Chapter 40: Changed?

Ben, Jane, Carlos, Jay, and Doug sit in the waiting room of the hospital, while Mal and Evie went in to comfort Dizzy, who was clearly distraught and confused by everything. No doubt anyone would be waking up in a different realm.

They all stare at their strange surroundings, unsure of how to take in everything that has happened. They are in a small town populated by alternative versions of their parents and it also contains powerful magic, something that all the kids from both Auradon and the Isle are not completely familiar or comfortable with. One of the decrees from Ben's parents was to make magic a thing of the past, something to avoid and to rely more on science and technology than anything else. So the casual use of magic used by Crystal was slightly off-putting for all of them, especially after Jay had blurted out that the daughter of Rumpelstiltskin had dark magic as well.

"Do you think Dizzy will be okay?" Ben asks

"I hope so," Jane says, leaning her head on Carlos' shoulder. The son of Cruella has not taken his arm off his girlfriend since the docks and he knew it was because of how scared Jane was acting. Gone was the tough persona she put on while battling the War Frats; the sensitive and vulnerable Jane is back, and while Carlos liked both personalities, he knew he had to be kind and comforting to her more fragile side.

"As long as Evie is there, I'm sure she'll be fine," Doug says with more confidence than most of the kids from Auradon would have at this moment. "It is a lot to process."

"No kidding," Carlos says. "I'd probably react the way she did."

"You did though," Dude says as he lays at the teenagers' feet.

"Do you ever stop talking?" Jay mutters, rolling his eyes.

Crystal comes up to the group of kids, carrying her now very alert baby brother in her arms. She carefully approaches the kids and sits down across from them. She allows Gideon to cling to her hand as his curious eyes take in these new people.

Jane's blue eyes immediately light up and she leaves the comfort of Carlos' arms to get a closer look at the baby. She sits down next to Crystal.

"He's adorable," the daughter of Fairy Godmother squeaks. The baby looks at this new face with curiosity and waves his hand forward like he wants to touch her. "What's his name?"

"Gideon," Crystal answers.

"Hello there Gideon," the teen says. "My name is Jane."

As if he understands what she said, Gideon smiles at Jane and becomes more excited. He makes panting noises and bounces up and down on his half-sister's lap. He reaches out eagerly.

"Looks like he wants to meet you," Crystal says. "Would you like to hold him?"

The fairy teen hesitates, suddenly feeling her confidence being shaken. She'd never been around babies that much but still found them to be adorable and irresistible to play with. She becomes afraid that she might mess it up by dropping him or that he might start crying. She looks over at Carlos for a long moment and he understands that she's nervous. He gives her a strong nod and then goes to sit on the other side of her. He pats her on the shoulder and smiles.

"Uh...yes, I would like to hold him."

Crystal then slowly lifts Gideon and then places him in Jane's lap. The teenager awkwardly tries to get her arms around him, not used to the sudden weight. Gideon begins to kick and squirm in ways that makes Jane afraid that he'll fall onto the floor or that she might be hurting him. She tries to hold onto his hands and then tries to get her arms around his tiny shoulders. However, the baby continues to squirm, not liking that he is being restricted. Fortunately, Crystal comes to her rescue