Chapter 24 | Bonds

*second person p.o.v.*

"Wh-what are you doing? Aren't you two allies?" Tanjiro asked. "Allies? Don't put us in the same category as something that frail. We're family. We're joined from a powerful bond. And besides, this matter is between me and my sister. Don't interfere. Or i'll carve you up." Rui warned. You stepped in front of Tanjiro protectively. "You're hurt, you shouldn't move!" Tanjiro scolded.

"You're wrong. If the bond between you is strong enough, it's irrelevant whether you're family or allies. They're equally as precious. Calling it shallow if you're not related by bond.... is simply not true. Not only that, but those who share a strong bond give off the scent of trust." You said.

"Yet the scent i pick up from you two is the scent of terror, hatred, and repulsion. That's not what you call a bond." You got into stance and planted your injured side's foot onto the ground, not caring for the pain.

"It's counterfeit. It's fake." That seemed to struck a nerve in Rui, as his eyes visibly widened.

"You...." Rui began, but stopped when footsteps were heard. "Hey, look at that! A demon that's just the right size! Even i can take down a kid like him." He arrogantly said. "Sir, please, hold on-" He cut you off.

"You care to back off? I'm aiming for the safe route up the ladder. The higher your rank, the bigger your paycheck, after all. My unit may have been wiped out, but at least i get to slay a decently strong demon and head down the mountain in one piece. Take this!" The guy raised his sword and went for Rui.

"Don't do it! Stop!" Tanjiro yelled. You were about to move, but you stopped when the pain in your leg increased. Rui shot out a spider web, and the arrogant guy was immediately chopped into pieces. "Hey, what did you say? Hey, you. What was it you just said?" A dark look painted his features, and you instantly felt intimidated.

"Hey, you. What you said just now..... let's hear you say that again. Come on. Say it, will you?" Rui repeated. "Of course. I'll say it as many times as you want. The bond between you is fake." You said.

You gripped your sword tightly. "Tanjiro, leave now." You ordered. "No, i can't just leave you here!" Tanjiro said. "Leave this to your big sis, will you? Whatever happens, promise me you'll stay safe." You said. "Y/n, you're injured-" You cut Tanjiro off. "Promise me, Tanjiro." Your voice came out more stern.

"I.... i promise." Tanjiro said, looking down. "Now leave. Don't look back, just run." You whispered. "I'm afraid i can't let any of you leave." Rui interrupted.

Rui used both hands to release spider webs at you both, having to block it with your sword. Tanjiro got a little cut on his face, and one of your hands had got a few shallow cuts.

"I'll give you a small heads up. I don't plan on killing either of you right away. After ripping you to threads, i'll carve you up. That said, if you take back your words, i'll do you a favor and kill you at once." Rui said.

"I won't take it back. What i said was the truth. You are the one who's not making any sense. You're the one who's in the wrong." You repeated. Rui threw more spider webs at you both.

You and Tanjiro jumped back and landed in a tree branch, but you both had to jump down again when another spider web was sent your way, cutting through the branch you and Tanjiro were once on.

You ducked while Taniiro jumped up to dodge yet another spider web. "Jump, Tanjiro!" Doing as ordered, Tanjiro ran and used your back to jump up and try and kill Rui.

But unexpectedly, Tanjiro's sword broke upon contact with the spider web. "Tanjiro!" You shouted, running over to your little brother. Just as the spider web was about to slice through Tanjiro, you grabbed him and moved him out of the way, but he still ended up getting a large cut across his face.

You cried out when Tanjiro's leg pushed the branch further into your wound. "Y/n!" Tanjiro quickly got off you. "Are you okay?" You asked. "I should be asking you that! I'm so sorry." Tanjiro helped you stand back up.

Spider webs were thrown once again. Tanjiro grabbed you and jumped out of the way to avoid getting sliced. You both ducked down and got split apart from eachother. Tanjiro went over to Rui while you dodge spider webs, making sure not to hurt your wound.

Tanjiro had stopped, and the spider webs had also stopped, so you took this chance to get back over to Tanjiro. "Well? Do you still refuse to take back your words?" Rui asked. You got into stance again.

"Fine. In that case, i'll slash you both into ribbons." Giant spider webs surrounded you both. You grabbed Tanjiro and hugged him close to you, using your back to try and shield him. "Big sis!" Tanjiro shouted. When you didn't feel anything, you turned around to see Nezuko.

"Nezuko!" You cried. You both grabbed Nezuko to keep her from falling. You and Tanjiro carried Nezuko over behind a tree, setting her body down to lean against it. "Nezuko!" Tanjiro yelled.

"Hey, you..... is that.... that girl..... is she your sibling? Are you all.... siblings?" Rui asked. "So what if they are?" You replied. You and Tanjiro tried keeping her limbs together from falling apart. The trees over by Rui and his sister were suddenly cut.

"Boy. Boy, let's have a chat. Come on out." Rui ordered. You put out a protective arm in front of Tanjiro.

"You see, i was really moved. Seeing the bond you three share gave me chills. I doubt there are any words in the entire world that can perfectly describe how moved i was. And yet, the only fate left for you is to die by my hands. It'd be sad if that came to pass, right?" Rui said.

"But there's an option left for you, boy. A single option that lets you escape that outcome. Those sisters of yours.... hand them over to me. If you hand them both over, i will at least spare your life." Rui continued, demanding and threatening Tanjiro.

___________________________________________________

(1075 words)