56

The minute she saw that double strips, her world turned upside down.
She didn’t know how long she sat on her bathroom floor until she heard a knocking on her door.
She got up on auto-pilot and opened the door to find Zixun standing there with his fist up in the air as if to bang the door again.
Looking at her ashen face, he pulled his hand down and frowned.
“What? It came back negative?”
She shook her head.
“Then why are you shocked, bitch? This is good news!”
She snapped out of her daze as he whirled around to face him, face contorted in fury. “Good news? How the fuck is this good news? I am pregnant you stupid shit!”
“Exactly! You’re pregnant! And that good news.”
“Are you even listening to yourself? How does getting pregnant make good news? You’re not making any damn sense, Zixun!”
“Hear me out, OK? This child. Do you know whose it is?”
She thought about it but then shook her head. “No… How could I know?”
“Well, it can your fuck buddy Su She’s or your obsession Lan Wangji’s, right?”
“It can be Su She’s or Wangji’s” She repeated like a parrot. Then her eyes widened as realisation hit her. “It can be Wangji’s!” She screeched.
“I see your dumb brain finally caught on?” Zixun laughed. “This is amazing! You will get what you want and I… I will get my revenge by putting that faggot nerd in his place.”
“Wangji will be mine! Finally! He can’t run away from this. He will have to take responsibility.”
“But you can’t just run to him yourself, cousin.” Zixun said. “You will need to pressure the Lans into submission. Get uncle on your side and make him talk to Qiren. Qiren will make sure the Lan brothers keep up their end of the bargain.”
“You’re brilliant, Zixun! Just brilliant!” She ran into her father's office without waiting to knock.

----

Jin Guangshan was in the middle of almost fucking his newest secretary, a big bosomed beauty with mile long legs when his daughter barged into his office unannounced and told him that she was pregnant.
He was livid to say the least. Not only had she interrupted his happy time, she also ended up ruining the mood completely with her declaration. He knew his daughter was whoring herself out there, but at least she should have known how to protect herself. She was a Jin after all and they had a reputation to keep.
He zipped himself up, told the bosomed secretary to go out and then walked towards his daughter who was looking at him expectantly, as if waiting for a reward. He stood tall in front of her, before slapping her so hard she fell down on the floor.
She gasped, and a single drop of blood oozed out of her cut lip.
"You whore. I thought you knew better than to get pregnant by some hooligans. Get rid of it." He was tempted to smack some sense into his daughter.
"Don't you want to know who the father of the baby is before you tell me to get rid of it?" She had a gleam in her eyes, making Jin Guangshan wonder if she did this on purpose.
"Lan Wangji."
Jin Guangshan's mind worked a mile a minute when he heard that name. It seemed that his daughter was not as useless as he thought she'd be. Finally a smile could be seen on his thin lips.
"In that case, great job. Does he know?" He wasn't that angry anymore but he didn't make a move to help his daughter up.
Qin Su helped herself up and sat on one of the oversized chairs.
"Not yet. And seeing now he has a boyfriend…" the word boyfriend came out from her mouth like a venomous dart. "I don't think he will admit this kid is his, not unless you put pressure on his brother and uncle."
"Clever minx. I'll see what I can do. Now get out and don't come to my office without my permission again."
She got up and walked out without another word.
The next thing Jin Guangshan did after gloating for another minute was call Lan Qiren.

----

Lan Xichen was still in a heavy mourning period when his uncle called him.
Lan Qiren never called unless it was their scheduled once a week report and their monthly family dinner, so he frowned when he saw the caller ID.
And he frowned some more when he heard the reason why his uncle called.
"I will take care of that uncle, don't worry."
After he hung up, he threw his phone hard across his desk where it crashed against the wall but thankfully didn’t shatter into pieces.
Rubbing his face in frustration, he got up from his desk, retrieved his phone and saw the spider web cracks on the screen. He would have to replace the phone soon, he supposed. Then he called Wangji.

----

"She WHAT???" Lan Wangji yelled into the phone, not believing the words from his brother. "The fuck, Ge? I never fucked her without protection. Ever!"
Wei Wuxian, who was sitting beside Wangji, flinched at the harsh words from his boyfriend.
"Rush the DNA test, Ge. She slept around all the time and I don't believe for a second that she's pregnant with my child."
"The last time? It was when I met Wei Ying, so… around 3 months ago."
"Yeah, yeah I know Ge, thanks for telling me this."
Just like Lan Xichen, Wangji slammed his phone on the wall as well but did not make any move to retrieve it.
Wuxian looked at him, concerned. "So…” he cleared his throat, “If I heard it right, Qin Su is pregnant and she claims you are the father?" He asked as calmly as possible, looking at his agitated boyfriend.
"Yeah, and Xichen already ordered the DNA test before he called me."
Suddenly Wangji got up from the couch and knelt down in front of Wei Wuxian, holding his hands in his trembling ones.
"You do trust me, right Wei Ying? I never slept with anyone since we started dating. I swear. Ever since you came into my life, I haven’t even looked at anyone else."
Wei Wuxian carded his fingers through Wangji’s hair as he, too, got down to Wangji’s level. He put his hand, palm down, on Wangji's heart, and listened to his heartbeats before he answered.
"I trust you, Lan Zhan. Nothing, or no one will come between us ever again."
“I love you, Wei Ying.” Wangji whispered as he hugged his boyfriend, emotions clogging his throat, preventing him from saying anything else.
“I love you, Lan Zhan.” Wuxian responded, the sincerity evident in his eyes.

----

"What? Lan Xichen asked for a DNA test?" Qin Su screamed at her father, earning her a warning glance. "What am I? A whore?"
"That's funny, coming out from your mouth." Jin Guangshan looked at her scrutinizingly. "Do you think I have no idea about you whoring around?"
"But… but, father…" she whined.
"Is there any possibility that the child isn't a Lan?"
Qin Su shut her mouth defiantly.
"I thought so. Just pray that it's a Lan… or else."

----

"Sup, cuz?"
Jin Zixun entered Qin Su's room which was now in shambles. In a fit of rage she had thrown things around, making the room look as if a tornado had wreaked havoc inside.
"What do you want??" She glared at him.
"Yo, easy… I came to ask you to go out partying? Got an invite from an old lay and she definitely wants to tap this again." He grabbed his crotch lewdly.
"Or she just wants freebies from you." She snarled.
"Whatever it is, I'm sure we can reach some kind of agreement. Wanna come? It's in your dad's hotel. We can sleep in the honeymoon suite after."
"Ew, with you? Even I have a standard."
"Bitch, I said sleep, not fuck."
"Fine. I need to get out of this house too. Book the suite."
"Aye aye, princess, just don't forget me if you're marrying into the Lans."
"As if you're not gonna remind me every second."

----

Xue Yang was lying in his hospital bed listlessly. His eyes were open but unseeing. Over the course of 2 weeks, his screaming had stopped but he still looked lost and desolate. He jumped at the slightest noise and they had to limit visits to him at the hospital.
Even though Jiang Yanli and Wen Qing came to visit him almost everyday. Qing had pulled some strings and had made sure that Xue Yang was cared for. He would still flinch away everytime they tried to touch him but they were happy for the little progress they had made. The only people who he allowed in his vicinity were the children. They were the only ones who made him forget about the pain.
When the children had first come in to see him, there had been worry written on their tiny little faces but they put up a brave face and didn’t cry. They did, however, hug him and let him feel the love those little hearts held for him. That night was the first night he had slept for more than a few hours without nightmares plaguing him.
The nurse had switched the TV on which droned in the background like white noise and sometimes Xue Yang’s eyes would stray towards it. It was one of those fleeting glances at the screen that he caught sight of a familiar face. Plastered on the screen on a little gossip channel was the face of the man he never wanted to see again. A face that was the reason for his nightmares, the reason he woke up screaming most nights.
His breath hitched as his eyes stared at the monitor. His mind went back to that dreadful night. The pain, the blood. Yao-ge. He felt the scream bubble up in his throat, he tried clamping his mouth shut but, in the end, his fear took over and he started screaming.
Yanli, who was peeling fruits for him, dropped her knife and rushed to his bedside, trying to calm him.
"A-Yang… A-Yang... breathe, sweetheart. It's okay, you're safe now. It's okay, I'm here…" she hugged the screaming Xue Yang and soothed him by making little circles on his back.
"Jie.. jie… it's him… it's… it's the man who hit me… I'm scared… jie… jie…" Xue Yang was in a trance as he repeated those words over and over again.
Yanli’s eyes snapped to the TV, and when she saw the person Xue Yang mentioned, she tightened her hold on him as a hard glint took over her eyes.
"Baby, it's fine. Jiejie is here. We're gonna catch the bad guy, okay? Trust me?"
It took a while for Xue Yang to finally stop screaming his lungs out. After he had calmed down, Yanli laid his head back on the pillow, while still half hugging him.
With her other hand, she pulled out her phone and dialed Xichen.
"You'll never believe what the little birdie told me just now. Switch your tv to our town’s gossip channel now. The face of the murderer is plastered on it."

----

"Zhuliu, I have news."
Xichen walked inside Zhuliu's office and closed the door.
"This is about the hit and run, and the…" he swallowed hard. "... killing."
Zhuliu looked at him for a few moments, then he pointed at the chair.
"Sit, I have news too, and I was just about to call you." He put down some papers he just held and picked up the phone. "I think it's better if I call Detective Song and Detective Xiao here, so I won't have to repeat it all."
Not a few minutes later, both detectives came. They saw Xichen and nodded.
"So, boys, I have DNA results here in my hand. All of the DNA results, including the baby." He opened the file in front of him.
"First thing first, Xichen, the baby is not Wangji's."
Xichen released the breath he didn't know he held.
"Secondly, the blood from the car came back positive to Nie Huaisang, and one more. From the old hit and run case. My cousin's wife, Jiaojiao"
Xichen snapped his head up.
"You mean, the car that hit Huaisang is the same one that hit her?"
Zhuliu nodded, then gave the files to the two detectives.
"Oh, by the way, the father of Qin Su's baby is none other than our suspect, Su Minshan."
"Fuck, this case is getting on my nerves. This is all so fucked up."
"I agree with you. This is really fucked up."

----

"Sir, we're going to request an arrest warrant for Su Minshan right now." Detective Song stood up and started to walk out when Zhuliu called him.
"Detective Song, please tell Cyber, we need the names of the previous owners of Su Minshan’s car. We may have something big here."
"Of course, Sir. Mr. Lan." He nodded to both of them, followed by Detective Xiao.
"You know what, Zhuliu, we need to wrap this case airtight. If what Yanli told me is true, then we really need all the proof we could get before we start accusing people."
"Yeah, don't I know it, Xi." He took a drag of his foul smelling cigarette, and wished for something stronger than the precinct coffee.
Both of them were quiet, thinking about distant memories, when a knock surprised them to the present.
"Captain Wen? I got the information you need." A young clerk knocked on Zhuliu's door and gave him a piece of paper.
"Thanks."
Zhuliu took the paper and read it. His eyes grew hard, then he gave the paper to Xichen.
His face looked like he was about to kill someone. "The car has never changed ownership since it was bought, and the sole owner of the car is none other than the young miss Jin aka Qin Su."
"I guess I had a feeling about this already." Xichen kneaded the space between his eyebrows. "So, we knew that the Jins, at least one of them, backed this Su Minshan up. I guess he was her plaything, and maybe, maybe, we can tie the drug case to Jin Zixun, since he was everywhere with her. What do you think?"
"A man like Su Minshan won't be able to procure those high grade drugs by himself, so we might as well consider every option. I like where you're going with the drugs and Jin Zixun."
"The way he almost attacked Wei Wuxian? And provoked Ming and Wangji? I bet he was high. I think if you searched him right there and then you would have found the drugs on him."
"Wait, I have a report of foreign DNA here in Meng Yao's injuries. The bastard must cut his knuckles from hitting him too much. Did you see his hands at the funeral though?"
"Yeah, it was bandaged quite heavily. You think it's him?"
"Let's find out."

----

The doorbell rang and Jin Zixun cursed because he was in the middle of snorting cocaine.
"The fuck? I told them I don't want to be disturbed!"
He didn't bother to hide anything, or check who was at the door before walking out to open it.
"Jin Zixun?" A couple of men, clearly plain-clothed police, and a few others were standing in front of his door. "We have a warrant for your arrest in suspicion of Meng Yao's death. This is the search warrant for your place." One of them signaled the uniformed police to come closer. "Cuff him."
"What? What? What are you talking about????" He was mad, and frightened. How could they find out about it?
"Oh, also, we need your DNA. And we have a warrant for that as well." The detective slapped another warrant on Zixun.
"I want my lawyer!!! Give me my damn lawyer you assholes!! Do you know who I am? Fuck, let me go!" He struggled mostly in fear and tried to punch one of the detectives, the weaker looking one, but he dodged it easily and slammed him on the wall, cuffing him roughly.
"That will add another charge of assaulting a police officer… asshole." He grabbed him and threw him to one of the cops. "Take him to the precinct."
They took him out, kicking and screaming, while Detective Song Lan looked at his partner.
"You okay, Xing?"
"Never better, Lanlan. Let's go tear this place up." He smiled.
What Jin Zixun didn't know was, the softer looking detective, Xiao Xingchen, was actually the more ruthless one between the two of them. He walked inside the apartment, putting on his gloves and saw the evidence straight away.
"That kid was snorting coke in the middle of the day...well, this is gonna be easy." He called the uniforms outside. "I want this place searched from top to bottom. No corners to be missed, understood? I want all the evidence bagged. Document everything, I don't want him to slip through any loopholes."

----

Jin Zixun created a ruckus all the way to the precinct, and when they put him inside one of the interrogation rooms, he demanded a lawyer and screamed like a madman.
Zhuliu and Xichen watched from the other side of the double mirror, shaking their heads in pity.
"Kids these days…" Zhuliu looked at Zixun in disgust. "So privileged, yet so stupid. Imagine what I could do if I was in his position. Rich, handsome, it's like the world was handed to him on a silver plate, yet he decided to throw it all away and waste it just like this."
"With a patriarch like Jin Guangshan? I'm not surprised." Xichen also pitied Zixun. "At least Wangji and I turned out fine despite all the temptation."
"Yeah, you got a point there. It's about each person's character. And I guess this one's very weak."
"Bicao is coming?"
"He called her, but there's no sign of her yet."
"What about the DNA? We got his?"
"On process. Shouldn't be long now."
"So now we wait. Let him stew in there for a bit first."
Qin Su was on her way to Zixun's apartment when she saw all the commotion outside of it.
She froze, but quickly called someone.
"Babe, you gotta run, the police are coming for you, just RUN!"
Then she called Mrs. Bicao.
"Mrs. Bicao, we have a situation here and I need your help."
"If this is about Zixun, I'm already on my way to the precinct."
"Yes, and thank you."
"No need to thank me. You’re paying me, remember?"

----

Su She had been in hiding ever since he got bailed out. But now after getting the call from Qin Su, panic was starting to set into his bones making him shiver from head to toe. He was still in the same apartment, the one that belonged to Zixun. It had been almost 2 weeks now and he felt the walls were closing in on him every single minute he was inside.
So, when he found out that Zixun had been arrested by the police, his sanity snapped.
He took the key to his motorbike, and ran outside.
Anywhere but here, I'm sick and tired of you all. He thought to himself, revving the bike a few times before he tore through the parking lot. He had no destination in mind but he had gotten his wallet full of cash, a credit card to his name and the last of the stash before he had dashed out. He figured he would be able to survive a few days on those alone. He would be back when things settled down a bit. For now, he needed to get out.

----

Qin Su went back to her house when she saw her father's buxom secretary lounging in the family room. She scrunched her nose in disgust and tried to avoid her and walk away, when she heard the fake honeyed voice of the woman behind her.
"Oh SuSu… your father has been waiting for you… you need to go see him now." The smile, so fake that it made Qin Su shiver.
But Qin Su ignored her, continuing to walk upstairs to her room but long manicured nails dug into her arms, keeping her in place.
"I said, your father wants to see you NOW."
There was a chill in her voice that made Qin Su wary.
She jerked her arms away from her and reluctantly walked to her father's office without saying another word.
She remembered to knock first before she entered. That slap still hurt.
"Come in."
"You called for me, father?" Qin Su walked inside her father's office and found him sitting on the couch rather than his usual behind the desk chair.
"I was told by Lan Xichen today that the DNA test results are out." He didn't even tell Qin Su to sit. "And guess what the result was?"
"...I don't know father... it is Wangji's, right? It has to be him."
"You question me? You should have questioned yourself first, whore." He stood up and walked to his desk.
Qin Su had a feeling if this was Lan Wangji's kid, her father wouldn't be in this much rage.
"So, it's not Wangji's kid?" Her face paled, even as she asked in a small voice.
"Congratulations, you are now officially not a Jin anymore. Pack your bag and get the hell out of my house."
"What? Father! Where should I go?? Please give me another chance!"
"You know what? I don't give a shit. You can hole up with whoever you fucked. Oh btw, I know you got Bicao to help you get that shitty lover of yours bailed out. You didn’t think you could hide such things from me, did you?"
“I-” She started to speak but Jin Guangshan cut her off.
"I knew about the girl you hit with your car as well. For a time, I admired you for being that ruthless, girl. But now you are useless to me. At least if you had the Lan's kid growing in your womb then at least that would be a great opportunity to merge our riches, but now?"
He gave a mirthless laughter and then sat down on his leather chair, dismissing her completely.
“Father, please. I- I am your daughter. How will I survive out there on my own?”
“I don’t really care. You’re dead to me just like your mother.”
Qin Su knew this was it. She wouldn’t be able to reason with him anymore. She dragged herself out from her father's office, and took out her phone, then dialled the only person who she knew wouldn't leave her alone like this. The only one who wouldn’t abandon her.
Suddenly she remembered that she had asked him to run. What if he had already left? She prayed that wasn’t the case so when she heard the phone being received, she breathed a sigh of relief, though short-lived.
"Baby?" She spoke in a hoarse voice. "Baby, can you pick me? I'm at my house… I… I-I'm pregnant, and I think it's yours."

---

Three hours and a lot of twists and turns on the road, just in case anyone was following him, Su She had finally decided it was safe enough for him to stop at a gas station on the side of a highway. He needed to fill his tank anyway and he was starting to get jittery again.
Maybe some food will help get rid of this, he thought. After all, I haven’t eaten anything since last night. Yes! That is exactly what I need. Having decided that he went into the nearby mom & pop shop to get himself a cold sandwich and some beer. Common sense told him alcohol and drugs shouldn’t be mixed but he had had a very long two weeks, holed up in that shithole of an apartment. This was his chance to celebrate being free. Buying what he needed, he took a seat facing the window where he could keep an eye out for all vehicles passing through the area.
It felt like a long time ago that he had led a carefree life. Yes, he envied Lan Wangji but he had never been embroiled in these kinds of circumstances. It had all changed that fateful night when he had hit that man which later turned out to be Nie Huaisang. He cursed his rotten luck but also cursed Zixun and Qin Su who were the root of all his problems.
At this point of time he had mixed feelings towards Qin Su. He had thought he had loved her with all his heart and that one day she would recognize that and come to him on her own accord and not as a plan B when Lan Wangji didn’t want her. But that never happened.
Well, he never really got a chance to express his true feeling if he was being honest with himself. He had been caught up in a web of lies and then there had been no turning back from the road that he had already started walking on. He missed his simple, uncomplicated life. And in a way he missed, Qin Su. As if right on cue, his phone rang again.
Su She saw the caller ID and for a second he hesitated. But then he really wanted to hear her voice again, so he picked up. When all was said and done, he mechanically replaced his phone in his jeans pocket.
The news shook him to his core. His emotions swayed from fear, to giddiness, to a realization that this was a redemption for him. He would try his best to be a good father to his child, unlike his own father and Qin Su's father. He was so happy and over the moon. He quickly finished his food and paid the cashier the amount that was due. Pocketing his wallet back, his hands brushed against the plastic sachet he still carried. The last of his stash.
One last time.
He made a beeline to the public toilet at the back of the petrol station. One last time, he thought again.
For the last time he made the familiar line with the white powder on the counter and sniffed. Throwing the empty packet away, he walked out, started his bike and rode away. He was high as a kite, head full with daydreams about kids, a woman he loved and a house with a white picket fence. He smiled and when his eyes caught his own reflection in the bike mirror, his smile turned into a sloppy grin. He was so happy! It happened in seconds, he swiveled down the wrong road and didn't see the truck that was coming straight at him.
The last thought that flashed through his mind was, I'm sorry, Qin Su.

---

When Qin Su got the call, she had been waiting at the curb outside her home with a suitcase. Numerous cigarette butts littered the ground near her feet. She had been waiting, impatiently. And now it looked like she would forever be waiting.
Su She had died in the crash. She would later find out that he was actually returning to the city for her. She would also find, much much later, an unsent love letter he had written to her long back when they were still in the first year of university.
Without the protection of her father, even Mrs. Bicao had abandoned her and finally the law caught up to her. A sort of resignation could be seen on her face. Su She’s death, the loss of the father of the unborn child within her, had smacked her back to reality. She never even put up a fight when the police came to arrest her, the same day her lover died. It looked like she had lost all will to live.
Once a very much sought-after beauty queen in her university, now had her face plastered on the front pages of the local newspaper for completely different reasons. A murderer, a whore, a gold-digger they called her. But she didn’t mind. Not anymore. She knew all of those were true.
On the other hand Jin Zixun was still fighting tooth and nail against the system. He had a fair share of money to his name but when the incriminating evidence that detective Song and detective Xiao had found in Jin Zixun's apartment, was presented in the court of law, he found himself at the end of the rope. Nothing and no one could save his sorry ass.
Xichen was the one who had acted as the prosecutor in the case. And he had won like all other times. He had pushed for the maximum punishment and after the jury found Zixun guilty, he was sentenced to 25 years of imprisonment with no chance for parole. He was charged for first degree murder, plus possession of controlled substances with intent to distribute. In short, he would never see daylight again.

----

There was no funeral that was held for Su She. Wei Wuxian felt pity for him even though he had been one of the people who had caused him and his friends and family so much pain.
On the day that everyone rejoiced at the outcome of the court case and Zixun finally got what he deserved, Wuxian quietly went out to the backyard when no one was looking and burnt a few paper money in memory of Su She.
“I forgive you,” Wuxian whispered into the cold air.
He startled when he felt strong, sinewy arms wrap around him but relaxed almost instantly into the embrace when he realised it was his boyfriend.
“Lan Zhan…”
“You don’t have to say anything, Wei Ying. I know why you did this.” Wangji paused to place a kiss on his cheek. “I feel pity for him too, you know? He did a lot of things wrong, yes, but if only he had better company his life wouldn’t have turned out the way it did. The Jins completely fucked him up.”
He nuzzled against Wuxian’s neck as he continued. “I am so glad you came into my life Wei Ying. I would have turned up like Su She if my soul hadn’t immediately recognised you as it’s mate. I love you so much.”
“I am glad I found you, Lan Zhan. I love you. So so much!”
They lit a few more paper money and then stood back watching the embers being caught by the draft every now and then when the last of the flames subsided, they held hands and walked back to the house.