Chapter 44 | Training With Kotetsu

*second person p.o.v.*

The next morning, you and Tanjiro went off the search for the secret weapon.

"I wonder what weapon Kanroji was talking about. Maybe a sword? Maybe it's buried or something! This is exciting! Like we're on a treasure hunt!" Tanjiro rambled.

"This is a really great place, but the hot spring smell is strong. And not being completely healthy is pampering my nose." You said.

"Yeah, and we're supposed to find Haganezuka, but... hmm?" You followed Tanjiro's gaze to see a child and another one who had long hair and turquoise tips.

"Hmm? If i remember, that's a hashira." Tanjiro said. "What did Shinobu call him? Ah, yes. The mist hashira, Muichiro Tokito." You recalled.

Tanjiro nodded along. "Yes! That's his name!" Muichiro glanced over at you two with uninterest.

"Get out of here! Whatever happens, i won't give you the key! And i definitely won't tell you how to use it!" You then noticed the little boy who was arguing with the hashira.

Then, unexpectedly, Muichiro slapped the boy with the mask and used the side of his hand to knock him out.

You and Tanjiro immediately ran over to them and tried to help the boy. "Stop! What're you doing?!" Tanjiro demanded.

"Let go of him!" You said as you tried to pry his hands off the boy's haori. Tanjiro grabbed his wrist, but he wouldn't budge.

"You're really noisy. Who are you two?" He nonchalantly asked. "What are you doing to that child?" You asked, but your tone of voice was more demanding.

"Let go of-" Tanjiro was cut off by his own struggle. 'He has a strong grip.' You thought. He wouldn't even budge.

"You let go." You saw Muichiro raise his elbow slightly, aiming for Tanjiro's stomach. You appeared in front of Tanjiro and used your hand to stop it.

"Hm?" But then this time, he used his foot to kick you harshly in the stomach. You and Tanjiro fell back, as Tanjiro tripped on your foot.

"Y/n!" Tanjiro exclaimed, grabbing your stomach. "That was one hell of a kick." You muttered. "You reacted too slow. You should be more aware of your surroundings." Muichiro said.

He then turned to Tanjiro. "And you couldn't even lift a finger to stop my attack. I'm surprised you got into the demon slayer corps." He glanced over at the box on Tanjiro's  back.

"Hmm? That box feels strange. Do i sense a demon? What's in there? Is that-" Tanjiro slapped his hand away and glared.

"Don't touch that." He ordered sternly. While he was distracted, you took that chance to take the little boy with the mask into safety. "Are you all right?" You asked softly.

"Hey! Lemme go!" The kid squirmed. "You must be upset. That was close." You said. "Go away!" The kid continuously flailed his arms around, trying to get you away.

"I.. i won't give the key to anyone! Even if they torture me! Never! It'll break next time!" The kid trembled.

"Have you been trained to withstand torture? Even most adults can't endure it, so it's impossible that you could. You appear to be an exceedingly dumb brat. So what if it does break? Why not make it again? While you're rattling on and on with your nonsense... do you know how many people will die?" You all turned to Muichiro with disbelief.

"That's what it means to interfere with a hashira. Your time and a hashira's time have completely different values. If you used your head just a little, you'd understand. Swordsmiths can't fight. They can't save someone's life. They only have the ability to make weapons. So come on... the key! Know your place in life, and act accordingly. Because you aren't a baby." Muichiro held out his hand, waiting for the key.