Chapter 40 | The Flamboyant Former Shinobi

*second person p.o.v.*

"It's ripped to shreads.... it's almost unreadable." Senjuro stated. "Was it originally like this?" You asked. "No.. it wasn't like this." Senjuro replied, shaking his head.

"The 'generational flame hashira record' is supposed to be reserved really well. I think my father tore it apart. I'm very sorry." Senjuro apologized. "Don't be! It isn't your fault, Senjuro. Please don't mind it." Tanjiro said.

You nodded. "Tanjiro's right, don't sweat it, Senjuro." You pat Senjuro's head gently with a reassuring smile.

"You purposely came all this way but you couldn't find anything about this 'hinokami kagura dance' or the 'sun breathing' my father spoke of." Senjuro trailed off, feeling bad for the both of you.

"It's fine, like Y/n said, don't sweat it. I know what we could do anyways. We'll train some more. Even though we know the steps to the 'hinokami kagura dance', i myself can't perform it perfectly." Tanjiro explained.

"Oh, is that so?" Senjuro questioned. "When i use it in my full focus breath state, my body becomes a whole lot less mobile than i imagined. That's on me. My body isn't catching up with the technique." Tanjiro said, lowering his gaze.

"Thanks to using total concentration constant, my stamina has increased, but it's still not enough. If i could use it constantly, my stamina will improve day after day, but it won't get be stronger right away. Back then, if i had been stronger, if there.... was a way i could've been strong enough to save Rengoku. I've constantly thought about it. But there is no such convenient method. There are no shortcuts. I can only flounder." You grabbed Tanjiro's shoulder and lightly squeezed it.

"For now, i will keep on moving forward as much as i can. No matter how painful it is, no matter how much i regret. And i will definitely become a strong hashira with Y/n. Just like Rengoku." Tanjiro declared.

You smiled and looked back over at Senjuro who had tears in his eyes. He began speaking about how he was to originally become Kyojuro's successor, but mentioned how his nichirin sword didn't change colour.

It seemed that you have to reach a certain level of swordsmanship skills for it to change. Senjuro gave up on that and said his brother would forgive him, which made you remember something.

"Please go down the path that you think is right." You smiled. "If there is anybody who badmouths you, i will headbutt them." Tanjiro added.

"It would be better if you stopped that." Senjuro recommended, which made Tanjiro blush out of embarrassment.

After some time, it was time to leave the Rengoku estate. "I'm glad i could talk to you both. Please be careful on your way home." Senjuro bowed.

"Our pleasure. Thank you so much for your time, Senjuro." You and Tanjiro bowed down as well. "Oh yeah, Y/n, Tanjiro. Here..." Senjuro held out Kyojuro's guard and as well as a piece of his old haori.

"This is the guard on my brother's nichirin blade, and this is a piece of fabric from his old haori that ripped off during his final battle." He explained. The fabric was a large portion of Kyojuro's haori.

"I can't accept something so valuable! I-i...." Tanjiro stammered.

"We can't possibly take something of your brother's that is so precious. His haori was something your father gave to him, i'm sure it's very valuable to your father. You should keep it, Senjuro, even though it is a small portion of the rest of his haori." You said. "Yeah, these are much too precious." Tanjiro agreed.