Chapter 29: Check the Introductions

"Hello," a doctor with bleach blonde hair that was spiked in certain places. He looked like he should be at a punk-rock concert rather than working in a hospital. He approaches the place where Mal is sitting on an examination table. She was unable to stay with Ben and Evie in the flurry of hospital activity. Nurses were rushing everywhere with these patients, the place was a mess of chaos, and both of her friends were wheeled away on gurneys in commotion. Mal tried to insist that she was fine and that she didn't need any medical attention, but a nurse put her in an examination room and locked the door. Normally, Mal would just pick the lock, but it was locked from the outside, so she was stuck until the doctor entered. "Sorry it took so long to see you since all of you have come through that portal, we've been busier than ever."

Mal crosses her arms in annoyance, knowing this freaky doctor should be treating her friends rather than her.

"There's no reason for me to be here, I'm fine."

"I will be the judge of that," he says firmly, taking his stethoscope from around his neck and putting it against her chest. "I'm Doctor Whale by the way and your name is..."

"Mal..."

"Well Mal, just take a deep breath in for me."

Knowing that the faster this is over, the faster she can find her friends, the daughter of Maleficent does as she is told. She takes a frustrated breath in.

"And out."

She releases it.

"I know travelling through portals is a nasty business, so we need to give each of you a check-up to ensure you weren't hurt by any of the magical side effects..." he explains. He then reaches into the pocket of his lab coat and removes a small bright light. She begins shining it in her eyes. She blinks rapidly, not appreciative of a light in her eyes. "Can you look up at the ceiling please?"

She rolls her eyes upward.

"And down to your left... now right... Now follow my finger..."

Mal's eyes begin to glow green as she continues to tolerate this ridiculous exam. Dr. Whale looks surprised for a moment but then goes about examining her ears as if nothing had happened.

"And have you felt any pain in your joints or your head?"

"No," she grumbles.

"Not even when you banged your wings against the building? I'm surprised turning into a dragon doesn't cause more physiological pain to the body."

"Wait, you know about that?"

"This is a small town, nothing stays a secret for very long, plus it's hard not to see a giant purple dragon flying through town."

He then puts on a pair of rubber gloves. He gently takes her neck in his hands.

Mal pulls away, very alarmed. It feels as if he's going to strangle her.

"What are you doing?!" she screeches.

"I'm checking to see if you have any head trauma by rotating your neck."

"I don't,"

"Well you may know that, but I don't. I'll be very careful, and it will only take a minute, I promise."

With a sigh, she lets the doctor do what he needs to. He rotates her neck from all sides and checks for any bumps or bruises. Dr. Whale then goes to the nearby counter to search for more supplies.

"I'm just going to take a blood sample now..." he says holding up a needle.

Mal flinches, never having liked needles. She pulls her arm away. "Why do you need my blood?"