Chapter 1 | Charcoal

You're 17 as of right now.

*second person p.o.v.*

"Tanjiro, you have soot all over your face," You giggled. "Here, let me help you." You used your sleeve and wiped the soot off of his face.

"It's dangerous with all this snow. You guys don't have to go, you know." Your mother sighed. You turned to your mother with a reassuring smile. "It'll be all right, mom." You had reassured.

"Yeah, i want everyone to eat their fill on New Year's, so we'll sell as much charcoal as we can." Tanjiro added. She smiled and patted both of your heads.

"Thank you." Your mother smiled. "Big bro! Big sis!" Shigeru and Hanako ran over. "You're going into town today?" Shigeru asked.

"I'm going with you guys!" Hanako declared. Takeo appeared from behind Shigeru and Hanako, seeming as if he ran over.

"Oh no, you're not. You know you can't walk fast like Y/n and Tanjiro." Your mother walked over to Shigeru and Hanako. "Mom!" Shigeru whined.

"You may not. Since Tanjiro can't use the cart today, and Y/n can't carry you both, they won't be able to give you a ride and carry you when you're tired." Your mother stated.

"Big sis!" Shigeru ran over to you and gave you and Tanjiro a big hug. Hanako walked over with a determined face.

"I wanna go with you guys! I promise i'll help you!" You and Tanjiro look at eachother before looking back at Hanako.

You pat Hanako's head. "Thanks, Hanako," Hanako smiled hopefully. "But you're staying home today." You finished.

"Ehhhh?" Her smile dropped and tears formed in her eyes. Tanjiro grabbed Shigeru's shoulders and looked him in the eyes.

"You, too, Shigeru. But i'll get you tons of goodies, okay?" Shigeru's frown turned into a smile at Tanjiro's words. "Really?" He asked.

"Yeah." Tanjiro nodded. Tanjiro then looked over at Hanako. "And Hanako, i'll read to you when i get back with Y/n." Tanjiro said.

"Okay!" Hanako's smile returned, and she was smiling just as bright as ever. "That's a good girl, Hanako." You ruffled Hanako's hair affectionately.

"Thank you so much, you two." Your mother thanked. "Of course." Tanjiro smiled. "Okay, we should be heading out now." You bring your hand back to your side.

"Takeo. Will you chop as much wood as you can?" Tanjiro asked. "Sure, i'll do it, but... i was hoping we could do it together." Takeo pouted with a small huff. Tanjiro walked forward and patted Takeo's head.

"There, there." Tanjiro babied. You laughed at the scene. "What's with that all of a sudden?!" Takeo exclaimed. "You're blushing, Take!" Shigeru pointed.

"Hey, you shut up!" Takeo said with embarrassment. "There, there." Tanjiro continued to pat Takeo's head.

"I said cut it out!" Takeo jumped back to avoid further embarrassment. Everyone burst into laughter.

"Hurry back, okay?" Shigeru shouted. "Be safe, okay?" Hanako also shouted. "Yeah, you too! Make sure to help mom!" You waved back with a smile.

"Of course!" Hanako shouted back. Your mother smiled. "Big sister, big brother." Nezuko walked over with Rokuta on her back. You and Tanjiro approached Nezuko. "Hello, Nezuko." You and Tanjiro greeted.

"I was putting Rokuta down for a nap, or he'd make a scene when you both leave. He missed dad a lot since he passed away. And everyone follows where you go, big sister." You smiled softly and rubbed Rokuta's black hair. "Anyway, see you later!" Nezuko smiled.

You and Tanjiro wave once more before taking off to town. The snow crunched beneath your feet, fluffy snowflakes falling from the clouded sky.

Soon, you and Tanjiro had neared the town, and spotted an old lady sweeping outside of her shop.

"Well now, Y/n and Tanjiro! I can't believe you both came down from the mountain on a day like this! You guys are such hard workers! You might catch a cold, you know!" You smiled at the lady.

"Do you have enough charcoal?" You asked. "Hey, Y/n! Tanjiro! Can i have some charcoal? Thanks for fixing my sliding doors the other day." A man said.

"I'll have some charcoal too!" The woman said. Tanjiro also smiled, but was interrupted when a man from behind you came out with a bloody nose.

"Tanjiro! Y/n!" The man cried. "Oh man, perfect timing!" The man ran over, relief painting his face.

He opened a purple cloth to reveal a broken plate. "I've been accused of breaking this plate! Help me out, will you?" He pleaded. He lifted it up. "Sniff it!" You and Tanjiro bent down, and smelt the plate.

There was the scent of a cat on it. "I think a cat broke it. What about you, Tanjiro?" You turned to your little brother.

"Mhm," Tanjiro nodded. "I smell a cat." The man with the bloody nose turned to the lady behind him. "You see?!" The man exclaimed.

"Oh my, so it was a cat?" The woman questioned aloud. "I told you it wasn't me!" The man said.

"Ah, Y/n, Tanjiro, could one of you give me a hand with this luggage?" A another man asked. "Yes, of course! I'll do it." Tanjiro said.

...

The sky was now dark. It was late. "Oh man, it's late already." Tanjiro sighed. "But i'm glad they're sold out, though." You added, glancing at your burgundy-headed brother.

"Yeah, now people can have a nice New Year's." Tanjiro chuckled. "Hey, Y/n, Tanjiro!" A man shouted. "Hm?" You turned around in confusion.

"Are you both going to head back up the mountain?" The man asked. You nodded.

"You'd better not. It's too dangerous." The man warned. "Me and my big sis have a great sense of smell, so we'll be fine." Tanjiro reassured.

"You guys can stay here for the night. Come on, get back here." You and Tanjiro looked at eachother. "But..." Tanjiro began.

"Don't argue! Come on! Before the demons come." A shiver went down your spine. You've heard of the demons before. All the stories were gruesome.

"Let's just go, Tanjiro. I'm sure mom will understand." You grabbed Tanjiro's hand and walked to the small hut, silencing Tanjiro before he could reject the idea and argue any further.

"Thanks for the meal!" You and Tanjiro thanked. You blew on your tea before taking a sip, letting the hot liquid run down your throat. It was soothing.

"Hey, Mr. Saburo, what are demons like?" Tanjiro asked. You looked over at Mr. Saburo curiously.

"Man-eating demons have always prowled the land once it gets dark. That's why you should never stroll around at night." Mr. Saburo explained, setting up a futon for you and Tanjiro.

"If you're both done eating, go to bed. You can set off for home at first light." He said. You nodded.

Once you and Tanjiro went to bed, Tanjiro spoke up. "Could these demons come inside your house?" Tanjiro asked. "Yes, they could." He replied simply, blowing out a puff of his smoke.

"Then, everyone would get eaten by the demons." You said.

"That's why the demon slayers protect us by slaying them.... since way back when. Lights out now. Go to sleep." Doing as told, you and Tanjiro say goodnight before closing your eyes, not knowing what would await you in the morning.

__________________________________________________

(1220 words)