Chapter 49

NIYA'S POV:-

"Have you heard the rumour?" Nyssa queried as she ate her lunch. We were sitting in the cafeteria of our office building, enjoying a break from our workday.

"About what?" I savoured my sandwich. I had just taken a bite, and the mix of flavours was delicious.

"Mrs. Smith is pregnant," Nyssa said, her voice low and conspiratorial. I choked on my sandwich and looked at her with wide eyes.

"What? Who said it?" When I looked around the table, I noticed that everyone was stunned. Our colleagues were sitting there, listening to our conversation with rapt attention.

"Angie, my sister, told me that she works as a nurse in the gynaecologist department. She noticed Amanda over there." Nyssa simply shrugged, but her expression told me that she believed the rumour.

"Nyssa, she might be in for a routine checkup." I did my best to conceal my discomfort. I may not believe in this marriage, but it hurts to know that another woman is carrying your husband's child.

Oh god! This was supposed to be the beginning of my new life, just as I had imagined it. But this is the worst of all I've been through; even the bullet didn't hurt me the way this news does.

"We must not focus on these; it is their personal matter." Natasha cast a snide glance at Nyssa and me.

One thing I realised was that Natasha may have a crush on Mr. Beta. She always had a way of defending him, even when it wasn't necessary.

"Niya, Mr. Smith is calling you, and he sounds angry." Rachel interrupted our conversation, and I looked at my phone.

"OMG! 15 missed phone calls." My pupils dilated, and I dashed towards the elevator. I couldn't afford to keep him waiting.

"God! He's going to murder me," I began to panic, feeling giddy and nauseous. My hands were trembling, and my legs felt like they were about to give out on me.

My heart pounded erratically, and my breaths came in shallow gasps. It felt like the walls were closing in on me, and my body was on the verge of collapse. Panic had taken hold of me, and I couldn't shake it off.

Suddenly, a voice interrupted my spiralling thoughts, "Shit!" I felt someone grab me, and a hand moved up and down my back.

"Niya, take a deep breath," a hand moved up and down my back in a soothing gesture.

"Take a slow, in-and-out breath. Here, drink this." A glass of water was placed in front of me.

"How do you feel?" I raised my head to see those concerned green eyes looking back at me.

"I'm fine, thank you," I said, still trying to steady my breathing.

"What happened?" he enquired, his voice filled with genuine concern.

I closed my eyes to remember what had happened. No, it wasn't because of Cedric. There were flashes in front of me, but for a different reason. I couldn't figure it out. It felt like I was reliving some events.

"I'm not sure. Rachel told me you were calling. I dashed towards the elevator, and then I can't remember what happened," I explained, shaking my head.