Chapter 3 | Giyuu Tomioka

*second person p.o.v.*

The man grit his teeth in anger.

"Don't ever give others a chance to murder you! Stop that pathetic grovelling! If it was the least bit effective, your family wouldn't be dead! How can you weaklings who can't take the initiative in such a situation heal their sister? Hunt down the enemy? Don't make me laugh! The weak have no rights or choices! Their only fate is to be relentlessly crushed by the strong! The demons might know how to cure your sister! But don't think that a demon will respect your will or wishes! Natrually, i have no respect for you, either! That's reality! Why did you both throw yourselves over your sister earlier? Was that your way of protecting her? Why didn't you swing your hatchet? Why did you show your back to me? All those blunders led to your sister's capture! I could've skewered her along with you both!" He shouted, his blade now pointed to you.

You and Tanjiro were now sat up, staring at the man with wide eyes. He glared at you dead in the eye, then took his katana and stabbed it into Nezuko's shoulder.

"No!" You shouted. You took two rocks from behind you and threw it at the man with the katana.

You got up and ran to the hatchet, grabbing it whilst Tanjiro grabbed a rock. Tanjiro threw it at the man, then you ran to him like you had the hatchet.

"You fool!" He exclaimed. "We'll see about that." You muttered, and he heard.

He raised his arm, and swung his blade handle down onto you. Your vision went black as you fell onto the cold snow beneath you.

Tanjiro then aimed the hatchet and threw it, aimed for the slayer's head. But with the tilt of his head, he dodged it.

Tanjiro ran over with a battle cry, but was easily stopped and was also knocked out on top of you.

Nezuko growled and kicked the blue-eyed man away, standing protectively over you and Tanjiro, making his blue eyes widen with surprise and shock. Nezuko charged at the man, but was knocked out -just like her older siblings.

"I'm sorry to leave you behind, Y/n. But please.... take care of your siblings for me, all right? Be their guardian angel.' You heard your mother say.

"Nezuko, Tanjiro!" You shouted as your eyes shot open. You gripped onto Tanjiro's and Nezuko's clothing.

You must've shouted a bit too loud, because Tanjiro had also awoken. Nezuko was still passed out with a bamboo muzzle in her mouth, probably to stop her from trying to eat someone. You sighed in relief as you ruffled Tanjiro's hair.

"You awake?" A voice said. You sat up and pulled Nezuko and Tanjiro to you, holding them tight as if they were going to be taken.

"Go see a man named Sakonji Urokodaki who lives at the foot of Mt. Sagiri. Tell him that Giyuu Tomioka sent you both." Giyuu leaned off the tree.

"She seems to be all right since it's cloudy now, but never let her be exposed to the sunlight." He added. Giyuu looked at you, and was reminded of his deceased sister almost immediately.

The relief of knowing your younger sibing was safe, the gentleness, the calmness, the way your shoulders relaxed, your tranquil aura.

You looked like someone even he could trust. His heart clenched painfully as memories flashed through his mind.

His eyes softened and showed a hint of emotion in that one look, so before things could get too deep, he disappeared in a flash.

You sighed softly, then pat Tanjiro. "We're okay now. Let's go." You whispered. He shakily nodded.

...

While cleaning the last of your family's blood off the floor, you found your mask that your father had gifted to you.

You grabbed it and wiped the blood off of it, inspecting it then hiding it in your haori. You stood up as everything was cleaned and fixed.

"All done." You announced as you walked out of the house. You and Tanjiro took a shovel and began digging holes for your deceased family members, putting their bodies in once done and filling the holes back up.

You and Tanjiro kneel and pray, then stood up. "Let's go now." You and Tanjiro grab ahold of Nezuko's hand and begun walking.

You saw Tanjiro look back at your family's grave with a pained expression. "Hey," You turn his head forward.

"What's done is done. It happened. It hurts, i know. But things will get better, i hope. Your big sister will protect you." You said. Tanjiro smiled then nodded, looking back ahead.

After for walking a while in the snow, you neared a rice field. You had found a cave for Nezuko and let Nezuko and Tanjiro stay there whilst you looked for something.

"Excuse me? Would it be all right of i took that basket, straw and some bamboo?" You asked a farmer.

"Sure, you're welcome to it, but that basket's full of holes." He said. "And i'll pay for them." You said.

"No, that's all right. I mean, it's a basket with holes." The man waved it off. "Please, i insist!" You smiled, insisting to pay him stubbornly.

"No, it's all right. You can have the bamboo and straw for free, too." The man added. "I'm still paying you." You went into your haori and retrieved some money for the man.

"I said it's okay! You're one stubborn kid!" The man exclaimed. You grabbed his hand and slammed the coins into his hand.

"Please accept this, although it's just small change!" With that you take the things needed and headed back to where Tanjiro and Nezuko were. "Thank you very much!" You shout to the man.

"Nezuko? Tanjiro?" You called out. "Y/n, Nezuko dug a hole and crawled into it. I couldn't stop her." Tanjiro said nervously.

You sweatdropped. "W-well, u-uh, Tanjiro, help me cut the bamboo." You stammered.

"Yes, ma'am." Tanjiro playfully saluted. You giggled and sat down. Tanjiro grabbed his hatchet and cut the bamboo, which you used to make into a new basket.

Tanjiro used the straw and made the handles, connecting it to the basket afterwards. "Nezuko? Think you can fit inside this?" Tanjiro asked as he showed Nezuko the basket.

"I want to keep moving during the day, too. I'll carry you, okay?" Tanjiro said. "Are you sure you want to carry it? I can if you want to." You say.

"No, i don't mind! You've done enough already, Y/n. Loosen up for a bit." Tanjiro laughed. He turned back to Nezuko.

"Can you fit in the basket, Nezuko?" Tanjiro asked, pointing into the basket. She got out of the hole and stuck her head in, but only half her body could fit.

"Oh. Uh, Nezuko! Remember when you became big like an adult the other day? Do you think you can do the opposite? Get smaller?" You asked.

"Smaller, Nezuko! Get smaller!" Tanjiro said as he patted her. She pushed herself into the basket and tipped it upwards, fitting her whole body in there and sitting up properly.

She blinked slowly. "She's so cute!" You squealed. "Good job! That's a good girl, Nezuko." Tanjiro babied while petting her.

"I'm quite impressed!" You said. "Yesh, me, too!" Tanjiro agreed. Then you both set off on your journey.

_________________________________________________

(1237 words)