Chapter 7 | Final Selection

*second person p.o.v.*

"You're lying! No demon has ever lived that long! The only demons in here should be those who've eaten just two or three humans! They get killed during the final selection, and they even eat their own kind!" The man behind you cried. "Yeah, but i've survived all this time. Inside this wisteria prison, i've eaten at least fifty of you brats." The demon said. "Fifty...?" You muttered.

"Eleven, twelve... thirteen. That makes you two numbers fourteen and fifteen!" The demon said. "What are you talking about?" Tanjiro nervously asked. "That's how many of his disciples i've eaten. I promised myself to eat every single one of them." The demon giggled. Tanjiro gasped from beside you.

"Let's see.... there were two in particular that stood out. Those two. The more powerful one was a brat with an unusual haircolor. It was like the color of meat. He had a huge scar across his cheek. The other brat was a girl that wore a floral kimono. She was small and lacking in power, but quite nimble." Your eyes widened. 'All this time... Sabito and Makomo were killed by this demon?!' You thought.

"Those fox masks! All of his disciples wear them. Except you, little kitten. I'm familiar with the designs Urokodaki designs. They're the same style as his tengu mask! Warding masks, right? I ate them all because of the masks they wore. But i know little kitten is one of his disciples because she mentioned him. All the little foxes are inside my belly. It's like Urokodaki fed them to me!" The demon giggled once more in amusement.

You and Tanjiro had looked of anger on your faces. The demon could see the grip on your sword tighten, and your shoulders tense. "When i told that to the girl, she started crying and fell into a rage. Her deftness turned into recklessness, making her much easier to deal with. I ripped her apart, limb by limb, and then..." The demon continued to laugh as he told the story. Angered with the demon, Tanjiro ran forward. "Tanjiro! Hey!" You ran after him, slicing the hands that tried grabbing you.

You saw the demon try and punch Tanjiro, so you jumped over to him and grabbed him. Unfortunately, Tanjiro took the impact of the punch. You got there in time though, so you grabbed Tanjiro from behind and were thrown into a tree. The wind was knocked out of your lungs, and your head was now bleeding, as was Tanjiro's.

The mask fell of your face, and Tanjiro's mask was now broken. "Y/n. Y/n. Y/n...! Y/n!" You heard Hanako shout. Your eyes shot open with a gasp. You jumped away from the hand that was about to crush you, looking over to see that Tanjiro did the same. You almost gagged at the overpowering smell the demon gave off and grabbed your mask, putting it on your face.

As soon as you did, you had to cut through a bunch of arms the demon shot out of its body. "Y/n!" Tanjiro shouts, grabbing your arm and pulling you with him as he ran. "You can't defeat me by just slashing off my arms. Then again, even that pink-haired brat couldn't chop off my head!" The demon said.

You and Tanjiro stopped running, slicing off more of the demon's hands. Running at the demon, you did the same, but you smelt the demon from under you. You and Tanjiro jumped up in the air, dodging the arms. Another of its arms reached out. You rolled yourself to the side in midair, as Tanjiro moved above it. You landed on your feet, watching Tanjiro jump from its outstretched arm and slice through more of its arms, finally cutting off its head.

You sighed out in relief. "Good job, Tanjiro!" You praised as you approached him. The body of the demon immediately started to fade away. You ruffled Tanjiro's head with a smile as he chuckled. You took off your mask and glanced at the demon, giving it a sympathetic look.

You and Tanjiro slowly walked to the demon's disappearing body, feeling a sad scent radiate off of it. You and Tanjiro put both your hands in the demon's, watching the demon close his fingers around yours gently. Putting it to both of your foreheads, you and Tanjiro began to pray.

"God... please...." Tanjiro begun. "The next time this man is reborn, please make sure he doesn't turn into a demon." You finished. The hand soon fully disappeared. "Come on, Tanjiro." You say softly. He smiles and nods, following after his older sister.

*timeskip*

After seven days of fighting in Mt. Fujikasane, you and Tanjiro made it out alive, and were back to where you both first started. By the wisteria trees.

Out of every person who went to the final selection, only five came back alive. And you and Tanjiro were part of that five. "I'm gonna die. I'm a goner. Even if I survive now, I'm gonna be dead in the end anyway." A boy with yellow and orange hair muttered.

"Welcome back." The white and black-haired twins said. "Congratulations." The white-haired twin said. "We're pleased to see that you have returned safely." The black-haired twin also said. "So? What am I supposed to do now? Where's my sword?" The mohawk kid asked.

"First, we shall issue you all uniforms. We will take your measurements, after which your rank will be engraved." One of them said. "There are ten ranks in all...." The black-haired one began. "Kinoe." The white-haired one said. "Kinoto." They went back and forth. "Hinoe. Hinoto. Tsuchinoe. Tsuchinoto. Kanoe. Kanoto. Mizunoe. And Mizunoto. Currently, you are at the lowest rank, Mizunoto." They said.

"And our swords?" The mohawk kid butted in. "Today, we will let you choose the ore for your swords. However, the swords will take ten to fifteen days to complete." The twins replied. "Are you kidding me?" The mohawk kid muttered.

"But first..." The white-haired twin clapped, and crows had flown down. Reached your hand out, your crow landed on your arm, tilting its head at you. "We will now assign each of you your own Kasugai crow. These Kasugai crows are primarily used for communication." They informed. "Don't give me that crap!" The mohawk kid threw the crow off of him as he stomped towards the two twins.

"Who the hell cares about some stupid crow?!" The mohawk kid exclaimed, slapping his hand down on the white-haired twin and pulling it. "I want a sword, you hear? Hand over my sword right now. The demon slayers' sword! The color changing sword!" You put your crow gently on your shoulder, walking over to the mohawk kid.

You grab his wrist and squeezed it. "Let go of her; now. If you don't, i'll surely make you. That's a child you're hurting." You ordered calmly. "Who the hell are you?" He asked. "Let's see you try!" He gripped on the girl's hair tighter. Calmly, you squeezed his wrist even tighter, until he let go and backed away while holding his wrist. You turned around and crouched down in front of the child.

"Are you all right?" You asked softly, fixing her hair with your fingers. "I'm just fine." Her smile still remained. You stood up and turned to the black-haired child. "Are you done chatting?" The black-haired child asked. The child took off the purple cloth off the table and it revealed all the ore. "Now then, please select an ore." The child said.

"You will choose the ore used to forge your blade to slay demons yourself." The five of you stood in front of the ore, staring at it. "I have absolutely no clue." The one with the mohawk muttered. You saw Tanjiro grab his after sniffing it. Taking a step forward, you felt something telling you to grab the one closest to your left. You chose that one and examined it. "This one. This one for sure." You mumbled.

After final selection was finished, you and Tanjiro walked back to Urokodaki's house. You and Tanjiro limped down the dirt path, leaning on eachother for support. Tanjiro fell over with a grunt. "Come on, Tanjiro. I'm sorry I can't carry you." You said. "It's fine." He reassured, grabbing your outstretched hand.

You pulled him up and slung his arm around your shoulder, starting you limp your way to Urokodaki's house. It was night by the time you and Tanjiro made it back to the house. "Finally.... we're back." Tanjiro sighed. The door to the house was suddenly kicked open, and Nezuko appeared. "Nezuko! You're awake!" You and Tanjiro gasped.

___________________________________________________

(1462 words)