Chapter 9 | Mr. Kazumi

*second person p.o.v.*

While walking through the town, you spotted a man walking. He looked beat up, and he looked as if he were in a daze. People around you murmured about something about his fiancée disappearing. You and Tanjiro walked past the man, then hearing about girls being abducted each night. That's what the Kasugai crow said. 

You and Tanjiro turned around and called out after the man. "Mr. Kazumi?" Kazumi stopped and turned around. "If you don't mind, i'd like to hear your story. Is that all right with you, sir?" You asked softly, making sure to be as nice as possible to not trigger anything from the man.

After the man explained what had happened, he brought you over to the spot where he claimed that Satoko had vanished. "This is where Satoko disappeared," He explained, "You may not believe me." You and Tanjiro turned to the man. "We believe you very well!" Tanjiro said. You took off your mask, feeling different smells becoming stronger than it was with the mask. 

"Tanjiro, help me out here. Something's not right." Tanjiro obeyed your orders and began sniffing around, leading all the way into town. Stares of concern and confusion were sent your and Tanjiro's way, but you couldn't care less. Soon, the sun began to set after sniffing around for the demon.

"I want you two to believe me. She really did vanish." You turn to Kazumi with a warm smile. "And we believe you. That's exactly why we've come here, after all." Your smile reminded him of Satoko, which saddened him. You three continued walking around the town until night came. "You're gonna keep on going?" Kazumi asked. 

"Yes." Tanjiro replied simply. "It's gotten pretty late. I'm flattered that either of you are so concerned for me, but shouldn't you both go get some rest and pick this up again tomorrow?" Kazumi asked again. "They're active during the night. We can't afford to get some rest now." Tanjiro explained. "I've picked up a new scent in this area. It's got to be somewhere nearby." You announced.

Kazumi crouched down near Tanjiro. "They?" He questioned. "Don't tell me you're both... seriously...?" Kazumi looked up at you, and all he was met with was your reassuring smile. That's when the demon's scent picked up. You put on your mask, and ran with Tanjiro and Kazumi to where you smelt the demon coming from. 

"Come on, Tanjiro. We'd better hurry." You muttered. You and Tanjiro jumped up and begun running on the rooftops of houses. You and Tanjiro slid off the roof, landing nearby where the smell came from. You and Tanjiro drew your blades and got into stance. "I smell a demon and a human girl. But i don't see them." Tanjiro informed. You both stood back-to-back, looking around with caution.

Tanjiro stepped forward and stabbed the ground, a black liquid spewing out from the ground. A green kimono was seen floating in the water. Realizing it was the girl, you grabbed her and held her bridal style whilst jumping back with Tanjiro. A hand stuck out of the ground, holding part of the girl's kimono. 

Out came a deformed demon with blue hair and three horns. "Where are all the girls you kidnapped?!" Tanjiro asked. The demon's teeth grinded together, making a sound that wasn't pleasant to the ears. "I've got two more questions for you!" Tanjiro continued. The demon continued grinding its teeth, then disappeared into the black liquid.

Kazumi had finally made it over and stopped beside you. "What was that?" He asked. "Mr. Kazumi. Please take care of her and stand nearby. As long as you stay close to one or both of us, we can protect you." You give the girl in your arms to Kazumi and draw your sword, looking around for the demon with Tanjiro. 

"Tanjiro, i smell the demon. I'll cover you, go!" Tanjiro went ahead and ran. Three pairs of hands tried reaching out for Tanjiro, but he dodged and jumped. Tanjiro did the eighth form (waterfall basin) and shook off the demons as the waterfall took of each of their arms, missing its vulnerable spots. The demons disappeared into the ground again.

Immediately, you and Tanjiro step back to Kazumi, getting into protective stances. That's when the smell got stronger again. Before one of the demons' hands could reach Kazumi and the girl, you were there in a flash. 'Second form. Water wheel!' You slashed at the demon, but the cut wasn't deep enough. 

You tried cutting off the head with quick slashes, but the demon retreated back into the ground and put distance between you and it. "Damn you! Screw off, will ya?! That girl's gonna go stale, goddamn it! She's already sixteen, y'know? If i don't devour her soon, she's just gonna keep losing flavour by the second!" Then the demon pointed at you. "Like you! I'm guessing you're eighteen, right? Because you're stale!" The demon shouted.

"Don't talk about my sister like that!" Tanjiro exclaimed. "Calm down, my other self. So what? There are gonna be nights like this. I've already fed on plenty of sixteen-year-old girls in this town. They were all quite meaty and delicious. I'm satisfied." One of the other demons said from behind you. "Well, i'm not satisfied, my other self! I wanna devour more!" The one in front of you whined. 

"You monster! Return Satoko, the one you abducted the night before last, to me!" Kazumi demanded. The demon grinded it's teeth together and made that unpleasant noise again. The third demon appeared on a roof nearby, also grinding its teeth. 

"Satoko?" The demon behind questioned. You all turned to it as it opened up his coat. There were many different hairpins and accessories there. And there was a red bow, one that belonged to Satoko.

"If her hairpin is among these collectables, then i've already eaten her." The demon explained. Tears fell from Kazumi's eyes as he let the information sink it. His fiancé was eaten and dead already. The three demons disappeared, and reappeared again. One went after you, and one went after Tanjiro. 

The demon after you tried grabbing you, but you dodged and ended up slicing its arm off. 'Still not deep enough.' You thought. The demon went underground again, reappearing behind you. You jumped away before it could grab you, taking a glance at Tanjiro to see that the demon he was fighting try and poke out his eye. "Tanjiro!" But the box behind him flung open and the demon was met with a harsh kick to the face.

___________________________________________________

(1106 words)