Chapter 33 | Mr. Conductor

*second person p.o.v.*

"Hold on a second! And just what are you looking at?" Tanjiro panicked.

"Flame breathing has a long history. In any given era, there's always been a flame and water swordsmen among the hashira. Flame. Water. Wind. Stone. Thunder. Those are the fundamental breathing techniques. The other techniques were created offshoots of those five. Mist is a fork of wind. Young ones! What colour are your swords?" Rengoku explained.

"My sword color is black and a baby blue. Tanjiro's is black." You replied. "Black and blue swords? Well, isn't that unfortunate!" Kyojuro laughed.

"For real?" Tanjiro asked. "I've never known a swordman with a black sword that became a hashira. As for the other one, the same goes. Blue, turquoise, but baby blue? Nope! On top of that, i hear that they have no clue which style to master!" You hummed out in response.

"Come to me, and i'll train you guys! You can rest easy now!" Kyojuro said loudly.

"No, thank you! And just what are you looking at?" Tanjiro also matched Kyojuro's tone of voice. With a small giggle, you turned to look out the window.

You heard Zenitsu scold Inosuke, as he had his upper body out of the window. "That's dangerous. You never know when a demon might appear." Kyojuro said.

"You're kidding, right? Demons show up on this train?" Zenitsu asked. "Sure do!" Kyojuro happily replied.

"What?! They do?! We're not heading to where the demons are, but we're here?! Noooo! I'm getting off!" Zenitsu shrieked.

"Over forty people have disappeared on this train. The corps sent a few swordsmen, but they all went silent. That's why i, a hashira, am here." With tears running down his cheeks, Zenitsu screamed in distraught.

"Right, i see! I'm getting off! I'm getting off!" Zenitsu started bluffering and panicking. "May i... see your.... tickets, please?" The conductor slowly walked over like a zombie.

"What's that?" Tanjiro asked. "The conductor's going to check your ticket and punch a hole in it." Kyojuro explained.

He first did Kyojuro's, then yours, then Inosuke's, Zenitsu's, and lastly Tanjiro's. The lights lighting up the room flickered, a buzz sound following after it.

Kyojuro's smile was wiped off his face, and your guard was up when a horrible scent wafted past you. "Thank you... very much." The conductor looked deathly pale, and tired.

He looked dead. You and Kyojuro glanced at eachother. You both seemed to be thinking the same thing.

Kyojuro stood up, a smile back on his face. "Mr. Conductor! You could get hurt, so please step back! As this is an emergency, please overlook that fact that we have a sword." As the light flickered again, a demon appeared as the light went back on.

The men over there whimpered in fear and surprise, as did Zenitsu. You stood up, revealing your sword attached to your hip.

"Was it a blood demon art that hid its massive body? I had a hard time detecting you. But if you bare your fangs at innocent people...." Kyojuro took out his sword, a glowing flame following after it.

"My bright red flame blade will burn you to the bone!" The large demon roared in response. In a flash, Kyojuro was beside the demon and his head was cut off in an instant. The body exploded before it hit you, a wave of heat going past you.

From where Kyojuro was, he turned to the door. "There's still one more. Come with me!" Kyojuro ran forward. You ran over to Kyojuro, your younger brother and Inosuke close behind.

There the demon was, hands and feet atop of the seats. The girl who complimented your mask earlier stood in fear with her mother as other passengers rushed past.

"Please find safety in the next cart. You're not safe here." You said. "You don't plan on staying here, do you...?" The mother asked.

"Don't worry. It's my job to slay those things. Now, please leave." They both quickly nodded and left the cart after they saw your sword.

You heard a man scream as the demon screeched and got close to his face. "You will not lay a finger on that man!" Kyojuro declared.

Inosuke and Tanjiro ran in, taking out their swords and standing in front of you and Kyojuro. "Didn't you hear me? I said i'm your opponent." Kyojuro repeated.

"What is it? It's got long arms!" Zenitsu shivered. "All right! First come, first served!" Inosuke ran forward.

"Hold up! We gotta save the passenger first!" Tanjiro exclaimed. "It won't matter once i destroy that thing!" Inosuke arrogantly snapped back.

As soon as Inosuke got close, the demon shot out more arms, which he had to dodge. "You get the boar! I'll get the passenger!" Kyojuro ordered.

"Of course." You and Kyojuro stepped forward in front of Tanjiro, but before your feet could touch the ground, both of you disappeared from Tanjiro's sight in a flicker.

You grabbed Inosuke and set him down on a seat with speed, landing next to him. Kyojuro ran forward, using one of his breathing techniques to cut the head off the demon.

"Y/n, the body!" Tanjiro warned. Before one of its arms could hit you, you dashed forward, concentrating your breathing.

'Fourth form. Striking tide.' Taking out your sword, jumping, and cutting down the middle of the large, lanky demon body, they both split apart and fell to the ground limply.

You landed in front of Kyojuro, sliding your sword back in its holder. "That was quite impressive!" Kyojuro said. As Tanjiro stared at Kyojuro in awe, he began to speak.

"That was awesome, bro! Talk about brilliant sword skills, man! Please make me your apprentice!" Tanjiro said. "Fine by me! I'll make a fine swordsman out of you!" Kyojuro replied.

"Me, too, please!" Zenitsu sang. "Me, three!" Like fish, it was like they were all swimming around him. "I'll train all of you!" Kyojuro said.

"Big bro Rengoku! Bro!" They all chanted as Kyojuro laughed. You began laughing at them. "What about you, Y/n?" Kyojuro asked.

"Three's enough, don't you think?" You giggled. "You should also become my apprentice! I would love to teach you!" Kyojuro said. "It's fine. I think that's oka-" Kyojuro cut you off.

"You could also help me teach these three! Just you and me!" Kyojuro used his arm to pull you into a side hug as he laughed.

His arm was hooked right under your chest, as his heaved with loud laughter. "All right then, i guess." You gave in. "Yay! Big bro Rengoku! Big sis Y/n!" Tanjiro cheered.

Once you all went back to your seats, you fell asleep with your head leaned on Kyojuro's shoulder, as he refused to let your head rest against the hard, cold window.

Tanjiro had his upper body over Nezuko's box, and Inosuke was sprawled over Zenitsu. Rengoku had his head leaned over yours, both of your arms crossed over your chests as you both quietly breathed.

*inside your dream*

With every step you took, the snow crunched beneath your feet. Finally realizing your surroundings, you stopped in your tracks and took out your sword, turning around.

"Big sis!" Hanako called out. You froze, feeling your breath stop. "Welcome home, big sis!" Shigeru said. "Hanako....? Shigeru....?" You whispered. "Did you sell all the charcoal?" Hanako asked.

You started breathing heavily, dropping your sword and taking off your mask, leaving them both on the snow beneath without a care.

You slowly walked towards them, dropping to your knees and pulling them close as you cried. "Hanako.....! Shigeru....!" You cried.

______________________________________________________

(1270 words)