Chapter 39

NIYA'S POV:-

The clanking of spoons on the table echoed through the room, breaking the silence that had engulfed us. It was like a graveyard in there, except for the occasional sound of utensils hitting plates or someone sipping on their drink.

Suddenly, someone cleared their throat, and all eyes were on my sister, who spoke up in a low voice, "So, I'm heading back tomorrow. I have an urgent client to attend to, but I'll be back soon."

Is she seriously ditching me?

She looked at me with her baby blue eyes, and I could see the glimmer of hope in them as she added, "I mean, you can come with me if you want to."

I kept my gaze fixed on my plate, pretending not to care as I replied, "I have some work to take care of here."

"Ok," she said, her voice trailing off as she turned away.

I felt the eyes of my mom and her new family on me, stealing glances at me. And then there was the eight-year-old girl giving my husband a flirtatious look. I couldn't believe it! She was just a child!

Cedric looked embarrassed, and I noticed a hint of redness creeping up his ear.

And then my mom grunted, "Niya, you're married now. You must learn to eat fast, God! You'll spoil my name."

"Mom, let her eat," my sister Riya hissed.

"Don't you dare talk back to me, young woman! I'm still your mother," my mom snapped back, glaring at Riya. I didn't want to get involved in their fight, so I kept my head bowed, hoping to avoid any drama.

"Look at her, she's so rude," she said with a disgusted expression on her face. I couldn't help but let out a small smile, knowing all too well that this was a regular occurrence.

"Shameless! This is ridiculous," she hissed at me, demanding a response.

"Say something, I'm speaking to you." Her words were like daggers, and I could feel her anger and frustration building up.

"What do you want me to say, Ma?" I let out a heavy sigh, hoping to diffuse the situation, but deep down, I knew it was a lost cause.

"Just look at her, she has the audacity to question me. This is the reason I hate your gut," she bellowed, her voice echoing through the room.

"Mom! Enough, why are you picking a fight with her? She has done nothing but sit there quietly eating her food. Let her be." Riya couldn't take it anymore and shouted.

But my mother was relentless. "Oh! She turned you against me. She turned my own daughter against me," she scoffed, her words laced with bitterness and resentment. I could feel her words piercing through my heart, but I refused to let her see me break down, so I gave out a small smile.

"What are you smiling at? Am I telling you a joke or something?" She slammed her plate on the table and pushed her chair back, causing a loud thud. Her actions were filled with frustration, and I could see the anger in her eyes.

"It's nothing, Ma. I'm just tired now. Tired of all your tactics. I'm done explaining myself, I'm tired of proving myself," I said as I massaged my temple, feeling the weight of the situation. I could feel the stress and exhaustion building up inside me, and I knew that I couldn't take it anymore.