Chapter 53

NIYA'S POV:-

"Ughhrrrr," I groaned, frustration written all over my face.

Betty let out a long sigh, shaking her head in disbelief. "Will you stop groaning and just pick up that call?" she urged, pointing to my phone that lay buzzing on the table.

I glared at it, feeling a knot of anxiety form in my stomach. The flashing name on the screen made me feel sick. "Psycho!" I muttered under my breath.

Veronica, who had been listening intently to our conversation, leaned forward in her seat. "You've been here for a week and still haven't told me what's wrong?" she asked, her eyes full of concern.

I let out a heavy sigh, feeling the weight of the world on my shoulders. "I'm not sure why he's acting this way; it's as if he's been possessed by some good ghost," I said, running a hand through my hair.

"What exactly did he do?" Veronica probed, her eyes narrowing with curiosity.

As my phone pinged again, I couldn't help but let out a bitter laugh. "Do you remember the party?" I asked, my voice laced with bitterness.

"Hmm! Yes," Veronica nodded slowly.

"It all started from that night," I said, my jaw clenched tightly as I thought back to the events that had brought me to this point.

**Two weeks ago**

I buried myself deeper under the warm blankets, unwilling to face the cold morning. Suddenly, a gentle and heavenly voice spoke.

"Niya, wake up."

I groaned and mumbled, "Hmm, five more minutes."

"Okay," the voice replied.

Wait!! Okay? Who is this person? I slowly opened one eye to look at the angel who had granted me some extra time to sleep.

"Ohh!! You're awake, here drink this." A cup was held in front of my face, and I kept blinking to clear my vision. I'm guessing I have an eye problem or am dreaming.

Yeah!! It's just a dream, this can't be true. I hesitantly took the cup and sniffed it. It smelled like chamomile tea, but I couldn't be sure.

"You look cute," a small chuckle from the person in front of me brought me out of my reverie.

"Are you alright?" I sat up straight and placed my hand on the person's forehead.

"Yes, I'm fine, but please drink your tea here," why is this person giggling again? I've never seen him in such a good mood before.

"You appear pale; are you okay?" he asked, his smile never leaving his face.

"Yes, I'm fine," I cleared my throat, "I'll go and get fresh first."

"Alright!! I'll wait for you so we can eat breakfast together, and I'll drive you to work," he clapped his hands, smiled, and exited the room.

What was he doing smiling at me? Why is he acting so strangely? Is he on his period or what? I can smell something fishy.

I sat on the couch after getting ready and drank a sip of cold tea, which does not taste good when cold. As I stared at my reflection in the mirror, I wondered what today held for me. Something was definitely off, but I couldn't put my finger on it.

I took a sip and halted, "Wait!!! Did he put something in my tea?" My eyes widened, and I spit the tea back into the cup.

"I can't possibly be that stupid to die after drinking tea."

*****

Cedric sauntered over to the table, his arms loaded with a colorful array of fruit. "Here, eat this; it's tasty and healthy," he said, his voice almost too cheerful for the morning. He arranged the fruit on my plate, adding a glass of freshly squeezed juice with a flourish.