Chapter 26

BLAKE'S POV:-

I strode through the bustling packhouse, my mind racing with thoughts of Niya. I couldn't shake the guilt that gnawed at me for the way I had treated her. She deserved so much better than what she was going through. As I reached Cedric's room, I hesitated for a moment before knocking softly.

"Come in," Niya's voice called out.

I stepped inside and was greeted with the sight of Niya sitting up in bed, a book in her hands. Despite the illness that had taken hold of her, she managed to look beautiful as ever.

"Good morning Niya, how are you feeling this morning?" I asked, concern lacing my tone.

"Like shit, but I'm fine," she replied, rolling her eyes.

I took a seat on the couch, my eyes scanning her room. The place had a cozy feel to it, with photographs of Cedric scattered throughout.

"Well, that's not ideal. But I brought you something to make you feel better," I said, holding up a basket of fresh fruits and a bottle of medicine.

"Ooh, fruit! You're my knight in shining armor, Blake," she said with a grin.

I chuckled. "Glad to be of service. And speaking of knights, what's this about you going on a mission to slay some dragon today?"

Her face lit up. "Oh, yeah! I found out where the person we're looking for is, and I want to go check it out. You in?"

"Absolutely not. You're still recovering, Niya. I don't want you pushing yourself too hard," I scolded gently.

Niya pouted. "But I'm feeling much better now! And I promise I'll be careful."

I sighed. "Fine, but only if you promise to stay by my side and not run off into any danger."

She grinned. "Deal!"

"Great. But first, how about we fuel up with some breakfast?" I suggested.

"Sounds like a plan to me," she said, as she bounced out of bed. "Let's go get some pancakes!"

As we made our way to the dining hall, I couldn't help but smile at her infectious energy. Maybe spending the day with her wouldn't be so bad after all.

We reached the dining room to find everyone already settled in their seats, and plates filled with food in front of them. I pulled out a chair for Niya and sat beside her.

"Good morning everyone," Samantha said as she walked over to us. I was surprised to see her here so early.

"Hey, what brings you here?" I asked her, and she leaned in to give me a quick peck on the cheek.

"I had some free time, and I thought I'd come spend it with my favorite people," she smiled and took a seat on my right.

"I see," I said, looking at Niya. She smiled at me, as if to say, "It's okay, you can spend time with her." But I couldn't do that, not after what had happened the last time I left her alone. I had to make sure she was okay.

"Actually, I have some important work to take care of," I said, turning to Samantha. Her smile faded a little, but she tried to hide it.

"Oh, okay," she said, forcing a smile.

"I'm sorry," I said, feeling guilty.

"We can go clubbing this weekend," Amanda suggested, her voice sounding like a crying donkey to me nowadays.

"That would be fun!" Samantha perked up.

"We all can go," Cady added, but I knew they didn't want to include Niya. And to be honest, Niya didn't want to go either.