Chapter 17 | Drumming

*second person p.o.v.*

After walking for a bit, you three neared a mansion. "I smell blood. But this particular scent...." Tanjiro trailed off. "You smell something?" Zenitsu asked. 

"It's something i've never smelled before." You muttered. "I don't know about that, but do you hear that sound? Also, are we gonna work together after all?" Zenitsu asked, cupping a hand to his ear. 

"You can hear something? Well, what is it?" You asked. You and Tanjiro stopped when you saw two scared little children. "K-kids...." Zenitsu mumbled. "I wonder what's wrong. They look so scared." You thought aloud.

You and Tanjiro slowly walked to the children. "Hello there. What are you doing out here?" You asked softly. They stepped back in fear, so you and Tanjiro stopped. Tanjiro got down to one knee and smiled at the two kids. 

"Okay, you guys wanna see something cool?" Tanjiro reached out his hand to show Zenitsu's sparrow. "Ta-da! It's a tame sparrow!" The sparrow cutely chirped and jumped and flapped its wings. 

"See? Isn't he cute?" You asked with a small tilt of your head. Their bodies relaxed, and they fell on the ground will tears welling in their eyes.

"Please tell us. Did something happen? If so, we're only here to help." You soothed. "Is this your house?" Tanjiro asked. "No. No, it's not. This is... a-a monster's.... house! Our big brother got taken away. While we were walking down the road late at night, this monster showed up out of nowhere. It didn't even look at us, just our brother." The boy fearfully explained. 

"And they went inside that house, right?" Tanjiro asked. "Yeah." He nodded. "And you two followed them here? You did well! Great job. You're both very brave." You praised. "We followed the traces of his blood. Because he got hurt!" The boy explained while his little sister cried.

"Don't worry! We're going to defeat the bad guy and rescue your brother!" Tanjiro reassured. "Really? You will?" The girl asked hopefully. "Of course." You replied. "Y/n, Tanjiro. Say, what's this drumming sound? This creepy sound never stops. Is it some kind of drum?" Zenitsu asked. 

"Sound?" Tanjiro questioned, looking at you. "I don't hear anything." You shrugged. That's when drumming was heard. It got louder and louder, until you saw a bloodied body get shot out from the house. You immediately went and stood in front of the children who backed away.

You crouched down and took off your mask to show that you were friendly. "I'm only here to help. So please, cover your eyes for the time being. Tanjiro, you go check the man out. See if he's all right." Tanjiro nodded and ran to the man. 

Cautiously, you put your hands on the children's shoulders. "Everything will be fine. We'll get your brother back." You reassured, tilting your head with a close-eyed smile. They both let go of each other and hugged your waist. They felt comfortable around you since you had a trusting a kind aura. A sudden loud roar was heard, followed by drumming.

You hugged the children close to you and put your mask back on. "Hey.... is this man your...." Tanjiro was about to ask. You felt the boy shake his head no. "I-it's not him. Our brother was wearing a persimmon-colored kimono." The boy replied. Tanjiro stood and turned to you and Zenitsu. 

"All right. Y/n, Zenitsu, let's go!" Tanjiro said. "You guys have to stay here, all right? The three of us will save your brother." You reassured, giving each of them a head pat. They let go of you and hugged eachother, sniffling and all. You felt Tanjiro grab your hand and walk to the house. "What's wrong?" You asked.

"Apparently Zenitsu doesn't want to help these children find their brother." Tanjiro said darkly. "Is that so? I see." You sighed. "Hey, come on! Why are you making that ogre face at me? Fine, i'll go!" Zenitsu hugged the box on Tanjiro's back. "I have no intention of forcing you to." Tanjiro said. "I said i'll go!" Zenitsu cried. 

Tanjiro stopped then turned around, walking back to the children. "I forgot," Tanjiro set Nezuko's box down. "In case of emergency, i'm leaving this box with you. Even if something happens, you two will be safe." Tanjiro stood up again, "All right, we're going." He announced.

You all walked to the house and opened the screen door. You all stepped foot in the house and walked in, looking around cautiously. "Y/n! Tanjiro! Hey, guys! You'll protect me, right? You guys will protect me, right?" Zenitsu asked. 

"Zenitsu, i hate to put you on the spot, but.... Tanjiro has a broken rib and a broken leg from our previous battle, and i have two broken ribs and a broken leg. Neither of our wounds are fully healed yet. So-" You were cut off by Zenitsu exclaiming.

"What do you mean broken bones? Don't go breaking bones on me, you hear?! There's no way you can protect me if you've got fractures! I-i-i'm gonna die! What am i gonna do?! I'm gonna die! Die! Die! Die!" You and Tanjiro gave eachother a look and looked back to Zenitsu. 

"Broken bones? How could you? How could either of you?! I'm a dead man now! The odds of me dying have increased to ninety percent! I'm good as dead! Dead! Dead!" Zenitsu was holding his head and kicking around on the floor.

"Zenitsu, quiet down! You'll be all right!" Tanjiro said. "Don't sugarcoat it!" Zenitsu went into different poses as he panicked and hyperventilated. "I'm not! I can tell, all right? Zenitsu, you're-" Tanjiro stopped himself short. 

"You two shouldn't be here!" You scolded. "M-miss, we heard scratching sounds from inside that box!" They cried as they ran over. "Even still, you shouldn't have left it behind. I mean, that's one of the things i value over my own life." You said.

Tanjiro sighed and grabbed the little girl's shoulder soothingly. That's when you heard a loud bang. Zenitsu accidentally bent back pushed Tanjiro into another room with the little girl, and when Tanjiro was shoved you were shoved to the side. 

"Sorry! My butt..." Suddenly, you were moved into another room with a bang of the drum. You were alone and by yourself. "Are you kidding me?" You muttered with a long sigh.

___________________________________________________

(1065 words)