Chapter 39 | Not-So-Nice Greeting

*second person p.o.v.*

It hasn't been too long since you and Tanjiro had been recovering, but you and Tanjiro still decided to go to the Rengoku estate.

You both panted as you two neared the estate, mentally thanking Kyojuro's crow for leading you two there.

Looking ahead, you saw Senjuro sweeping the ground, his gaze lowered and dark circles under his eyes. 'He really looks like Kyojuro...' You softened your eyes, a smile gracing your lips.

"Are you Senjuro?" You asked. He looked your way, seeming to be surprised by the sudden greeting. "Huh?" You and Tanjiro bowed your heads down.

"Have you heard about the obituary for Rengoku Kyojuro? I was given a message for his father and for you, Senjuro... so me and my sister has come to convey it." Tanjiro explained firmly, drops of sweat rolling down his face.

"From my brother? I already know what happened. Uhm... are you okay? You both look really pale." Senjuro replied, noticing you and Tanjiro's conditions. "Ah, we're fin-" You were cut off by a loud shout.

"Stop! You've just come to tell us useless crap anyway! It's because he became a swordsman despite not having great talent. That's why he died! Pathetic Kyojuro's just a fool of a son!" Kyojuro's father, you believed, stood there with an angered look. As you and the two younger boys stared, he continued.

"People's power are decided upon the moment they are born. A small fraction of people have talent, the rest are just riffraff garbage without any value! Kyojuro was like that, lacking in any great talent. Of course he was going to die." Your mouth gaped in somewhat shock.

Hearing a quiet whimper, you looked over at Senjuro to see him looking down with tears in his eyes. Your smile was long gone, and what replaced it was a frown.

"Senjuro! The funeral's over! How long are you going to make that pathetic expression?!" Furrowing your brows, you fully turned to the man holding the bottle of alcohol.

"Please stop talking that way. It's a very cruel way to say it." You stated. "What's up with you two? Get the hell out! Don't step into my threshold!" He demanded. "We're from the demon slay-" Tanjiro was rudely cut off.

"You.... i see you're... a sun user, right?! The both of you?! That's right!" Kyojuro's father pointed his index finger accusingly at you both. "'Sun user'? What do you mean?" You asked, genuinely confused.

Kyojuro's father ran forward, so you pushed Tanjiro aside as you were slammed into the ground. Tanjiro exclaimed, yelling at Kyojuro's father.

You noticed how fast he moved. He didn't move like an average person. No, not at all.

Senjuro and Tanjiro ran over and tried to pull him off of you, but he refused. "Father! Please stop! Just look at the person! She and her brother are in a really bad state!" Senjuro pleaded.

"Get off my sister!" Tanjiro demanded with all his might.

"Shut up! Silence!" Kyojuro's father hit Senjuro across the face, shaking Tanjiro off of him. Grinding your teeth, you balled your fists.

"That's enough, you bastard!" You kicked him in the face, knocking him off of you and beside Tanjiro. You grabbed Tanjiro's hand and pulled him beside you, breathing heavily.

"Just what have you been doing?! Badmouthing your son who gave up his life! And hitting your other! What good will this do?! Why? Why must you talk so ill of Kyojuro?!" You yelled.