Chapter 37

NIYA'S POV:-

Silence enveloped the air as we all sat on the couch in the safe house provided by the officials. The tension was palpable as we waited for our flight to take us back to India from Russia.

The events that led us here had been traumatic, with the loss of two of our best friends and teammates, Arjun and Karan.

Betty suddenly stood up and gestured for me to follow her. I hesitated for a moment before rising to my feet and trailing after her. She opened the car door for me and then took her place behind the wheel.

The car ride to the airport was silent, with only the sound of the engine to fill the space. Khush and Iyan had work to attend to before their flight, so it was just the two of us in the car.

As we approached a fork in the road, I noticed that Betty was taking a left turn instead of going straight to the airport. "Betty, the airport is that way," I pointed out, confused.

She didn't respond to my comment, and instead, hit the gas pedal. The car lurched forward, causing our bodies to jolt violently.

My hand instinctively went to her shoulder to steady myself, but she suddenly veered the car towards a cliff, and I had to quickly retrieve my hand.

"Betty, watch out!" I yelled, panic rising in my chest. The car screeched to a stop just before the cliff's edge, and I hit my head on the windshield due to the sudden impact. Blood trickled down my forehead as I touched it, wincing at the pain.

"What's wrong with you?" I shouted at Betty, my voice laced with anger and fear.

She opened the car door and slammed it shut, kicking a nearby stone in frustration. I quickly got out of the car to check on her. "This is all your fault!" She yelled at me, her eyes ablaze with anger.

"Don't you think I know that?" I shouted back, walking forward and standing in front of her. "I'm just as guilty as you are."

"How can you live with the guilt of killing two of our best friends and the man I loved?" She pushed me back, and I stumbled a few steps before regaining my balance.

"You have no idea how I'm dealing with this, Betty. I loved Arjun more than you could ever imagine, and Karan was like a brother to me." I glared at her, my hands balled into fists at my sides.

"Love him? If you really loved him, you could have never allowed him to stay behind." She pushed me again, and this time, I was dangerously close to the edge of the cliff. One more step backward, and I would have fallen off.

"I know you loved him too, Betty," I whispered, my voice barely audible over the wind.

"Oh yeah? Did you?" She scoffed, her lip curling in disgust.

"All of this happened because of you. Our team was broken because of you. Karan was killed because of you, and Arjun was killed because of you. All of this is because of you." She pushed me again, and this time, I lost my footing and stumbled backward.

"Betty, let's talk about this when we get home," I said, trying to diffuse the situation.

"Home? I'll surely send you home, Khushi." She sneered, and I could see the anger in her eyes, the madness that had taken over her.