Chapter 87: Training Day

"So...who wants to go first?" Regina asks.

No one from Auradon or the Isle raises their hand, the anxiety of working with magic, something that is usually forbidden or nonexistent in their world, makes them extremely skeptical about this training.

Eventually, Mal steps forward. Out of the group, she was the only one who understood her powers and had a decent amount of control. Maleficent stands off to the side, beaming in pride at her alternate daughter's confidence.

"Okay then... Mal, I need you to concentrate... focus your energy and hit me with whatever power you can manage."

The teen looks at the Queen like she's crazy.

"What?"

"I want you to use your magic and take your best shot."

Mal wants to continue arguing, but she trusts that these guys know what they're doing. She shrugs and gets into a strong battle stance.

Closing her eyes, Mal focuses on the energy... the magic that flows through her veins. She inhales slowly and then pushes her right hand forward.

In a flash, a ball of green energy leaves her hand. It's not very big, but it works as it becomes the desired projectile hurtling towards the Evil Queen.

Regina uses her hand without flinching, deflects the blast, and sends it off into the air, where Emma uses her own magic to disintegrate it.

"Excellent shot," Regina praises her and Mal smiles. "Do it again."

The excitement grows inside of Mal. It feels absolutely amazing to be able to actually practice using magic. Her body seems to fill with new momentum, and she's energized and motivated. She uses her left hand this time, striking a more dramatic pose when launching her attack.

Another ball of green energy, much bigger than the first comes flying towards Regina and again she deflects it with ease. She can feel the sheer power of this girl's magic, extremely strong, which means she needed to maintain control as much as possible.

"One more time," Regina says.

Mal does a full turn, her long purple hair twirling with her. She's trying to exaggerate her movements to appear even more impressive and this time uses both hands to let out a blast.

This time, Regina uses both hands to block the attack and it's so powerful, that she's actually forced to take a few steps back to accommodate the blast and prevent herself from being hit. This girl was certainly someone to be reckoned with. The kind of magic user that Rumpelstiltskin searched for. The Queen didn't doubt that the Dark One would want to take time to train this girl.

"Excellent Mal," she says, once the magic had dissipated. "You are a natural."

The dragon girl grinned from ear to ear, and out of the corner of her eyes, gazed at Ben. He looked at her with an expression that could only be described as shocked, amazed, and impressed. This is who she was; a powerful future queen and ally to Auradon. This is who she should be allowed to be and not suppress what she's been born with or be judged for who she used to be.

"Thank you," she says with pride. She wishes that Uma was watching because it would show that snobby pirate who truly was the boss.

Jay, who had been watching Mal the whole time, becomes pumped and excited. When she steps back, he steps forward, ready to take these powers for a test drive.

Regina stands ready. "All right Jay, show us what you can do."

Jay uses both hands and lets out a blast of fire towards Regina. However, it's not controlled in a fixated beam and flames spew out in different directions, not just at the target. Audrey screams and Chad dives for cover behind a tree. Fortunately, Emma uses her magic to shield the bystanders, while Crystal extinguishes the rogue flames to prevent a forest fire.