and then when I dropped out and opened the garage, he became one of my regulars.”

“Has he been in trouble before?” Zhuliu asked.

“Not that I know of..” Chao shrugged.

“Hmm.. It looks troublesome. Go do your work now. We'll take it from here.”

“Sure, Zhuliu-ge. I will be seeing you both.” Chao bowed and left immediately.

“Xi, that kid, Xue Yang, he mentioned a female as well.”

“Yes, and I do have my suspicions but I will need to find out more before we do anything. Till then get the owner of this car to talk.” Xichen inclined his head towards the car.

“Since now we know they are just uni kids, this is gonna get ugly, you know that, right?"

Xichen only sighed heavily.